Updating Firmware Should Not Be...

JKos

Updating firmware should not be this freakin' aggravating! I've been trying for over two hours with at least 25 attempts. I'm using an interface listed as being good to go (M-Audio Audiophile 2496). My problem is that MIDI-OX gets done transferring the sysex file but the progress bar on the Axe-Fx only gets about 5/6 of the way across; sometimes more, sometimes less.

I read everything I could find before even starting and fretted over it given the trouble others have too. There has to be a better way to do firmware updates. This is ridiculous.

- John

Re: Updated Firmware Should Not Be...

mwc2112 said:
Try it using the editor.
Not Lars' editor... Never once had an issue updating firmware with it... I've also tecnically ever had an issue with Axe-edit with the one firmware update I tried back in the day...

JKos-Do you have any Daw Software? If so, try that. System Exclusive. I have and use the AP2496 and have updated firmware everytime since 7.0 Never a problem. I also used the new editor to see how it does, and it works fine here. WinXp Pro AP2496/Win 7-AP2496/ Works fine on both OS's.

I use a Presonus Firebox with MidiOx, and with the settings that are (or were?) in the files that come with the firmware, I've installed every single firmware update on first try, for over two years now. I know this doesn't help the OP out much, but I don't think the problem is the Axe-Fx. The only thing I had to do with MidiOx is set the buffers to what the instructions said in the file that comes with the firmware (don't remember which one) but I never have an issue...

JKos said:
Updating firmware should not be this freakin' aggravating! I've been trying for over two hours with at least 25 attempts. I'm using an interface listed as being good to go (M-Audio Audiophile 2496). My problem is that MidiOX gets done transferring the sysex file but the progress bar on the Axe-Fx only gets about 5/6 of the way across; sometimes more, sometimes less.

I read everything I could find before even starting and fretted over it given the trouble others have too. There has to be a better way to do firmware updates. This is ridiculous.

- John
This has to be something to do with your system, I've been updating every time there is new firmware, for over 3 years and never had a single problem with my system, MAC/828 MII/SysEx.(could be just luck..)
I know this isn't any help for you, and I imagine how frustrating it can be, but I don't think there is much Fractal Audio can do, everyone has a different PC or Mac configuration, what could help in future AXE-Fx hardware would be to have some card reader, like the TC G-force has and install firmware/patches from the card.
I've never used MidiOx, but isn't there any transfer speed/buffers settings or something that can be adjusted? that's probably the problem.

JKos said:
Updating firmware should not be this freakin' aggravating! I've been trying for over two hours with at least 25 attempts. I'm using an interface listed as being good to go (M-Audio Audiophile 2496). My problem is that MidiOX gets done transferring the sysex file but the progress bar on the Axe-Fx only gets about 5/6 of the way across; sometimes more, sometimes less.

- John

I use the same hardware & just use MidiOX as per the instructions that come with the update & have not had an issue. Have you set MidiOX as per the "Firmware" file? i.e:

Low Level I/O Buffers: size - 256, number - 16
Milliseconds between buffers: 90

this might be a stupid question,but,did you unzip(decompress)the file prior to upload into midi-ox?
i had similar problems with midi-ox.it gets done sending the file before the Axe finishes uploading.even with the correct settings i had that problem.now i use SendSx,and not a one problem since! :) try it.

I had the same problem as you with the 2496. I downgraded drivers to 5.10.00.5052 as suggested in the Interfaces thread and all was good. I used MidiOx to get the job done as the Editor does appear to still have some troubles in this department.

Good luck!

Casper said:
You also may have to slow the data rate in the midiox.

I have always used an M audio Uno and really didn't have trouble until the last two firmware updates. Slowing the data rate did the trick. You may also want to uninstall and reinstall the drivers. I have to do that with the Uno but 9 times out of 10 it does the trick.

Yes, I had tried the suggested MIDI-OX settings but they didn't work as I would get an error message within a second or two of starting the send. After researching the error, I found settings which solved that issue.

Downloaded SendSX and had the same issue of the send being done according to SendSX but not according to the Axe-Fx. Either that or the progress bar would reset to the beginning which I understand indicates corrupted data was received. I also swapped the cables with out any change.

Finally, success!!! Pulled out an ancient, generic sound card with a combo game/MIDI port. Found the dongle. And... Success the very first try!

I didn't try rolling back the Audiophile drivers as I thought of the above first. It would be very interesting to roll them back and see if it works. It it does work, that would show it is a driver problem not a hardware implementation or cable issue.

Thanks for letting me vent guys. I'll still say there are more reliable ways to update firmware. The SysEx method is obviously quite touchy.

- John

If this were Microsoft, I reckon everybody here would be up in arms, whether they themselves experienced problems or not - it seems that the Fractal community is quite forgiving, maybe because the Axe sounds so bloody good.

For every person here who says "this system works" there is another who says it doesn't.

If Fractal made a unit to transfer the Firmware updates successfully every single time without fail I WOULD BUY IT - the current road is far too fraught with anxiety for my liking.

Over,
Bob.

onebaldbloke said:
If this were Microsoft, I reckon everybody here would be up in arms, whether they themselves experienced problems or not - it seems that the Fractal community is quite forgiving, maybe because the Axe sounds so bloody good.

For every person here who says "this system works" there is another who says it doesn't.

If Fractal made a unit to transfer the Firmware updates successfully every single time without fail I WOULD BUY IT - the current road is far too fraught with anxiety for my liking.

Over,
Bob.

FWIW, I run Linux on my computer, use the el-cheapo UNO midi interface, and I've never had a problem updating firmware all the way back to version 3.09! Not one single failure! I think the poor Axe-Fx is always taking the rap for the shoddy midi support in WinBlows and Crapple! :twisted: :lol: :mrgreen:

quonsar said:
onebaldbloke said:

Over,
Bob.

FWIW, I run Linux on my computer, use the el-cheapo UNO midi interface, and I've never had a problem updating firmware all the way back to version 3.09! Not one single failure! I think the poor Axe-Fx is always taking the rap for the shoddy midi support in WinBlows and Crapple! :twisted: :lol: :mrgreen:

Quite possibly, but I can't help but wonder why, for example, a rather expensive RME FireFace replete with German fastidiousness about drivers has the same failure rate as an el cheapo interface!

onebaldbloke said:
I upgraded my computer recently and the old one is sitting out in the jam room - it's sole purpose is for firmware updates! It hasn't missed a beat yet and I am not game to try the new one for fear I will fry an EPIRB or something!!

onebaldbloke said:

Over,
Bob.

All firmware update problems are usually caused by either incorrect settings or problems with the unit used to send to the device. I had some trouble updating my Line6 M13's firmware and at first it was because the newest drivers for my audio interface broke the MIDI functionality. Downgraded to older drivers and after that it was entirely because of settings. Sent the firmware again with more delay and it worked just fine. Have had no problems with the Axe-Fx in that department.

Unfortunately MIDI just isn't a particularly good way to transfer big chunks of data.

Back
Top Bottom