Updating Firmware Question

Juan Loco

Hi there
I am currently running an Axe FX II XL+ with Quantum 8.02 firmware. This is rock solid so am a bit nervous about updating to Ares. My main concerns are, will it still be totally stable, will I lose my presets, amps etc and basically 'if it ain't bust' etc...is there any real need to upgrade?

Thanks

If you backup your system and presets regularly (a must IMO), you can easily switch between firmwares without fear of losing anything, and you can judge for yourself if Ares does it for you.

As always Brad’s advice is rock solid. There will be some differences in sound between firmware. If you back up your current setting you can try the new sounds and if you don’t like them you can just reinstall the old firmware that you’re using now and be right back where you started no worse for wear

Thanks guys, yes I have plenty of back ups. So are you saying if you do a full backup it saves the current Firmware as well as everything else so you can do a full restore back to where you were?

So, one final question, if I backup current presets, system etc, then update firmware, does it erase the current presets in the unit and if so can they be loaded back in?

So, one final question, if I backup current presets, system etc, then update firmware, does it erase the current presets in the unit and if so can they be loaded back in?

No, updating the firmware does not erase your presets. Think of it as if you are updating Windows on your PC. All your data is not affected. In either case, if something does go wrong, which rarely happens, that’s why you backup your presets and your data on your PC.

No, updating the firmware does not erase your presets. Think of it as if you are updating Windows on your PC. All your data is not affected. In either case, if something does go wrong, which rarely happens, that’s why you backup your presets and your data on your PC.
Thanks for the quick reply, I just keep getting told 'it will sound different' so was worrying it would lose presets and the amps etc I use

Thanks for the quick reply, I just keep getting told 'it will sound different' so was worrying it would lose presets and the amps etc I use

'It will sound different', is in reference to the changes in the firmware, ie., changes to the the amp. modelling algorithms, changes to the effects modelling algorithms, etc., which may or may not cause some or all of your presets to 'sound different'.

That makes sense,, will I still have the same list of amps etc available after the update though even though they may sound slightly different?

Back
Top Bottom