Updating Factory Presets

Awesome that this is being done and I really do appreciate it but it also really confuses me on the "when to update presets" situation. There have been some moderators and others answering the question "do I need to update my factory presets" with the response that we should read the release notes and if they say not to update then don't.

Well, the Q8 release notes don't saying anything about updating factory presets yet the guy at the top of the food chain thought it important enough to do that for Q8 that he took time out from his other projects to do this. Again, I am very grateful to him for doing that - Fractals care for their customers is second to none - but I think it highlights the fact that confusion abounds on how to handle factory and personal presets when new releases come out. "To toggle (amps) or not to toggle - that is the question" - as the great bard once said.

Awesome that this is being done and I really do appreciate it but it also really confuses me on the "when to update presets" situation. There have been some moderators and others answering the question "do I need to update my factory presets" with the response that we should read the release notes and if they say not to update then don't.

Well, the Q8 release notes don't saying anything about updating factory presets yet the guy at the top of the food chain thought it important enough to do that for Q8 that he took time out from his other projects to do this. Again, I am very grateful to him for doing that - Fractals care for their customers is second to none - but I think it highlights the fact that confusion abounds on how to handle factory and personal presets when new releases come out. "To toggle (amps) or not to toggle - that is the question" - as the great bard once said.

The factory presets were last updated for Q6.01 I believe. Q7.X (I don't recall if it was 1 or 2 and I don't feel like looking it up :)) had major algorithm changes and the release notes stated that there was a good likelihood you would have to revisit your presets. The factory presets are not necessarily updated on every firmware release that mentions that the users might want to revisit their personal presets.

It would be awesome if there was a new one called "'80s Rack Preamp (now leave me alone)". Based, maybe, on a JMP-1?
There is already a JMP-1 in there....I think the popular one that people always request is the ADA MP-1.
I'd love to see it in there as well...but I'm guessing after 30 minutes of messing with it, I'd be like....meh, back to my other favs in the Axe.

I toggled!
I had posted I didn't like Q8. After all the fun you guys are having, I gave it another go.
Loaded Q8, checked some presets, didn't like the general sound, so I did the following...
Opened AE, copied the Amp block from a preset, switched amp on the original block, also did 'reset', put switched amp back to original, then re-input settings manually reading from the 'copied' block.
I A/B'd both of them and there was a difference between the two, the freshly adjusted one sounded great, so the toggle worked for me!
The same thing happened to me as Cliff, I ended up playing too much with the first three I adjusted, so I unplugged Les Paul and just toggle-adjusted its bank of sounds to stop me noodling!
The presets sound absolutely fantastic now and the clarity is so good I find the neck p.u. sounds less muddy.
Only one amp changed radically for me, the Blanknship Leeds, sound a lot more bassy.
The sharpness and clarity is great.
One thing though, I held off from adjusting my Jem sounds as the firmware sounds so good, I reckoned my head would explode or my heart would stop if I did the Legato 100 or Euro Red.
I shall do that tomorrow!

I love both presets that you shared a lot.
Thank you Cliff for doing, that tremendous amount of work!

Oops, sorry, I was being too vague and sarcastic for my own good. I was actually talking, yet again, about the ADA MP-1.
And I actually don't doubt that I would get sick of it, too... but I have a little hobby of combing the internet for bits of information about famous guitar rigs/settings, and copping the rig as nearly as possible in the Axe-Fx II (for my cover band).
I will try the Voodoo Mod one, though... thanks!

There is already a JMP-1 in there....I think the popular one that people always request is the ADA MP-1.
I'd love to see it in there as well...but I'm guessing after 30 minutes of messing with it, I'd be like....meh, back to my other favs in the Axe.
You almost got a like from me... but you had to dismiss the mighty MP-1 as something you would tire of after 30minutes; nothing 'meh' about it, baby! :p

If not an actual MP-1 how about a 'by ear' FAS Rack Pre someday Cliff? :cool: You crushed it on a lot of those FAS models.

Back
Top Bottom