Updated with Vids: Three Monitors - comparing Friedman ASM12, Xitone MBritt, Xitone Active Wedge

sskkmm

Power User
For those interested. Here are the comparison pics with a Timmy for scale.

Did a quick audio test using iPad to record comparisons and it might work, but too late now to crank back up. Will create a loop tomorrow and try to capture some of the nuances and write up a few of my thoughts on these three. Would love to find some one local with a CLR to compare. I can also pull out my Alto TS212 and TS110a for comparison's sake. I can tell you that indeed my Friedman is for sale - but not due to the sound! They are all amazing and work great in different ways. Indeed the Xitone active wedge is prob my favorite due to size and weight! More to come I promise.

CiOAMk0.jpg

Last edited:
Ok, this morning I set up my Zoom q8 on the floor and recorded a couple loops - one clean, one crunchy. I used the stock Looper Demo factory preset in my AX8. I had early did my best to equalize volume using a dB meter on my phone.

Clean: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLWPOWuzuTReb4zqIby5U-dIOtBrcFua1u
Crunch: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLWPOWuzuTReYevAzx7BStR02U22FNEINM

YZpsBeP.jpg

Very scientific, I know. Here are the vids....clean and crunch. I didn't move the camera on purpose so there is some unevenness in the stereo field but whatever. Played with my Summers-ified Nash TC63:

Kn40l3D.jpg

Clean: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLWPOWuzuTReb4zqIby5U-dIOtBrcFua1u

Crunch: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLWPOWuzuTReYevAzx7BStR02U22FNEINM

Last edited:
Will try to compare these two a bit more. Sold the asm12 today so can’t do any more recordings with that.

The Britt and the ASM seemed very similar (hard to know what you're hearing in the room though).
I tried the Britt with open back, haven't tried with closed back. Sounds really good.

The Britt and the ASM seemed very similar (hard to know what you're hearing in the room though).
It's a valiant effort, but it's pretty much impossible to accurately record and play back what a speaker sounds like. You've got the speakers under test, heavily influenced by the room (all of them are against a wall, and one of them is in a three-surface corner). Besides, how do you judge what a speaker sounds like when you're listening to it through...your own speakers, in your own room? :)

It's a valiant effort, but it's pretty much impossible to accurately record and play back what a speaker sounds like. You've got the speakers under test, heavily influenced by the room (all of them are against a wall, and one of them is in a three-surface corner). Besides, how do you judge what a speaker sounds like when you're listening to it through...your own speakers, in your own room? :)

To be fair, even Pete Thorn has tried to do the same, micing up an FRFR with an area mic so YouTubers could get a “feel” for it.

In this case, I’m glad the OP went through the effort. The ASM sounded guitar-voiced in comparison to the others, which leads me to believe it’s not super flat. I’ll probably skip trying an ASC thanks to this comparison.

To my ears all three had their own little flavor! Given the room, I liked the M-Britt the best! both open and closed, the Xitone wedge sounded more balanced and the Freidman sounded a bit heavy in the lows.

To be fair, even Pete Thorn has tried to do the same, micing up an FRFR with an area mic so YouTubers could get a “feel” for it.

In this case, I’m glad the OP went through the effort. The ASM sounded guitar-voiced in comparison to the others, which leads me to believe it’s not super flat. I’ll probably skip trying an ASC thanks to this comparison.

The MBritt and the XITone sound better and are louder than the ASC... The MBritt has more highs than the wedge FWIW

~SS

The MBritt and the XITone sound better and are louder than the ASC... The MBritt has more highs than the wedge FWIW

~SS
I kind of noticed this as well, the top end had a more glass like apeel to it. This could have been because the speaker was dead center to the recording device but the fact that all three were pretty close to the mic should be pretty close representation of how they sound.

Thanks all, yeah not the best room but as I was comparing for my own sake it was easy enough to be somewhat scientific in trying to capture the room sound and compare what I had. Honestly, I am/was happy with all of them...I just ended up liking the smaller and lighter Xitones over the ASM12. And the band - esp drummer - prefer the open back for times when we don't go direct with everything.

Back
Top Bottom