Updated: Volume Drop on FW V19 - Best course of action for adjustment.

mwd

Power User
I installed firmware 19.0 prior to practice and noticed a drop in volume on my presets. We play hybrid with 3 live musicians to backing track so it was immediately noticed both audibly and visually on the mixer meters. I checked release notes and didn't see it referenced. I use preset per song so it's quite a few presets to adjust. I am wondering if there is a reset or resave or refresh procedure I should try before I start adjusting.

Sound quality is great. Look forward to the new firmware direction and possibilities.

Updated Here

Last edited:
I installed firmware 19.0 prior to practice and noticed a drop in volume on my presets. We play hybrid with 3 live musicians to backing track so it was immediately noticed both audibly and visually on the mixer meters. I checked release notes and didn't see it referenced. I use preset per song so it's quite a few presets to adjust. I am wondering if there is a reset or resave or refresh procedure I should try before I start adjusting.

Sound quality is great. Look forward to the new firmware direction and possibilities.
I haven't seen any mention of volume differences, but since power amp modeling was changed I imagine it's possible some amps have differences.

I think tweaking is the only answer...

Doesn't seem like much, maybe 1 to 2 db. My leads on given songs kind of morphed into the background and my channel on the mixer is visibly lower. Playing with the backing tracks, which are volume consistent, made it a bit more noticeable. I can't tell if it's every preset as we didn't go thru all the songs. I will know tomorrow night at practice and it's not a big deal. I just wanted to make sure there wasn't a quick zap before I start adjusting presets or automated mixer levels. Thank you folks.

As to Output Knobs, both of us (guitarist) keep the output volume at exactly 50% as our reference so we don't have to deal with moving targets.

@mwd Adjust the input gain for your Axe channel on your mixer and that should solve the problem if the volume drops seem universal. If it’s a preset by preset difference, you’ll need to adjust internally. But if you feel it’s across the board, adjusting the input gain to compensate should balance the rest of the dominos.

chink chink (taps glass) ahem...I do not wish to hijack this thread but would just like to take a moment to announce that this weekend I discovered the preset levelling tool. Being currently just a home player and never out of arms reach of my mixer channel I have in no way been hindered by my ignorance but still, hurray for me. Thankyou, you've been a great audience...

chink chink (taps glass) ahem...I do not wish to hijack this thread but would just like to take a moment to announce that this weekend I discovered the preset levelling tool. Being currently just a home player and never out of arms reach of my mixer channel I have in no way been hindered by my ignorance but still, hurray for me. Thankyou, you've been a great audience...
Yes! I recently used it to level all my presets as well. They weren't terribly different from each other and readings on a meter aren't a perfect gauge as to how it's going to sound live, but it was a massive help. I plan to use it to level my keyboard presets as well, since those are all over the map...

Yes! I recently used it to level all my presets as well. They weren't terribly different from each other and readings on a meter aren't a perfect gauge as to how it's going to sound live, but it was a massive help. I plan to use it to level my keyboard presets as well, since those are all over the map...
For me I found getting them levelled in the box helped to then balance them tonally i.e. this ones a bit dull/bright etc... I should check the gain staging on my mixer as the Axe level is at the lower end of the fader scale where raising it seems to affect the presence of the signal as I open the fader up, if you get me:)

This must have escaped me... I need to investigate!

This must have escaped me... I need to investigate!
I was lurking on 'that' forum on the weekend, you know, 'that' one. Some guy posted a free Axe preset and it was pointed out to him that it was too hot. Someone posted a Cooper Carter video of Things You Need To Know (or something along those lines) which included some useful levels info.

I want to state that one way or another this turned out to be operator error. My reference point on Output 1 is 50% and I never touch it. In spite of that I found it at 44% which is just enough to reduce the volume in the amounts I described. Put it back to 50% and the sound and levels are stellar. Now I just need to go undo the few tweaks I made to compensate.

I want to state that one way or another this turned out to be operator error. My reference point on Output 1 is 50% and I never touch it. In spite of that I found it at 44% which is just enough to reduce the volume in the amounts I described. Put it back to 50% and the sound and levels are stellar. Now I just need to go undo the few tweaks I made to compensate.
I'm a skeptical person by nature but throughout the years I've realized Cliff is always right... and on the off chance that he isn't then it's usually that the explanation is wrong :smile:

Back
Top Bottom