UPDATED: Under-rated amp models - High and Low Gain

... It's interesting how you set up the Tucana! The default value sets the drive parameter at 5 and the overdrive at 10. I thought it sounded kind of flubby! I see you do the opposite by setting the overdrive at 5 and the drive at 10 and it sounds awesome! I will definitly give that Tucana another try this way! Thanks for the tip!

Good eye! (And ears). I agree with Leon that it’s the most accurately modeled amp in the Fractal that I’ve come across. The Input and drive levels work like the real thing.

Never played a Nitro but I played Splawn Quickrods and Pro Mods for 10 years. I’m still trying to get those models to sound right to my ears but am not giving up on them yet.

Yep, it is clear that Tucana is not under rated by many of us..(got lost in it last night before I read this thread...) and sounds even better in Q9. Seems the collaborative effort of Cliff and Alan of Carol-Ann has paid
Off big time for everyone..and I would wager that more than a few physical Tucanas have been purchased as a result of of the model...

Funny, my Tucana settings are more scooped, at least for modern riffage.

global setup amp gain : +6db

B/M/T/P/D 8/3/8/8/7
In/Od/Mast : 8.5/10/2.77
spkr low res 137.5 (my cab's thump is pretty high. V30s inside)

Sounds perfect, very close to the Savage and the Herbert.
But it only works if the guitar is perfectly balanced (pre-EQd).

So I visited/revisited these models myself today. Different results since I didn’t use Leon’s IR but some were close. The Cameron CCV is even better than I remember so I ended up making my own preset. I think I will be using this model a lot.

Funny, my Tucana settings are more scooped, at least for modern riffage.

global setup amp gain : +6db

B/M/T/P/D 8/3/8/8/7
In/Od/Mast : 8.5/10/2.77
spkr low res 137.5 (my cab's thump is pretty high. V30s inside)

Sounds perfect, very close to the Savage and the Herbert.
But it only works if the guitar is perfectly balanced (pre-EQd).

I'll give those a shot; I see you've lowered the master which I imagine tightens it up and puts it into modern high gain territory.

Here's a question on the IRs you're using... I've got the HHC2 as well, but don't have anything in the packs about the FRED mixes. How did you get hold of them?

Here's a question on the IRs you're using... I've got the HHC2 as well, but don't have anything in the packs about the FRED mixes. How did you get hold of them?
Did you get the pack from Ownhammer directly or from the Fractal store? I'm guessing the Fractal cab pack version is a trimmed down selection; perhaps @ownhammer can elaborate?

Here's the low gain variety

Calling the AC20 and the band commander underrated is a bit off a stretch isn't it :-D ever since I joined this forum everyone has been raving about the AC20.

Lately, the JM45 has been my go to clean amp

Princeton Reverb doesn’t seem to get a lot of love. Maybe because it’s such a standard tone? (hasn’t stopped folks from gushing about the Marshalls)

Anyway, I just love that Fender clean tone.

I’m currently using it with a combination of a Twin speaker and a greenback.

Edit: I use the Princeton with a Princeton 10" speaker and a Twin speaker. The greenback doesn't sound Fendery at all. I often write these posts when I'm away from my AX8 and have to go by memory.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom