Updated to FW 9.01...Getting Really Strange Noise.

I just want to make sure I know what I'm doing. I need to erase the preset, then turn off the Axe Fx. Restart it. (Will my preset still be empty?) Then rebuild the preset from scratch?

This worked for me - yes.
Not saying we have had the same problem though....Although the symptoms sound the same.

Have you tried deleting a block at a time to see if a particular block is the culprit?

I think I figured it out. It was a clock source problem. I noticed--quite by chance--that the problem went away when I opened up a new Logic template. I was going to record the sound and post it here, if possible.

That made me think there was some conflict with the Axe Fx and Logic, so I started fiddling with settings. I noticed the noise went away when I changed my project sample rate back to 44.1 Khz (from 48), but my guitar now sounded thin, and there was a lot of noise beneath the main signal. Because it seemed to have everything to do with the sample rate, I started looking for places where I could make those adjustments.

Anyway, long story short, after messing around with the front panel of my MOTU 828, I wondered if my clock source had somehow changed. The MOTU directed me back to my computer to make any changes. In my MOTU audio/midi settings, clock source had changed to "internal". I put it back on SPDIF. Seems like the problem is solved.

I hope.

Here's hoping the issue is resolved for you. Keep us posted either way.

If we knew the complete rig from the original post this may have been asked about or suggested. Glad you found the trouble.

I think I figured it out. It was a clock source problem. I noticed--quite by chance--that the problem went away when I opened up a new Logic template. I was going to record the sound and post it here, if possible.

That made me think there was some conflict with the Axe Fx and Logic, so I started fiddling with settings. I noticed the noise went away when I changed my project sample rate back to 44.1 Khz (from 48), but my guitar now sounded thin, and there was a lot of noise beneath the main signal. Because it seemed to have everything to do with the sample rate, I started looking for places where I could make those adjustments.

Anyway, long story short, after messing around with the front panel of my MOTU 828, I wondered if my clock source had somehow changed. The MOTU directed me back to my computer to make any changes. In my MOTU audio/midi settings, clock source had changed to "internal". I put it back on SPDIF. Seems like the problem is solved.

I hope.
That'll most certainly fix your problem as that bust of noise every 5 or so seconds is the the motu and axe falling out of sync. I have an ax8 but if I'm not mistaken; the axe rack doesn't have a clock input (it can only send a clock source).

I upgraded my FW last night. Tonight I started to hear a strange sound coming through my monitors. It's a predictable, short burst of what sounds to me like static (or at least static-like) that lasts for not even half a second. It repeats every 5 seconds or so. It's relatively faint, but it's terribly annoying. It's definitely not normal. (Aside: If any of you have ever used those air fresheners that randomly shoot out a burst of spray, it kind of sounds like that--only not quite as loud and startling.)

I started trouble shooting everything--my computer, and esp. my monitors. I've been able to pinpoint the sound to the Axe Fx II. The sound comes through even when I'm not playing. It's present on every preset, so it's not some strange effect I have turned on in one preset, but not in others.

I have no idea if it's something stupid and/or inadvertent that I did by accident while fiddling around with Axe Edit. Or is it something glitchy that occurred when I installed the new FW? Is it (gulp) a hardware problem with my Axe FX?

I could use some more help troubleshooting to pinpoint the cause and hopefully find a solution.

Thanks for any help.

I upgraded my FW last night. Tonight I started to hear a strange sound coming through my monitors. It's a predictable, short burst of what sounds to me like static (or at least static-like) that lasts for not even half a second. It repeats every 5 seconds or so. It's relatively faint, but it's terribly annoying. It's definitely not normal. (Aside: If any of you have ever used those air fresheners that randomly shoot out a burst of spray, it kind of sounds like that--only not quite as loud and startling.)

I started trouble shooting everything--my computer, and esp. my monitors. I've been able to pinpoint the sound to the Axe Fx II. The sound comes through even when I'm not playing. It's present on every preset, so it's not some strange effect I have turned on in one preset, but not in others.

I have no idea if it's something stupid and/or inadvertent that I did by accident while fiddling around with Axe Edit. Or is it something glitchy that occurred when I installed the new FW? Is it (gulp) a hardware problem with my Axe FX?

I could use some more help troubleshooting to pinpoint the cause and hopefully find a solution.

Thanks for any help.
Have you tried to resetting the system params in the utility menu?

Back
Top Bottom