• We would like to remind our members that this is a privately owned, run and supported forum. You are here at the invitation and discretion of the owners. As such, rules and standards of conduct will be applied that help keep this forum functioning as the owners desire. These include, but are not limited to, removing content and even access to the forum.

    Please give yourself a refresher on the forum rules you agreed to follow when you signed up.

Updated to 3.2.0 = The version information could not be queried

running on FW 18, mac 10.9.2 and axe edit asked me to update so i thought sure why not.

As soon as I did, problems-galore! Axe Edit 3.2 said it needed FW 19 or newer to run so I decided arg ok again another update sure fine let's do it.

so now everything is up to date, Axe FX 2 FW 19, axe edit 3.2, all i get now when I try to run axe edit is :

"Unknown Device: The version information could not be queried."

I looked this up in the forums, deleting the axe edit settings file didn't do the trick, nor did resetting the ports in axe edit's settings/general/ports page.

Anybody else running into the same problem??
 

oswinwong

New Member
Hey..

I have the exact same problem... its driving me nuts!!!

I updated Axe-Edit, Fractal Bot, and the Axe-FX 2.... I tried re-updating the Axe-FX 2 and still the same issue...

I have tried restarting my computer, using a different USB Cable, and re-installing the drivers and etc related to the unit and its still the same!!!! HELPPPPPPP
 

Brock

Experienced
I've had this problem relentlessly since I've owned this particular unit. The unit functions just fine outside of Axe Edit and Fractal Bot - meaning it works as an Audio I/O device on my computer; it just frequently is unable to communicate with Axe Edit and Fractal Bot. I trouble shot this issue extensively with the guys at Fractal. I've tried different USB cables, different USB ports, going into a USB hub. I've reinstalled the drivers, software, etc. Nothing helped. They said because I wasn't the original owner that I would be responsible for any repair costs. I've found that I can resolve it by powering the Axe on and off repeatedly until Axe Edit sees it. (If the Axe-Fx gets past the boot up and Axe Edit doesn't show the loaded patch, then I power off and try again.) Sometimes I have to go on doing this for minutes. But, to me, it's not a big enough problem to want to pay over a hundred dollars in shipping plus whatever repair costs.

Here's what Ryan at Fractal suggested to me:
"This doesn't look like a hardware issue with the Axe-Fx or a driver problem on the computer. Check to make sure the Axe-Fx is sending sysex messages. You can do this by checking the SEND REALTIME SYSEX parameter under I/O->MIDI on the front panel of the Axe-Fx. It should be set to ON."

and

"


None of this helped me, but maybe it will help whoever else is having the same issue.
 
For those who have the same problem,
I've decided to go back in time and roll back the axe edit software to the previous one as well roll back to FW 18.

After this, everything was back to normal and fully functioning, just had to load in my presets *they're gone when you roll back*

This is definitely one of those 'don't fix it if it ain't broke' moments
 

gdgross

Experienced
For those who have the same problem,
I've decided to go back in time and roll back the axe edit software to the previous one as well roll back to FW 18.

After this, everything was back to normal and fully functioning, just had to load in my presets *they're gone when you roll back*

This is definitely one of those 'don't fix it if it ain't broke' moments

Where'd you get the older axe-edit? I have the same error, but I don't want to update the FW yet as i'm in the middle of a project, and I'd like to keep my tone consistent. (i'll upgrade when I'm done :)

Thanks!
Geoff
 

reclavea

Power User
I'm on OSX Yosemite vesion 10.10.2

No issues.

Be careful.....certain other software don't work after Yosemite....ie...Midisport 2x2..etc ....new drivers needed.
 

boblazz

Member
this message happens to me once in a while and i shut down the axe-edit and restart it . sometimes it takes a few trys to communicate but usually works.
 

boblazz

Member
just had this happen. axe-edit has been working fine and this morning i got the same message "Unknown Device: The version information could not be queried." . i finally rebooted my computer after several trys of restarting axe-edit and that did the trick here.
 

trancegodz

Power User
just had this happen. axe-edit has been working fine and this morning i got the same message "Unknown Device: The version information could not be queried." . i finally rebooted my computer after several trys of restarting axe-edit and that did the trick here.

Axe Edit worked fine for a while after I updated to 19, but has been doing just what you described every night for the last week, every time I use it.

The problem started for me right after I bought some new Cab Packs and replaced some of my old user cabs with some of the new ones I'd bought.
I've refreshed everything. Several times now. It still does it. It will either time out, say "unknown device", or "version information could not be queried".
 
Top Bottom