Updated to 19 and it squeels nasty

boardwlk17

Power User
Updated to 19 from 18. And every patch is squeeling with this nasty feedback and the reverb sounds crappy.
where do I start?

How do I go back to 18.xx?
And can I go back on axe-edit?

To roll-back, use Fractal-Bot to send firmware 18 to your Axe-Fx.

Or just find out what's happening:
- Check your Global and I/O settings, or Reset (Utility > Reset).
- Do you use engaged Drive blocks in your presets? Disable them and see if the noise goes away. Then adjust the Drive block settings.
- Do you use compression in the Amp block)? Verify the settings.

Or upload a preset.

If there's squealing all around, check your OD pedals, many of them had their gain/volume knob react in a different way than before, and you could need rebalancing them.
For example, the BB PRE is much higher in volume than before.

First thing id check is the main output of drive blocks. Some of them that were at around 7 need to go down to like 2.5

Edit: yes , I just said what the person above me said ,doh

That sounds like a HB cover induced squeal to me. To test it, put your finger on the cover of whichever pickup is being used and press down. The nickel plating on HB covers -- well, nickel is highly ferromagnetic -- and that plating can interact with the magnetic field. If the cover has an air gap between the top of the pickup and the bottom side of the cover, guess what? It can vibrate...and squeal.

If that's the case, there's a fix that's fairly easy. If you can pull the pickup out of the route, flip it over. Place a few old towels between the guitar and the pickup.
Take some plain white candle wax, and make some shavings. Heat with a hair drier or heat gun, and smoosh it around the gaps between the bottom of the cover, and mounting plate of the pickup. Heat, and let the liquid wick itself inside. It'll seep down into the cover and fill the air gaps, if there isn't already wax in there.

Back
Top Bottom