Updated: Now I am getting the Magic of FullRez IRs... Holy Cow, they are thrilling!

Mark Al

Inspired
Update: Now I am getting the magic of fullRez IR, when properly dialed in, they make the headphone playing experience next level... OMG, they are good....!

Am I the only one who failed to see the magic of FullRes IR? I can simulate it really well with Cab Block already.

The first screenshot below shows how I used the FullRes IRs shared by @York Audio (thank you very much by the way :)), e.g. YA 2x10 Vibrato Lux Room L.syx and YA 2x10 Vibrato Lux Room R.syx, to mix with my own two IRs, with the FullRes panned hard left and right, with level = -10 DB.

The second screenshot is my attempts to simulate that result of FullRez IRs without using them, by tuning the Room/Air settings.

The result is not 100% identical, but there is definitely no qualitative difference between the two approaches (using two FullRes IRs does cause a lot more CPU usage, though).

So far, I am not seeing the magic of FullRez IRs yet....

1633154980440.png
1633155837447.png

Attachments

• 1633154616080.png
    1633154616080.png
    382.1 KB · Views: 37
Last edited:
sound samples would be more useful!
Too lazy to record/upload them :sweatsmile:

Dial a preset with your favorite FullRez IR, then try to dial it without using FullRez IR but simulate it via Cab block's room setting to see how close you can get.

What I find is that the FullRez IR helped me to learn how to dial in the Room settings....

Well actually, hearing them back and forth more times, there are certain depth quality from the fullRez IR that I couldn't quite simulate... hum, but I am not sure if that's from the extra mix of IRs...

The Room setting seems more in the face, while the FullRez IR sounds more spacious.... I wonder if we could model that via more Room settings ;)

Last edited:
You need to set the distance on 3 and 4 to something other than 0mm: Room Mics at 0mm are on the speaker. Those go from 0mm to 3400mm.

In the align menu in the cab block I've set the room mic distance back a bit. 800-1500mm to enhance Fender open back sparkle. I want more -1500-2400mm for distortion tones (or it seemed congested with what I was playing at the time). Yes, its possible to get great results with reverb, and or the room settings, but it's not the same, as far as my abilities go.

I have a lot of Celestion's IRs, and they provide L & R room mics in their cab bundles. (some other vendors have this too). This means I have room mics that match every cab. So far, I've tried Full Res out with Creambacks, Type A, and Greenbacks. I'm getting a sense of spacial detail that is more clearly related to the cab from the room mics than I'm aware of getting before, and to my ears a more convincing dimensionality without sounding smeared or any sense of generic reverb.

Thanks to York Audio and ValhallIR for their generosity with the freebies, which are great starters, but will inherently match up better with some cabs than others. In time I expect folks will come up with some awe inspiring IR sets that take rattling the virtual floorboards to another level.

Last edited:
I had a bunch of those Celestion IRs, had them for years, but they are at most 500ms long, that's not FullRez IRs, no?

... I'm getting a sense of spacial detail that is clearly related to the cab from the room mics, and to my ears a more convincing dimensionality without sounding smeared or as a generic reverb.
This is what has struck me about the fullres sound clips, even listening on an iPad. They sound clearer and more realistic than algorithmically generated reverberation. Whether I would use fullres live when the rest of the band is using algorithms is a different question.

I note that the CAB Room parameter alone is missing some of the stereo field effect that is achieved with the FullRes IRs. But that can be easily added with a little bit of Reverb and Enhance. I am using this:

Rev: Recording Studio A, 1.3s, Stereo Spread 200%, 20,000 Hz HiCut EQ
Enh: Modern, 37%width, 15%depth, 20,000 Hz HiCut

There’s lots of data off to the right that’s not shown in that timeframe, choose the zoom knob under the screen on the front panel and AxeEdit also zooms out. I think they should also put the zoom control in AxeEdit as well.
There's already a zoom control, just update Axe Edit

I dont know if are similar thr only thing i ve asked is the room parameters had not been created to obtain room effect? Nobody answer..

Yeah it’s all about that subtle quality that you’re unable to emulate. I see it as the resurgence of quality rooms being useful ;-)
Thanks
Pauly

Too lazy to record/upload them :sweatsmile:

Dial a preset with your favorite FullRez IR, then try to dial it without using FullRez IR but simulate it via Cab block's room setting to see how close you can get.

What I find is that the FullRez IR helped me to learn how to dial in the Room settings....

Well actually, hearing them back and forth more times, there are certain depth quality from the fullRez IR that I couldn't quite simulate... hum, but I am not sure if that's from the extra mix of IRs...

The Room setting seems more in the face, while the FullRez IR sounds more spacious.... I wonder if we could model that via more Room settings ;)

There's already a zoom control, just update Axe Edit

Ah yes, that toggle on the LHS of the screen

1633158484918-png.89482

Last edited:
Quick test
1. closemike IR
2. closemike IR + FoolRes IR
3. closemike IR + CAB Room Parameter+ RecStudioA Rverb + Enhance

Number 2 has that top end “air” you hear in the room with a real amp. Number 3 gives you nice ambience, but it’s missing that top end energy that makes it sound and feel “lively.”

I view FullRes like I view most firmware updates. The tone doesn’t drastically change with new improvements (because it’s been so close to the real thing for years), but the incremental improvements end up making a big difference in the overall playing experience. I’ve never liked playing the Axe through headphones, but FullRes has definitely changed that and now it’s really fun to throw on a pair of cans and shred without destroying my ears cranking up the real thing in my room.

Number 2 has that top end “air” you hear in the room with a real amp. Number 3 gives you nice ambience, but it’s missing that top end energy that makes it sound and feel “lively.”

I view FullRes like I view most firmware updates. The tone doesn’t drastically change with new improvements (because it’s been so close to the real thing for years), but the incremental improvements end up making a big difference in the overall playing experience. I’ve never liked playing the Axe through headphones, but FullRes has definitely changed that and now it’s really fun to throw on a pair of cans and shred without destroying my ears cranking up the real thing in my room.
Yes, your FullRes IR has a nice open spark at the reflections. I've tried to emulate that by increasing the highs at the reverb EQ, but it is not exactly the same.

It is subtle but to me, very noticeable on my own preset tests. I forced myself to be as critical as possible. But it's very there. Like Piing's demonstrates. I run at about -19ish as Dr.B suggested. I strive to be a "Cab Sommelier" :speaker:🍷 :cool:

mute the strings, hit them short and hard creating transient heavy wave forms and listen the tail...the difference beside the end is not day and night (why should it be?!) but 1 has a much more natural tail, how the volume rolls off...the other one sounds, fake(the end of sound) but in a mix, you would not be able to tell.

Back
Top Bottom