Updated FW -- not sure about updating presets

Fredlos120

Inspired
FW 18.3 updated successfully. Have updated several versions but I need help downloading the new presets. Should I even do it? I see in Axe-Edit how to Audition one at a time. Is there a tutorial? IS there a best practice? Thanks in advance. You all seem great at sharing. (Yeah, this is my first post.)

From what I hear, the new presets balance levels and use more recent Factory cabs in a few spots. If you heavily use Factory presets and have not adjusted them much nor made many of your own presets, I'd say update them. If you only use your own presets, I wouldn't worry about it.

They will overwrite your current presets in many situations. Read my article for more about this:

http://axefxtutorials.com/2015/03/factory-presets-for-fw-18-03-or-newer-axe-fx-ii/

I also have a tutorial there showing how to use Axe-Manage in Axe-Edit to quickly audition presets before even loading them onto the Axe.

Be sure to check out my recent articles for some common issues/questions about the latest firmware updates as well.

http://axefxtutorials.com/latest-info/

Update Bank A and B imo. I use Bank C to play around with presets I copy and paste and mess with, so I didn't update that one.

The presets in Bank A will blow you away!!!

FYI the Fractal bot application enables you to bulk-install the new presets...
You prob already know this, Im just flagging it 'cos I only found out after I'd manually installed about 40 or so!

FYI the Fractal bot application enables you to bulk-install the new presets...
You prob already know this, Im just flagging it 'cos I only found out after I'd manually installed about 40 or so!

this is true, yet be careful because it instantly overwrites and deletes old presets in the "bank" you install it in.

If you have saved your user made presets in a folder, and backed them up too then there is no issue in reinstalling. I like to just to see what I might have overlooked and so I reinstall them on a major upgrade...

I updated presets after the 18.03 update.

I have had the II Mark I for a long time. Now I also have the XL+. It really is cool to have the extra high XL banks. I can load the factory presets in A,B,C and not overwrite my presets any more... woot.

Thank you, Chris. I actually found your tutorial on using Axe-Manage shortly after posting. That is what I needed! I will read your other article as well. Appreciate!

I just updated everything but the presets earlier today, but didn't know the best method for updating the presets. I've only 6 weeks with my XL, so this is all new to me. What is the best method of updating. Do I use Bot or Edit, and do I just select the Banks' syx file and go?

I just updated everything but the presets earlier today, but didn't know the best method for updating the presets. I've only 6 weeks with my XL, so this is all new to me. What is the best method of updating. Do I use Bot or Edit, and do I just select the Banks' syx file and go?

do you want to replace all your existing presets? have you seen the articles i linked to in comments above?

FW 18.3 updated successfully. Have updated several versions but I need help downloading the new presets. Should I even do it? I see in Axe-Edit how to Audition one at a time. Is there a tutorial? IS there a best practice? Thanks in advance. You all seem great at sharing. (Yeah, this is my first post.)

It depends if you plan on using the Factory Presets. If you do, then update them.

Personally, I don't use any of them.....I create my own.

I did it only because I use some presets as building blocks, especially the more ambient type ones.
If I'm looking for a sound I'll often scroll through the presets and use that as a starting point.

Now that I have a collection built up I rely less and less on the presets, but I still wanted the latest so if someone wants to try out the Axe they can do so with the latest updates.

Back
Top Bottom