** UPDATED and CORRECTED ** Multi Block Compressor Settings .... tighten you low end !!!!

ben ifin

Experienced
Hi all

Please ignore my post and pics in my original post here - it has some "very not right" settings in it that I have now fixed below

See the following 2 picks for the fixed / correct settings:-

In short

-> put a MBC Block immediatly after your Cab Block
-> use the above sttings as per the pics
-> pick your preferred " Freq 1 " of choice - anything between 88 hz <-> 115 hz will do the trick - for me 95 hz was the sweetspot

The settings in my original post incorrectly kept activated the freq's above Freq 1 - this quite adversly affected overall tone and volume of freq's above freq 1 ...... these settings now only impact Freq's below 95 hz [ or whatever Freq 1 you pick ].

These settings are specifically for crunch / dirty rthyms / leads ..... so for classic rock / rock / harder-rock these correct settings work a real treat and really " roll up your low mid / low end " into a nice tight punchy ball :)

Hope this helps.

Thanks,
Ben

Last edited:
I've been experimenting with the MBC a lot lately... with this setting, you're effectively cutting ~30dB in the first band. Why not just use a low cut EQ at 95Hz?

I realize the "magic" in this setting is in the release time, but have you tried bumping up the threshold and ratio?

Very interesting! Is there any good reading on multi-band compressors anyone recommends? I'm a metal player who constantly wrestles with rolling off the bass teh br00t4l chugz and then dealing with thin tone when playing lead etc

Very interesting! Is there any good reading on multi-band compressors anyone recommends? I'm a metal player who constantly wrestles with rolling off the bass teh br00t4l chugz and then dealing with thin tone when playing lead etc

If you Google Andy Sneap Compressor, it will lead you to all sorts of online articles for home mixers in regards to modern metal music; not necessarily about Andy, but that search leads to metal forums etc. where they discuss mixing metal.

These are good for killing excess lowend build up when you palm mute and such. You want it to just "kiss" are only kick in when you palm mute.

The Sneap settings sound a little weird to me on the axefx's MBC...

as a starting point, I like to use about -30dB threshold, 3-6 ratio, super fast attack and 20-50ms release on the low band with a -3dB level compared to the other bands. that will crush that low end but bring it back quickly. If that's killing too much low end, raise the threshold, possibly raise the ratio too, or just lower the ratio.

I keep the other bands flat usually.

Another question... do these MBCs actually just compress the signal within the target band, or compress the entire signal (like a typical compressor), but based only on build-up within the target band... almost like a sidechain?

Think of this one as three compressors in one block, each compressing within the assigned frequency ranges: 1st one handles lows, then mids, then highs, independently .

When playing heavier music, use the MBC. Just use the first section and set it around 250Hz. Fast attack and release with the threshold set depending on the mix and getting out of the bass guitar's way. Also, don't forget to turn down the makeup gain and threshold to 0 on the bands that aren't being used.

Back
Top Bottom