Updated AC-30TB Tone for v10.02 (w/ U2 clips)

Thx, I'll check that. Both have .11 gauge. I'm always half step down because most U2 stuff is nowadays. I'll change strings and see what happens. May have a different brand on the good guitar. So strange!!!

I've had issues with DR Strings, used them for a bit, but was having intonation problems and muffled strings. Have a great tech who told me they have issues with the core slipping that makes them unusable. I googled the problem, tons of people have the same issue. Always bent the string at the tuner per DR's instruction, still big problems.

I've had issues with DR Strings, used them for a bit, but was having intonation problems and muffled strings. Have a great tech who told me they have issues with the core slipping that makes them unusable. I googled the problem, tons of people have the same issue. Always bent the string at the tuner per DR's instruction, still big problems.

Much as I like the DR strings, I had so many intonation problems with them that I had to move away from them as well. So many reports of exactly the same troubles.

I ended up with a set of DR's somehow and I took them with me to my tech for a setup. He refused to put them on. Said the same thing. They essentially will not intonate.

Hey Axeman, great tone! Just curious do you have a "Fly" preset or something heavier for songs like "Get on Your Boots" or "Thrill Me, Kiss Me, Kill Me" (I think that is the name) :)

I jam along to U2 songs all the time and always check out your vids. Thanks! - RR

Hey Axeman, great tone! Just curious do you have a "Fly" preset or something heavier for songs like "Get on Your Boots" or "Thrill Me, Kiss Me, Kill Me" (I think that is the name) :)

I jam along to U2 songs all the time and always check out your vids. Thanks! - RR

Same basic preset. Just choose a drive you like for the song and change the delay time. I used the BB Pre drive for The FLy. I haven't done the others you listed.

Michael, I saw your video on Youtube and decided to create the preset... I've spent a good hour and my sound was very crappy. I was blaming my strat until I've found your preset here... I loaded your preset and BOOM... my strat was quacking and the sound was huge! Thank you. Hope that Fractal sent you a couple of goodies. Your their best sales representative! ;)

Sorry, I've been busy at work. I'm going to be posting my presets on the U2GT forum going forward. Easier for me to manage when all in one place.

BTW, I recently posted this blog post:

An Opinion: The Digital Age and Presets - Blogs - U2 Guitar Tutorial Forums

Sometimes the written word comes across the wrong way. I'm not angry and I will continue to share my presets. But my humble opinion on this topic applies to all high powered digital processors. I don't expect everyone to agree with me. It's just that I get so many requests for presets and, as I wrote in my blog, I just don't understand how anyone can buy an expensive and powerful Axe-Fx and not spend the time to learn how to use its power. I'm one of the least talented guitarists on all these forums, so if I can build a decent preset, then anyone can. It just takes time, patience and passion.

Hi Michael - great post. Your point comes across, and I for one find that it inspires me to take further looks under the hood of this magic box we all love. That said, I find it very helpful to have some kind of starting point - as a soon-to-be-40-year-old beginner both as a guitar player and a Fractalist. In that respect, both shared presets and video tutorials are of great help. Especially the parts where you go through your patches while showing the front panel have been very educational for me - making me fiddle with parameters I would never have touched otherwise.

Then again - the best way to learn is the hard way, no doubt about it! I guess it´s just hard to resist the temptation to cut some corners, now and again :) Especially when there are so many knowledgable and brilliant people connected to the Fractal community, and there is a spirit of sharing here. I have learned a lot by "popping the hood" on some presets downloaded from the AxeChange, trying to find out what creates the magic sounds - and how to adjust the parameters to my liking and to my equipment. This is a learning process, and one day I will hopefully be able to create presets that can benefit someone else - so I can contribute to this great community which has given me so much!

And again I would like to express my sincere thanks; Because of your efforts and Fractal Audio´s brilliant engineering I am now playing those wonderful U2 songs I wouldn´t have dreamt of being able to play only a year ago - and they sound great too - at least in my ears (not sure they would cut it at American Idol, though :lol). I can´t overemphasize how much this has inspired me and opened my eyes to this wonderful world of playing the guitar and getting amazing sounds out of the Axe FX.

PS - SO looking forward to the The Fly-tutorial ;)

Read your blog post, Michael. Very true. Honestly, as a new user of the Axe FX II, sometimes it's valuable to hear a tone and try to analyze how someone achieved it. What parameters they tweaked, etc. But your point is well taken- presets may get you one place, but if you need to adapt, you're hung out to dry if you don't understand why that preset is constructed the way it is. However, as I mentioned, it's REALLY valuable for some new users to be able to look at presets and try to understand why you did what you did, so we can do it going forward. I hope you don't think people take your work/tone searching for granted and just play. Your point that the user really needs to understand what's going on is very valid. Looking forward to your patches, but understandable if you don't want to share them.

Ben

I also feel the same way - its very useful having user presets as for a new user its very daunting trying to get a tone close to the artist you are trying to emulate. I alaways use a user preset and then adapt it myself but having a starting base is absolutely invaluable. I hope that Michael does post some of his version 11 presets here (even if its just his go to AC30 tone)

Hi Axeman, Great stuff. I have a gibson SG so not sure how they will come out but can't wait to try. HOwever when I click the links I get a message saying invalid attachmrnt. Looks likr I am the only one with the issue? Am I doing something wrong? Many thanks in advance.

I finally got around to consolidating some of my presets by firmware version. They can be found here:

Michaels Axe-Fx Presets (Ultra & II)

Some of the older presets from the Ultra or older Axe II firmware versions have not been updated. As a result, there are generally fewer presets for the newer firmware versions. I don't have any major updates for v11 or v12. The v10 presets can be adjusted for the new firmware updates. As always, my presets are set up for a particular guitar/pickup used with the respective preset, so you may not get the same tone.

Let me know if there are any global amp problems. I use global amps and I'm not sure how the amp model was saved when these presets were created.

Wow! Amazing stuff, Michael! Really looking forward to going through these and comparing to my own - who almost all are developed from yours or Reddawgs' presets. :encouragement:

Back
Top Bottom