Updated AC-30TB Tone for v10.02 (w/ U2 clips)

BTW, I posted an update in my post with the preset above:

UPDATE: I just unlinked the amp model, so hopefully this now works. Also, I have two cab models in the cab block. X is the one I used for the vid with the 4x10 tweed bass. But switch to Y and you will have 2x12 blue and brit together and you get very nice silky mids and a little more bass. I love this Y cab for Streets. So everyone has two great options in the cab model. Try them both!

I just unlinked it and uploaded a new one in the original message (I updated the link above). Try that one and let me know if it worked.

Excellent! now I can see it - love the XY factor! Thank you very much Michael.

-Greg

Last edited:
I downloaded both.

the bassman sounded great

The AC one the delays sound a little unruly compared to the original one you posted (maybe something got messed up on my end)

You might want to check both out

attached are the two I downloaded

Attachments

• U2 Pride (AC-30TB v10.02).syx
    6.3 KB · Views: 108
  • U2 Pride (v10.02 AC-30TB).syx
    6.3 KB · Views: 97
Thanks Michael - always ove your tones (and your playing!)

Any chance you can upload the pre-set for the ISHFWILF with the shimmer - that sounds great!!!

I downloaded both.

the bassman sounded great

The AC one the delays sound a little unruly compared to the original one you posted (maybe something got messed up on my end)

You might want to check both out

attached are the two I downloaded

I definitely made sure the amp was unlinked. I just tested it and uploaded it one more time in the original post. It worked just fine like in the video. So not sure what you are referring to about the "unruly delay." Try the latest one in the original post. If ok, pls delete the two you posted so people don't get confused. Thx for testing them!

Thanks to share your experience and Pride patch Michael ! Even if I do agree with your vision for pedagogic purpose ("spend one hour here and there to search your own U2 tone..."), we play a lot of covers in my band and having some tones ready for it is really a huge time saver ;-). Thanks again !
Pierre

Thx, I'll check that. Both have .11 gauge. I'm always half step down because most U2 stuff is nowadays. I'll change strings and see what happens. May have a different brand on the good guitar. So strange!!!

Check the distance from the pup pole pieces to the bass strings. Lower the pups gradually on the bass side until the strings ring clear.

Magnetic string pull would affect the unplugged tone too.

Great work on the preset!

From the A/B with it might get loud, it sounded like the edge's tone had just a slight hair more low mids. But as you say you are going for your own flavor of it and it is remarkable close.

Last edited:
Axe-Fx II firmware just keeps getting better. The Pride comparison came out better than Bad for some reason. Interesting how one comparison can sound closer than another even though it's the the same setup in both clips.

I'm still working on getting a little more of that "real, lifelike" crispness and attack that Edge gets in his bass notes (A and D string). There is something about the way the strings react in this particular clip of Bad. If anyone has any suggestions, let me know.

I learned something important this time around. I was able to get closer to the target tone by not focusing on the names of the cab models. The cabs are just EQ adjustments for me going forward. Even though the Blue and Silver speakers are in most AC-30s (especially the amps Edge uses), I decided not to focus on the type and just scrolled through all of the cabs until I got the tone I wanted. I ended up settling on the 4x10 tweed bass. It was amazing how much closer it got me to the Pride tone in this video. Funny, because this cab doesn't have much bass at all.

NOTE: THERE IS NO TONE MATCHING USED HERE.

Hi Michael,

Great work ! How do you think your AC-30TB update will sound with IWF and Out Of Control . I have the settings from your tutorials and still running FW9 . I want to change to FW10 . Maybe make some adjustments with what I have already ?
Thanks for your help .

Paul

Just got home to try the Pride-preset out and it's really awesome! Did my own comparison to Edge's tone from "It might get loud" and it's just amazing how close it is. Had to play Pride a couple times, and it brought a big smile to my face - the AxeFx is a wonderful tool in itself, and the added bonus of this community and the sharing of the combined talent of people like Michael makes it an incredible experience for newbies like myself!

Michael, will you share the rest of your U2-presets with us on U2 Guitar Tutorials - Introduction as you update them with FW 10.02?

I definitely made sure the amp was unlinked. I just tested it and uploaded it one more time in the original post. It worked just fine like in the video. So not sure what you are referring to about the "unruly delay." Try the latest one in the original post. If ok, pls delete the two you posted so people don't get confused. Thx for testing them!

I'll re-upload tonight.

Probably got a little screwed up via download/upload

Just got home to try the Pride-preset out and it's really awesome! Did my own comparison to Edge's tone from "It might get loud" and it's just amazing how close it is. Had to play Pride a couple times, and it brought a big smile to my face - the AxeFx is a wonderful tool in itself, and the added bonus of this community and the sharing of the combined talent of people like Michael makes it an incredible experience for newbies like myself!

Michael, will you share the rest of your U2-presets with us on U2 Guitar Tutorials - Introduction as you update them with FW 10.02?

I agree, It was Michael's site that finally made me buy the Axe in the end . You can learn a lot from the preset videos as Michael explains a lot of what hes doing . It takes a while to go through them but this has helped me have some understanding and be able to makes changes to other presets . If he does update everything using FW 10.2 It will probably take a while . He may not have the videos explaining all the settings in future probably just the preset to download . I hope I am wrong though .

Last edited:
I agree, It was Michael's site that finally made me buy the Axe in the end . You can learn a lot from from the preset videos as Michael explains a lot of what hes doing . It takes a while to go through them but this has helped me have some understanding and be able to makes changes to other presets . If he does update everything using FW 10.2 It will probably take a while . He may not have the videos showing all the settings in future probably just the preset to download . I hope I am wrong though .

Yeah, I went through those videos almost frame by frame while tweaking my own AxeFX in accordance with Michael's instructions. It's just that these are based on older firmware, so it would be great to see/hear what Michael has done with these to accomodate for newer firmware. I'm sure he will share with us when time permits, after all this is a non-profit site he's running :)

Not only has Michael's videos really inspired me deeper in the world of playing the guitar, but it has also brought me closer to U2's music. For instance, I always skipped past Until The End Of The World - I thought it was a bit tedious. But now, after learning how to play, it's one of my favourite U2-tunes!

One question from a newbie: Is it possible to copy just the the AC-30TB amp block from Michael's Pride-preset into my older U2 presets, without changing the other effect blocks in those presets?

Thank you so much for sharing this preset! I've never played anything that is as close to Edge's tone as this. Sounds great with my Carvin Bolt (strat copy).

Back
Top Bottom