[Update, no fix yet] Axe-Fx 3 Insane Hum From PC?

Not sure if I mentioned it previously on this thread, but I did notice that I have no ground in any of my outlets - hah nice and safe. Would that be adding to the noise? I can't imagine that's the biggest source of sound issues, but it definitely can't be helping anything.
That's definitely your problem. All you equipment is floating and radiating EMI like crazy.

View attachment 60783
View attachment 60784

When I am on a high gain preset (for ex: High Gain Recto's no noise gate), the noise starts to take place after string vibration decays. As I go away from the tower; the noise decreases "exponentially" I think. I assume using longer cables, putting the tower down and far away could solve the problem. I have seen one of my friends made a faraday shield with the tower's cardboard, he says it works for him.

Regarding your post about your grounding issue I would like to add my experience 4 years before. AfterI purchased my mini recto, I heard an incredible hum from amp. I took the amp and cabinet and went home, I knew my houses ground was properly done before. There were no hum and no noise. Called the engineers to original place and they measured that earthing was near 0.

Can you make a video or capture the sound of that noise ? maybe you already solved the emf problem but suffering from ground ?

I took some sound samples for clarification. Taken with audacity through macbook air. Air norton Pickups at full volume. Axe preset is "LT MK8 - MKIV Chunk"

Check this playlist, the first noise was my problem, changing guitar's pickup position helps, getting away from pc helps, what truly amazes me is of all those emf around; axe is still silent as an owl flapping at night. ( I hear nothing even in highest gain and output settings when volume of guitar is at 0)

I'm not hearing anything in the clip you linked? There is an example of my noise recorded from my iphone found here: https://www.dropbox.com/s/x5gepq9zo6kqyrk/Axe fx 3 PC noise problems.m4a?dl=0

That's definitely your problem. All you equipment is floating and radiating EMI like crazy.
Yikes really? So my biggest issue is needing a grounded outlet? Just spent the better half of an hour finding out that only 4 outlets in my rental are grounded and they're in the kitchen/other side of the house. Double yikes.

Yikes really? So my biggest issue is needing a grounded outlet? Just spent the better half of an hour finding out that only 4 outlets in my rental are grounded and they're in the kitchen/other side of the house. Double yikes.
The biggest issue is that the wiring in your house is not right and could kill you. Are you in the US? Can you get an electrician around to test your circuits, confirm they are not grounded and write you some sort of official letter about how this is against legal codes or something and show that to the landlord? Might scare them into fixing it. Or take the letter as evidence to a rental tribunal or something to force the issue? Not sure how it works over there.

If the electrical boxes themselves are grounded, then it may simply be a matter of replacing the receptacles (much less expensive) rather than rewiring (more expensive). An electrician can test and figure it out.

Well, I did a few different attempts at covering the window (and other sides) of the case with foil and none of it made a difference. I'm thinking it's either impossible to actually cover a case because of fan ventilation and maybe it's another issue? Or some amalgam of a few issues. The only thing that's noticeably helped is trying to move my PC case further away, which is proving to be a harder endeavor than I thought - and not an ideal one in this case either. I'm kind of feeling a bit defeated at the moment. =\ Attaching a pic at one of my "attempts" at covering the main window with foil. Proceeded to tuck it into more nooks and crannies but nothing even made a SLIGHT difference with the foil.View attachment 60493

This is a good start. But you also need a Tin Foil hat with a propeller on it too, and then a small wire that jumpers the hat to the foil on the computer.

Ducks behind Boss GT-6 for cover and waits........

Ground plugs are almost never used in Europe....at least for home use. Is our power grid different from yours?
Almost never used? Which Europe are you talking about?
Grounding has been mandatory for maybe 20 years (at least here in Italy, but I think it comes from EU regulations) and it was used even before it became mandatory (the apartment where I lived till a few years ago has ground connection and it's more than 40 years old).
Probably some really old buildings still don't have it but around here they are definitely a minority at this point in time.

Every European power cord we ship has a ground pin.
I know...but lot's of places dont have the option, or maybe just one in some room, and electronics often comes with cords with an optional ground pin.
I'm not arguing that ground pins are obsolete...just a question :)

edit: I should say that it there are gound in most outlets in newer buildings.

Ground plugs are almost never used in Europe....at least for home use. Is our power grid different from yours?

What?
Gear with 2 pin plugs exists, that's things in a plastic housing without any metal parts on the outside, so the housing can't lead any electrical power.
Outlets should always have their 3 pins.

I wish I had enough space to put the PC far away, I had it in a closet in next room while making our last album, it was perfect. Zero noise, audible or electrical. It's surprising how much crap they emit in both audio and EMI, after you experience the quietness once, it really sucks to go back. Laptops are even worse with their horrible power bricks.

Oh good point, sometimes overloading or putting a lot of electrical fields next to each other does that

If my axe is on and I go to the other side of the room and touch the lightning cable or my charger with my finger my whole rig HMMMMMMMMMMS

MAYBE it is a the field ?

Is a schematic for an Ebtech Hum x or similar device available anywhere? $80 seems insanely expensive if it's only a couple of diodes. I could make my own much cheaper.

I've been using a cheater plug to remove the ground pin on the power brick to a laptop, because nothing else will remove a high-frequency hash coming from any audio interface attached to it. I assumed that the supply output was floating and of no concern.

Back
Top Bottom