[Update, no fix yet] Axe-Fx 3 Insane Hum From PC?

Ok yeah after listening to it, that's definitely the high pitched whine of PC components. I'd look into getting a shielded PC enclosure if you can. Or move the PC farther away from where you play the guitar (computer screens tend to sound like ground loops, much lower pitched)

if its any help I picked up a power conditioner that took all the hum out of my system.. also, see where your plugged in simply unplug one plug at a time to identify which unit is giving you the trouble. it helped me out a ton..

if its any help I picked up a power conditioner that took all the hum out of my system.. also, see where your plugged in simply unplug one plug at a time to identify which unit is giving you the trouble. it helped me out a ton..
I have a power conditioner, but am currently afraid of running my PC through it - assuming that's even how it works. I bought a power conditioner for my interface, axe fx, and studio monitors. Would it be worth running my PC through it as well? I have a Furman M-8Dx and my PC has a 1000 watt PSU.

Ok yeah after listening to it, that's definitely the high pitched whine of PC components. I'd look into getting a shielded PC enclosure if you can. Or move the PC farther away from where you play the guitar (computer screens tend to sound like ground loops, much lower pitched)
Yeah, I'm not even sure where to begin with that, solely because of ventilation issues to keep my PC from overheating and/or having to rebuild my whole PC into a new case only in hopes of that being the issue. I kind of thought the temporary foil trick would help out some, but that made no difference so it has me semi skeptical still.

Yeah, I'm not even sure where to begin with that, solely because of ventilation issues to keep my PC from overheating and/or having to rebuild my whole PC into a new case only in hopes of that being the issue. I kind of thought the temporary foil trick would help out some, but that made no difference so it has me semi skeptical still.

Have you tried turning off the PC and listening with headphones plugged into the Axe-Fx?

It's also worth mentioning I put my PC in a walk-in closet about 20 feet away. I used 25 ft. extension cables (USB, Firewire, DVI, power) for the monitor, interface, and peripherals. Works great.

Last edited:
Have you tried turning off the PC and listening with headphones plugged into the Axe-Fx?

It's also worth mentioning I put my PC in a walk-in closet about 20 feet away. I used 25 ft. extension cables (USB, Firewire, DVI, power) for the monitor, interface, and peripherals. Works great.
I have not, but I'm sure that would be a fix - but to be safe I will when I get the chance. I livestream games/music for a living and that's just not a luxury I have at the moment to run cables like that. But seeing as the further I get from the PC, it does diminish (though not entirely), I'd imagine that would solve it.

Other things to try narrow down cause:

Turn off one by one:
LCD monitor
PC
Any other electronic

Unplug cables - USB, display, audio
I kind of tried doing this to narrow it down at first, but I can make a checklist and for sure dig into it tomorrow. 99% sure it's something to do with the PC and/or it's components. Just strange that I never noticed it for the 2 years I had my Axe FX II XL+

I need to build a new PC and it's getting hard to find non-windowed cases. This stupid RGB craze and windowed cases is frustrating.

The SilverStone silent cases are really well made. I've been re-using an FT02 for my last several builds, but the newer one (KL07) looks even nicer.

I don't think any kind
Does anyone know anything about these types of devices or if they would even work/how they even work? I tried doing some research but feel like I'm still missing something here. Amazon product ASIN B01N3XKOLG
If it's a straight EMI issue (and it sounds like it is) no gadget is going to solve it. Have you tried disabling all C-states in the bios? I'd also disable bluetooth on the pc.

UPDATE 11/26/19:

According to the nice power strip I've got as well, my outlet isn't grounded.

This might or might not be responsible for the noise, but still points to a possible concern. I've had to fix a few wiring problems in my own house where outlets were wired wrong, stupid decisions made by electrician regarding wire runs, etc. Suggest you get one of these and keep it handy - and check the outlet your power strip is plugged into. If it's not wired correctly, get a licensed electrician to fix it unless you know exactly what you're doing.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electrical_outlet_tester

These are widely available at hardware stores in the electrical tools department.

Been in the computer and electronics for decades. This problem occurs a lot when a PC is connected to a TV via RCA, HDMI, PCI and/oe optical cables. The only solution we found is cut the ground pin off the PC power cable. The PC is always plugged into a UPS, but for the normal ground problems that arise, this solves the noise. Funny thing is, sometimes it a low 60 cycle hum and other times is telstar high tones.

Been in the computer and electronics for decades. This problem occurs a lot when a PC is connected to a TV via RCA, HDMI, PCI and/oe optical cables. The only solution we found is cut the ground pin off the PC power cable. The PC is always plugged into a UPS, but for the normal ground problems that arise, this solves the noise. Funny thing is, sometimes it a low 60 cycle hum and other times is telstar high tones.
NEVER, EVER, cut the ground pin on anything. You can expose yourself to potentially lethal voltages.

Total FALSEHOOD. If that was the case there would never be a ground lift on pro audio electronics. Check your AXE.

That's an audio ground lift, not a power ground lift. Two very, very different things. NEVER, EVER remove the ground from the power cable. This is incredibly dangerous.

So glad that Cliff responded to clarify this. I think it's time for that meme again "That's not how this works...".

Back
Top Bottom