UPDATE - 18.03 - Main gigging preset shows as clipping output

I’ll check it out, but if that’s the case - 17.02 is resetting my system parameters because power amp modeling is always on for me.

I had this output 1 issue just now happen as well. AX 3 mkii. I loaded the above preset and had no issues. Was going through some of my gigging presets messing with mostly changing from L+R to Left etc on some of the blocks. Still no issues. Then I scrolled over to factory preset Plexi 100, loaded it and no sound out 1 was pegged. Went through numerous presets including my Gigging presets and no sound out 1 stayed pegged. So rebooted and all is well. Did the same things to best of my memory and can’t get it to do it again so far.
Seems to be a bug somewhere this has never happened for me before.

Hey there

Did you edit the global EQ or is it flat? Could be a global setting is effecting the clipping?

I loaded it on my FX3 with 17.02 and can't duplicate the problem. I seriously doubt the CAB block or IR would be causing the problem and can't confirm the compressor or the output block is the problem.

I'd recommend resetting back to factory specs, reloading the firmware, letting *Edit reread all the blocks, then reloading the preset in question and see what happens.

Update - this is still an issue when i turn on the unit with firmware 18.03… but i found a workaround.

I like to start this patch on scene 1 - my clean channel. So if I save scene 1 with the filter #2 block bypassed, the preset can be started without clipping - from there I am able to open the layout, turn on filter #2 and resume using the entire preset with no issue. I’ve done a few gigs and rehearsals this way and have gotten through with no issue.

The problem comes when i shut the unit off without re-saving scene 1 to have filter #2 bypassed. If i start the unit on this preset with filter #2 active on scene 1, output 1 shows as clipping the left and right channels and i can’t get the axe fx to work properly (in terms of receiving and transmitting sound - i can still change, edit, and save presets) until i do a reset. The clipping appears on the output 1 display in the face of the axe fx and in the main output section of focusrite control.

I have yet to do a backup and update to firmware 19, but I’m assuming the issue will still be there. Plus between work, gigs, and rehearsals, i just don’t have the time.

I’m glad to have found a workaround l, but I’m still at a bit of a loss on what the overall problem with the preset is. I should be able to turn on the axe and be able to play without having to edit the preset every time, but something is tripping it up.

Update - this is still an issue when i turn on the unit with firmware 18.03… but i found a workaround.

I like to start this patch on scene 1 - my clean channel. So if I save scene 1 with the filter #2 block bypassed, the preset can be started without clipping - from there I am able to open the layout, turn on filter #2 and resume using the entire preset with no issue. I’ve done a few gigs and rehearsals this way and have gotten through with no issue.

The problem comes when i shut the unit off without re-saving scene 1 to have filter #2 bypassed. If i start the unit on this preset with filter #2 active on scene 1, output 1 shows as clipping the left and right channels and i can’t get the axe fx to work properly (in terms of receiving and transmitting sound - i can still change, edit, and save presets) until i do a reset. The clipping appears on the output 1 display in the face of the axe fx and in the main output section of focusrite control.

I have yet to do a backup and update to firmware 19, but I’m assuming the issue will still be there. Plus between work, gigs, and rehearsals, i just don’t have the time.

I’m glad to have found a workaround l, but I’m still at a bit of a loss on what the overall problem with the preset is. I should be able to turn on the axe and be able to play without having to edit the preset every time, but something is tripping it up.
I’d might suggest you save the existing preset so you have your road map, and re-build it from a blank preset. Even though you found a method to work-around, it sure feels like the preset is corrupt or at least at the verge of being so (not sure one can really be at the verge, but…).

Is this preset pushing your AF3 over 80%, which can lead to unexpected behavior at times?

I’m also not sure why you would expect firmware 19.00 to handle the issue the same. Besides the upgrades described in each firmware, there are also bugs or misbehaviors resolved regularly.

Anyways, I do hope these ideas help you resolve this issue.

Cheers,
Lee

I'll take a look into rebuilding the preset - I was simply hoping it wouldn't resort to that.

It does sit over 80% - and in performance settings never gets to more than 82%. This has been fine with all firmware updates until fw17.

I'm assuming there's been no change with fw19 since Cliff popped in himself at one point and thought that power amp modeling was shut off - so it doesn't seem that this issue is on his radar in a major way as it doesn't seem to be popping up too often. If by happenstance something has been worked that fixes this issue, that would be excellent! I do plan to update to 19 before rebuilding the preset.

I appreciate your input @is9582!

I'll take a look into rebuilding the preset - I was simply hoping it wouldn't resort to that.

It does sit over 80% - and in performance settings never gets to more than 82%. This has been fine with all firmware updates until fw17.

I'm assuming there's been no change with fw19 since Cliff popped in himself at one point and thought that power amp modeling was shut off - so it doesn't seem that this issue is on his radar in a major way as it doesn't seem to be popping up too often. If by happenstance something has been worked that fixes this issue, that would be excellent! I do plan to update to 19 before rebuilding the preset.

I appreciate your input @is9582!
Yeah, I understand that it is extra work on your part to rebuild. Another possibility would be to start a separate thread and post the preset. Others of us could see if we experience the same issue on our AF3’s. No matter which way you choose, I hope you can get it dialed in to no longer behave negatively. Especially at a gig.

Lee

Yeah, I understand that it is extra work on your part to rebuild. Another possibility would be to start a separate thread and post the preset. Others of us could see if we experience the same issue on our AF3’s. No matter which way you choose, I hope you can get it dialed in to no longer behave negatively. Especially at a gig.

Lee
Preset is posted at post #1

Just getting over the Vid. Can't believe I didn't recall seeing the thread earlier.

I loaded your preset into my AF3 Mk2 running full FW19.00 and I get the same lockup you and other described. I tried a few things (one of note being changing the input on the compressor by Output1 to Line rather than instrument) but observed nothing meaningful or positive in any manner.

Hell, (with this damn Covid) I may have missed this too, but I wonder if @Admin M@ has already had a go at this issue.
Best
Lee

Edit: left out negative connection to results.

Last edited:
Just getting over the Vid. Can't believe I didn't recall seeing the thread earlier.

I loaded your preset into my AF3 Mk2 running full FW19.00 and I get the same lockup you and other described. I tried a few things (one of note being changing the input on the compressor by Output1 to Line rather than instrument) but meaningful or positive of any value.

Hell, (with this damn Covid) I may have missed this too, but I wonder if @Admin M@ has already had a go at this issue.
Best
Lee

Really appreciate your diligence. I find it interesting that you’re on a MkII unit and still having problems. I had just come to the conclusion that it must be something with the MkI axe 3s.

As stated previously, the only thing that has worked so far is to bypass filter 2 block and save the preset. Then when the axe fx is reset, the preset will work fine - you just have to turn on filter 2 block after the axe has booted normally.

Really appreciate your diligence. I find it interesting that you’re on a MkII unit and still having problems. I had just come to the conclusion that it must be something with the MkI axe 3s.

As stated previously, the only thing that has worked so far is to bypass filter 2 block and save the preset. Then when the axe fx is reset, the preset will work fine - you just have to turn on filter 2 block after the axe has booted normally.
Glad to at least give it a try. I should have confirmed that I also performed your work-around, and that also was successful for me.

I have had similar issues on power up. Either Clipping or the patch sounds nothing like it should. For me it's kind of random when it happens and if I go to another patch and back again it's fine (or just another scene of the same patch and back). I have not had it happed in the latest firmware but if I get it again I'll post the patch and Scene that it was on.

Back
Top Bottom