Upcoming Axe-Fx II Streaming Class

Would the course benefit Ultra users? I can see that a few topics cover axeII only features (Scenes, Tone Matching, Reamping, etc...).
I already watched the free material available (Segment 1 - Dialing in a Clean Tone), all I can say is congrats to Cooper, your course was really well executed and instructive.

Would the course benefit Ultra users? I can see that a few topics cover axeII only features (Scenes, Tone Matching, Reamping, etc...).
I already watched the free material available (Segment 1 - Dialing in a Clean Tone), all I can say is congrats to Cooper, your course was really well executed and instructive.

I would say yes, several sections would be very beneficial to ultra users given what I cover in terms of talking about dialing in tone in general.

I purchased the course, and it's great information. I'm really enjoying the material. Thank you for putting this together.

Don't know if it's been asked, but will you be doing an advanced version of this? Something for power users that dives into deeper editing and control options? I haven't seen video, and may go ahead and buy it, but most reviews on the Creativelive site say it's a great "intro" or "overview" of the Axe and MFC but many seem to want to dig deeper. I've had the Axe since FW5, use modifiers and Scene Controllers, mixers etc. I also know some of the power users like you, Tyler, Yek and Clarky for example can run circles around me, lol.

Seems like many users, myself included, struggle with FRFR live. Getting great, punchy and dynamic clean tones live at reasonable volume is tough.

I'm a Strat player, and want that sound that Dave Specter got on the Live at Chicago album, or SRV etc. A high powered blackface clean than is crisp and tight until you dig in with pick to get some break up. I'm close, but still not there.

Advanced amp parameters, and Cliff notes really help, but would love to see some really in depth stuff. Same with EFX, java junkie does some awesome stuff, as do Yek and Simeon etc, with EFX blocks. Really nailing some complex stuff. Be great to see some advanced EFX stuff to emulate classic pedals and technique. Edge style delays etc.

Also, X/Y blocks and Scenes have some advantages, but a lot of drawbacks to in terms of pops, lags, spillover and control.

There are some really creative ways Clarky and others combines Scenes with modifiers to eliminate the shortcomings. Clarky turned me on to setting IA to none, allowing for 2 CC messages to be sent instead. One is used for Scene selection, but gives you control of a modifier as well with each Scene change. Way more powerful than just selection or bypassing blocks. Best of both worlds.

Any thoughts?

Thanks for all your effort with this. I've learned a lot through your posts and videos in the past and really appreciate it!

Sent from my iPhone

Wow! Thanks so much for doing that instead of just copying them! Cheers!
Happy to give the support, brother. As musicians, we are all-to-painfully familiar with the impact of "sharing", no matter how kind the intent :)

I once bought a bootleg copy of one of my band's live shows from a guy in the parking lot outside the venue. He was pretty embarrassed when he realized I was in the band. I told him I was willing to buy the CD because I remember it being a good show. I recognized him in particular because he had set up some expensive shotgun mics and a nice portable DAT to bootleg the show; obviously he spent money on the gear and put a lot of effort into picking his spot and getting a good recording, although he had not gotten our permission to do so. I asked him if he'd mind if I made a bunch of copies of the CD to give away to band, the crew, and for that matter, anybody I had ever met in my entire life. He looked really sheepish and said "I get it. Sorry man." I still paid him, and comped him to our next gig. I didn't want to shame him, only to come to an agreeable understanding about fair use. For the record: I don't really object if people want to record my shows; I just want there to be sense of fair play about it. If you didn't pay the artist for the live recording (and they don't mind the recording being made) then freely share it, recouping only the cost of a blank CD. If the original material is being sold, making / acquiring an unauthorized "free" copy is theft, and degrades the integrity of everyone involved.

Watching the sample video- looks very informational! Do you get into talking about playing with the axe live? I've had decent success with tone dialing for recording volumes through studio monitors. When I tried to play out with my axe FX II, I had a lot of trouble. Fighting the fletcher munson and having my tones be big.

Information is VERY well presented and I'll definitely be buying this. Any beginning axe user should check this out. Wish I had this when I was learning!

PS- when playing live, do you use scenes Cooper/talk about that in the video? I have a hard time- I dial in a great clean tone on its own. But switching presets live gives me a bit of lag, whereas scenes are gapless switching.

Uses amps X/Y state also gives me a hiccup so it's hard to switch right away. I just have a hard time getting ALL my sounds in one preset.

Last edited:
That was more of an example of getting all sounds in one preset. I use 6 or so presets, with 4 to 8 scenes for different songs. I have my main preset for most things, with clean, crunch, munch, and some volume boosted versions, maybe with a bit more gain and volume, as well a several effects.

And I have the other presets, each with 2 - 8 scenes, that I use for different styles of songs, and a few presets that are set up for a particular song.

I like to press a single button and have several things happen at once, like volume/gain boost, echo on, and maybe chorus when I play a solo section of a song. Even for switching between clean and dirty, or clean straight to boosted solo, etc.

Last edited:
The download is an mp4 file that can be viewed in Windows Media Player on your computer. It sounds like you are looking for software that will convert the mp4 to a dvd format. Is that correct? If so, see CNET.com for a free program.

Back
Top Bottom