Upcoming Axe-Fx II Streaming Class

Cooper Carter

Fractal Fanatic
Vendor
Hello everyone!

I will be hosting a six-hour Axe-Fx II intensive class streaming live from CreativeLive.com on August 5. My intention is for it to be an instructive and entertaining dive into some of my favorite features of the Axe, focusing on how we as musicians can leverage the immense power of the unit to achieve our creative goals.

I already know what I consider important to cover in the talk. What I want to know is what *you* all would like to see talked about, demonstrated, or covered in specific detail. Nothing Axe-Fx related is off limits, and with six hours, I'll be covering a lot of ground.

(Please bear in mind that, though technical, this class will be a collection of tutorials, the ultimate goal of which will be to help you better use the Axe-Fx to make music! It's not so much an opportunity for troubleshooting/rote technical support.)

So post your suggestions/requests below

Cooper

For those that purchased the class:

Presets from the CreativeLive course can now be downloaded at

https://www.creativelive.com/courses/using-axefx-cooper-carter

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi Cooper, I think this is a brilliant idea. I am dyslexic and have struggled with such a technical piece of kit as the Axe FX II using the Manuel. I personal would like you to talk through a full set up of a tone from scratch, how best to build it up using all the different parameters inc auditioning cabs with amps and how best to do this. And then all the parameters and options that arnt normal amp controls explained and their effects on the tone also including areas like what levels to set output volumes too for best results. Just my thoughts, thank you for reading. Matt.

Wow!! This will be a great resource for our community. Thanks for taking on this project.

Dialing in effects, scenes, modifiers & tone matching are topics I'd like to hear in your AxeFx class.

6 hours? Incredible.

I would like to know more about the deeper editing of blocks. I tend to dial and leave it.

I still don't understand scenes and how they're used.

An example of making your own IRs.

This is exciting! I'd love to see a bit on IR's that will sound good live and in the studio. Which IR's you use with which amp, how mixing certain IR's together compliment each other, etc.

Thanks in advance!

Like the IRs suggestion, as well as the deeper block editing.

Would also like to see parallel preset building covered in detail, the real whys explained and demonstrated...

Fantastic - really looking forward to this - time to clear your calendars for August 5th - is there a time set?

Topic Suggestions:

- All Things UltraRes (including before and after comparison of the most popular cabs used in various genres)

- Migrating from II to II-XL (tips for a smooth transition)

- Leveling for Dummies (using your ear ... and common sense)

- Cliff Notes (your ticket to your own signature sound / factory settings are just that / Cliff's guidance applies to FW 15b and beyond)

- CabLab for Dummies (IR Capture, Blending and UltraRes Conversion)

- DIY Drive Block & Clean Boost Design (Cliff says the tools are all there to create yer own)

- Any and All Suggestions from M@ and, of Course, The Master! :D

- On Demand (uh oh - August 5th is a Tuesday - folks with day jobs might enjoy a Replay On Demand option)

Thanks Coop, Cliff, Matt and FAS! :encouragement:

Last edited:
Great Idea Cooper, I'd like to see some things on how to get more out of the effects, I tend to find them a bit more difficult to get great effects compared to like the lexicon and other older effects units. Would be cool to see you work with blending cab's and how you approach that. Looking forward to this class, sounds like will pretty amazing!!!!

It would be nice if this is recorded and pieced into separate videos by topic for those of us with day jobs. Even if it's 10 minutes on this and 45 minutes on that. I would love to do the 6 hour event all at once, but I don't know if I could swing that

All creativeLIVE classes are available for individual purchase after air on their website. The talk is also split up into logical sections when you go to watch it after the fact.

All creativeLIVE classes are available for individual purchase after air on their website. The talk is also split up into logical sections when you go to watch it after the fact.

Great idea! Heard you get some awesome tones, so looking forward to some power user tips.
Gain Staging blocks would be good, a lot of people seem to struggle with that.
Newer parameters in Amp Block, Input Drive, Input Trim, CF Comp, Cathode Squish, XFRMR Match and how the Master affects these. I know these aren't all new, but understanding them really helps dial in block.
Parallel blocks and their effect on volume, understanding delay law in current block, how you narrow down IR choice when building preset etc!

Any idea on cost? I know you'll have a lot of time invested, just curious.

Thanks again'

Sent from my iPhone

Controllers & modifiers explained, & all the different filters and triggers.. I think there is an enormous world of variety and possibility that hidden in plain sight for the user that doesn't know how or when to use them.

Looking forward to that. Please cover ToneMatching, especially where isolated guitar parts are not available.

-Setting up and dialing in effects for live use.
-How would the pro's determine and adjust levels based on the venue they are performing in. (reverb...etc)

-Configuring expression pedals to morph delays from tight rhythm settings to long lead settings, whether using x/y states, or separate blocks, and how the pro's would best utilize their options.

-What is Matts procedure when he hand delivers an axfx to an artist and his tech then demonstrates and sets up the Ax for the performer?

Are the factory settings and presets banks for artists the same as those for John Q public?

Last edited:
I'd like to see a run through of each block, explaining what each parameter is for and then demonstrating it's usage and perhaps suggesting applicable applications that it would be used on and why.

The only thing I would hate to see is this turning into a "how do I dial in this effect" etc...

Back
Top Bottom