"Up" and "Down" buttons

painkiller

Experienced
I don't know if this has been already adressed, but is there a reason why the preset-"up"-button switches the presets one preset further, but every other "up"-button switches its parameters one parameter back. Like the cabinets or amps.

Couldn't this be more consistent? I always press the wrong up or down button :D

European vs American notation ?
Up implies increment.... to me, it's about the same as 1,000.00 and 1.000,00

I don't know if this has been already adressed, but is there a reason why the preset-"up"-button switches the presets one preset further, but every other "up"-button switches its parameters one parameter back. Like the cabinets or amps.

Couldn't this be more consistent? I always press the wrong up or down button :D

Same here. :cool:

European vs American notation ?
Up implies increment.... to me, it's about the same as 1,000.00 and 1.000,00

Here an example:

Go to cabinet 50 and press the cabinet-"up" button. Axe-Edit switches to cabinet 49.

Go to preset 50 and press the preset-"up" button. Axe-Edit switches to preset 51

Here an example:

Go to cabinet 50 and press the cabinet-"up" button. Axe-Edit switches to cabinet 49.

Go to preset 50 and press the preset-"up" button. Axe-Edit switches to preset 51
LOL - OK.. got it now..idk.
I'll try later.. not at home right now

PS: That info would have been great in the OP :)

this has been mentioned many times. here's what's happening:

the Preset Up/Down goes "Up and Down" via Preset numbers. so UP = increase in preset number, 001 up 002 up 003 down 002. i'd say this is the more typical behavior. Up = Increase

all (?) other Up/Down go "Up and Down" a DECENDING list. the cab list is labeled 1 2 3 4 etc in a decending list. so DOWN = increase in number.

1 down 2 down 3 up 2

that's the issue, though once you understand it, maybe it can be remembered? not a bug, but a design choice due to a list style selection from some parameters.

I never said that it's a bug. I only would find it more logical if an "up" button always increases (or decreases) the number.

I was just coming here to start a thread on this! This is nonsensical behavior IMO and should be changed for consistency's sake. If I am on something with a number and I click an up arrow, that number should go up, not down. No amount of explanation is going to change the fact that this is just very bad from a UI perspective.
-
Austin

It depends if the field is a value or a list. Up will increase a value, but will move backwards in a list. When you have a vertical list of ascending numbered items, moving down the list results in the item numbers increasing. Down = Up. Therein lies the confusion. The preset number field at the top of Axe Edit is not a list, but a value. You have to hit the "Presets..." button next to it to see the list.

From the user's viewpoint I don't understand why my presets are "values". At least in my AxeFx I have a list of presets, exactly like I have list of cab models. There should be no difference in the behavior of the up/down buttons ;)

Last edited:
I think consistency would be helpful here. These values have similar list forms and similar window forms. Up/down behavior is consistent between all of these parameters when you're in the list form. It changes—for the preset name only—when you use the window mode.

Back
Top Bottom