Unwanted Breakup

something isn't right...that doesn't sound normal to me at all
Thank you! Nobody's mentioned the "character" of the breakup. It's not at all organic or desirable. It seems much more like an artifact. What would you do to trouble shoot?

To get completely clean sounds with my stock 54 Stratocaster I have to turn the input gain to at least 0.5 even on clean Fender amps set at low volumes. I can not set some Fender amps in the Axe FX like I do for clean sounds on the same amps in real life and get the same clean sound. It is way more touch sensitive than on the real amps. On the real amps I can set the amps clean, and if I play harder it just gets louder, it doesn't distort when I play harder like to does with the Axe FXIIXL+ or Axe FXIII. I've literally had to learn to play with a much softer touch than I normally use when playing through real Fender amps if I want a completely clean sound with the Axe FXIII. Or use a compressor, which I don't need to use with the real amps. You can get a great totally clean amp sound though with everything set right.

Check your guitar action. Any fret buzz, nut buzz, or bridge buzz, at all is very noticeable and unforgiving on the Axe FXIII.
I recently had to get the nut filed on a telecaster that was causing a buzz I couldn't figure out where it was coming from.
Two strings were buzzing at the nut.

Turn off the input noise gate completely and try it. I don't use it on clean sounds.

Make sure nothing is clipping in your preset. There are several tutorial videos that stress this and go through this in detail.

Make sure nothing is clipping in your interface or your DAW.

If none of those things work I'd contact support. I can't think of anything else that might be the problem.

Last edited:
To get completely clean sounds with my stock 54 Stratocaster I have to turn the input gain to at least 0.5 even on clean Fender amps like the Twin Reverb, or Deluxe Reverb set at low volumes. I can not set the Fender amps in the Axe FX like I do for clean sounds on the same amps in real life and get the same clean sound. It is way more touch sensitive than on the real amps. On the real amps I can set the amps clean, and if I play harder it just gets louder, it doesn't distort when I play harder like to does with the Axe FXIIXL+ or Axe FXIII. I've literally had to learn to play with a much softer touch than I normally use when playing through real Fender amps if I want a completely clean sound with the Axe FXIII. Or use a compressor, which I don't need to use with the real amps. You can get a great totally clean amp sound though with everything set right.

Check your guitar action. Any fret buzz, nut buzz, or bridge buzz, at all is very noticeable and unforgiving on the Axe FXIII.
I recently had to get the nut filed on a telecaster that was causing a buzz I couldn't figure out where it was coming from.
Two strings were buzzing at the nut.

Turn off the input noise gate completely and try it. I don't use it on clean sounds.

Make sure nothing is clipping in your preset. There are several tutorial videos that stress this and go through this in detail.

Make sure nothing is clipping in your interface or your DAW.

If none of those things work I'd contact support. I can't think of anything else that might be the problem.
Do you set the Input Trim to .5 to simulate the "normal" input?

If not then that's equivalent of using the "high" input.

Do you set the Input Trim to .5 to simulate the "normal" input?

If not then that's equivalent of using the "high" input.

I'm not trying to emulate the normal input, just trying to keep the sound clean even if I pick hard. The input trim is normally set to 1.000. I have to lower it for some amps to get a good clean sound. I just checked and I set the input trim on 0.300 for the 59 Bassman, and 0.400 for the Super Reverb. I'm getting good sounds though.

I'm not trying to emulate the normal input, just trying to keep the sound clean even if I pick hard. The input trim is normally set to 1.000. I have to lower it for some amps to get a good clean sound. I just checked and I set the input trim on 0.300 for the 59 Bassman, and 0.400 for the Super Reverb. I'm getting good sounds though.
But if you want clean on the real amp would you not use the normal channel?

But if you want clean on the real amp would you not use the normal channel?

On my 59 Bassman I jump the bright and normal channels. (We can't jump the channels for the 59 Bassman with the Axe FXIII yet. I posted a wish a while ago. Maybe they'll add it someday.) On my 66 Super Reverb I use the vibrato channel so I can use the reverb. I jump the channels on my Hiwatts, Marshalls, Vox AC30's.

I am mainly using old Fender amps, Twin Reverbs, Deluxe Reverbs, Super Reverbs, 59 Bassman's, Hiwatts, Vox AC30's etc, for clean sounds in the real world. I can actually get a great clean sound with my Marshall Plexi if set right also. I try to re-create what I do in the real world with the Axe FX.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom