Unsolvable ground hum last night

James Nash

Inspired
Let me start by saying I think my Axe FX III was not the root of my problem. Nevertheless, I had the frustrating experience of a normally bulletproof rig failing to function at soundcheck time...

I set up my Axe III and AccuGroove Latte, and it sounded great on stage as always. No problem.

But the FOH was getting a loud buzz in the DI signal. Tried the Axe III balanced XLR output with and without the ground lift -- the hum was different, but bad in both positions.

This happens sometimes, so I carry a Radial JDI: I connected an unbalanced 1/4"out from the Axe into the JDI transformer DI box, then XLR to the snake. Same result: hum with both positions of the ground switch. There was a low-pitched 60Hz hum with the ground connected, and a higher-pitched buzzy hum with the ground lifted.

The other guitarist had a completely different rig (Fishman blender DI powered by a wall wart). He had precisely the same problem.

The FOH connected microphones to our XLR lines, and they were completely clean. We tried other cables and channels. Nothing we did could result in a usable DI signal to the FOH.

Eventually, we just put microphones on our FRFR amps, which seemed kinda silly, but it was the only way to get our guitar tones to the house.

Anyone have a theory what was going on ? Is it possible to have a ground loop through a ground-lifted transformer ?!?

This venue mostly uses microphones and battery-powered acoustic instruments direct to the snake -- it had probably been months since anyone had connected AC-powered gear on the stage through that snake. As best we could tell, it is currently not possible to get a DI to work through that system. Theories on what's going on with the tech ?

PS The microphones worked just fine, and we had a good night. Most problems can be solved :)

-James

There’s one venue we play which has this problem. We discovered that one of their power sockets is faulty.

Thanks for the tip, Roland! Did you find out any details about what was wrong ? I'm guessing significant voltage on the safety ground, maybe ?

Back
Top Bottom