Uno Chip or No Uno Chip? ... or HD500?

JRod4928

Power User
I'm looking to use a Behringer FCB1010 or an HD500 for the AXE 2. I'm not sure if I need the UNO chip or not, I tried searching but there are a million threads to read through and some seem contradictory... anyway here is the functionality I want...

1) One Row of buttons assigned to presets
2) 2nd Row of buttons assigned to scenes
3) Lights to come on to indicate which preset and scene is selected
4) Tap Tempo button
4a) X, Y control assigned to a button
5) 2 buttons to scroll up/down through presets, and a button to select it. (less important)
6) Not terribly interested in stompbox mode (less important)
7) Tuner displayed on foot controller (is this even possible on the 1010?) (less important)

Can the HD500, stock FCB1010, or FCB1010 with UNO chip do this?

Last edited:
no you do not need the uno if you don't mind only 1 way transmit. I use fcb, once I learned the pedal dance(to program, you can use an editor but I hade better luck with manual programing) I don't have any problem making it do what ever. pod 500x works pretty well as controller you can even name the presets in the screen with a little programing, but I have not figured out how to change bottom switches so they do not do presets, top row and exp any thing goes! it is also good to have around when friends want to play(you don't want them in the axe)also could be a back up.

no you do not need the uno if you don't mind only 1 way transmit. I use fcb, once I learned the pedal dance(to program, you can use an editor but I hade better luck with manual programing) I don't have any problem making it do what ever. pod 500x works pretty well as controller you can even name the presets in the screen with a little programing, but I have not figured out how to change bottom switches so they do not do presets, top row and exp any thing goes! it is also good to have around when friends want to play(you don't want them in the axe)also could be a back up.

The HD500 as a backup rig is one of the reasons why I'd love to go that route. I don't need the few extra buttons on the FCB. I foresee myself using a max of 4 scenes for any preset, and probably a max of 6 presets in any one gig.

Can the HD400 be used in the same way? My friend has a broken one that I might try to get from him for very cheap.

I do not know on the 400. 4 scenes is no problem the patch puts you on 1 then you could use up down or have 4 scene switches. for the tuner no on both(fcb + pod)unless you run the guitar signal in to the pod and use the pod tuner. tap tempo is really easy you just edit the pod tap tempo button. X Y is just a cc command no sweat.

If you are not familiar with the pod, the midi is totally adjustable with line 6 edit (not as easy as axe edit but better for me then the fcb edit I have tried). I went to an empty bank on the pod and named all my first several presets just like the axe so at a clance I knew what patch I was on. it realy didn't work to bad exept for only one exp. I do still run my signal through my pod for the lopper(I prefer it to the axe looper) but not so much for the midi(my only dis like there really was having the scenes in the top row I sometimes would hit the preset switch wile in a hurry to change scene)

For MIDI controlling purposes, can the POD x3 Live do the same stuff as the HD500?

Especially in regards to the expression pedal. does it have a 'toe down' button, like the HD500, and can it act as 2 separate expression pedals, like the HD500?

Last edited:
As for FCB1010 support...

#1 & #2 are doable with either stock or UnO firmwares.

You'll need the UnO firmware upgrade to accomplish #3. Stock firmware only lights the LED that was last pressed. You can program it the way you want but you won't get the visual feedback of multiple LEDs.

#4 & #4a seem to contradict #2. i.e. if you've got the second row dedicated to scenes then there's no buttons available to tap & x/y?!?
<<Note: You can use the preset button to also send the tap tempo but there are caveats>>

#5 is available with both via bank up and down buttons

#6 ummmm, yes you are...see #3 :)

#7 not natively. I think there's some mods out there you can do but that's a different can of worms.

As for FCB1010 support...

#1 & #2 are doable with either stock or UnO firmwares.
Cool

You'll need the UnO firmware upgrade to accomplish #3. Stock firmware only lights the LED that was last pressed. You can program it the way you want but you won't get the visual feedback of multiple LEDs.
Thought so

#4 & #4a seem to contradict #2. i.e. if you've got the second row dedicated to scenes then there's no buttons available to tap & x/y?!?
<<Note: You can use the preset button to also send the tap tempo but there are caveats>>
No they don't. I didn't say I wanted ALL of the buttons assigned to scenes or presets

#5 is available with both via bank up and down buttons
Cool

#6 ummmm, yes you are...see #3 :)
No I'm not. Is 'stomp box mode' the same as changing scenes? I don't care about having a button dedicated to turning on/off a delay, flanger, chorus, etc. individually (stompbox mode?) I only care about changing an entire scene, which may turn on/off multiple things at once (changing scenes)

#7 not natively. I think there's some mods out there you can do but that's a different can of worms.
Cool

Thanks man! Got my comments above

No I'm not. Is 'stomp box mode' the same as changing scenes? I don't care about having a button dedicated to turning on/off a delay, flanger, chorus, etc. individually (stompbox mode?) I only care about changing an entire scene, which may turn on/off multiple things at once (changing scenes)

Stompbox mode allows a row of non-preset switches that are globally defined. So yes you can assign them to anything that is MIDI controllable in the axe. x/y, tap, scene control, etc. That's how I would do scenes (I actually only used scene inc & decr because I didn't want to lose more than two buttons for scene control) Without stompbox mode you will lose the preset LED once any of the scenes or tap or x/y is hit. As long as you can live with that then you don't need stompbox mode.

Back
Top Bottom