FM9 unix-guy's random jams

unix-guy

Master of RTFM
So, I like to come up with simple riffs or chord progressions, slap them into the Looper and then improvise over them...

I'm not looking for something perfect or refined - just chasing my muse trying to explore melody, phrasing and inflection. Just play!

Sometimes I crash and burn or pick some really "piquant" notes.

Anyway, I thought I would post a few recent examples and if anyone is interested I'll occasionally post more. And if nobody likes it that's ok, too :)

Here's one I recorded on 10/13 and totally forgot about. I rediscovered it tonight and thought it was worthy of sharing:

Here's another I did today:

Edit:

These are recorded in Voice Memo on my iPhone from roughly 3 feet away and about chest level with the sound coming from a pair of EV PXM 12MP FRFR monitors on the floor.

Occasionally I will connect the FM9 or Axe Fx III with a USB to lightning cable, but the phone mic works well and gives a good representation of what I hear while playing.

Last edited:
Personal Note: #171 has potential. Put it together with a bass line and some drums, and create some context of a song, rather than a vamp. The lead lines are really interesting, but could use some direction from a head (intro), verse, chorus, verse, solo, chorus, chorus, head viewpoint.

TBH, my songwriting skills aren't that great, but I try to remember to tell a story with the music, instead of noodle with a vamp. That being said, my typical practice involves accompanying my Music library playlists, but needs to focus more on songwriting if my open-mic scene likes practiced guitarists.

I have confidence that with time, we'll hear more of your music, and it will get better if you apply some basic rules regards direction and context.

Hope this doesn't sound too critical. Was hoping you could benefit from some constructive suggestions.

Personal Note: #171 has potential. Put it together with a bass line and some drums, and create some context of a song, rather than a vamp. The lead lines are really interesting, but could use some direction from a head (intro), verse, chorus, verse, solo, chorus, chorus, head viewpoint.

TBH, my songwriting skills aren't that great, but I try to remember to tell a story with the music, instead of noodle with a vamp. That being said, my typical practice involves accompanying my Music library playlists, but needs to focus more on songwriting if my open-mic scene likes practiced guitarists.

I have confidence that with time, we'll hear more of your music, and it will get better if you apply some basic rules regards direction and context.

Hope this doesn't sound too critical. Was hoping you could benefit from some constructive suggestions.
Thanks... I've been writing songs for a long time. You can check the link in my signature regarding that.

As noted in my OP:

just chasing my muse trying to explore melody, phrasing and inflection. Just play!
This isn't about songs except that these ideas or bits of them may eventually lead to a song in the future.

In any case, thanks for listening and providing feedback.

Thanks... I've been writing songs for a long time. You can check the link in my signature regarding that.

This isn't about songs except that these ideas or bits of them may eventually lead to a song in the future.

In any case, thanks for listening and providing feedback.
Concur! It's the little bits of info that eventually help you build something of value. The only "pain" involved is "making sure things launch" correctly.

So, I like to come up with simple riffs or chord progressions, slap them into the Looper and then improvise over them...

I'm not looking for something perfect or refined - just chasing my muse trying to explore melody, phrasing and inflection. Just play!

Sometimes I crash and burn or pick some really "piquant" notes.

Anyway, I thought I would post a few recent examples and if anyone is interested I'll occasionally post more. And if nobody likes it that's ok, too :)

Here's one I recorded on 10/13 and totally forgot about. I rediscovered it tonight and thought it was worthy of sharing:

Here's another I did today:

I really liked the first one, 165, good vibe! thanks for sharing…

His title was random jams 🤪

Hey there @unix-guy

Nice tracks to listen to. Sounds like a "just let it flow" through the fingers style of playing. Enjoyd it to listen too.

Ohboy, I did some research on you frfr set... Those are expensive wow.... but they really sound good, even though its recorded with an Iphone mic. 👌

Just have to find a nice bank to rob and get me a set too ;)

Cheers

Hey there @unix-guy

Nice tracks to listen to. Sounds like a "just let it flow" through the fingers style of playing. Enjoyd it to listen too.

Ohboy, I did some research on you frfr set... Those are expensive wow.... but they really sound good, even though its recorded with an Iphone mic. 👌

Just have to find a nice bank to rob and get me a set too ;)

Cheers
Yes, exactly... Very much just let it flow :)

The EVs aren't cheap but most good FRFRs are not.

Thanks

Back
Top Bottom