univibe and brown face princeton vibrato

tweedster

I'm really digging the Axe-Fx standard, but I've been looking for 2 sounds that I can't seem to get:

1) Univibe - like Bridge of Sighs by Robin Trower

2) The throbbing slow vibrato/trem of a brown face princeton (I think this was done by modulating the power tubes)

I really love the slow throbbing stuff. The Phasers and trems are good (and clean!), but they dont have that 3 dimensional soupy swirl. I've owned/played through the units mentioned above and I'd like to recreate them.

I've tried the wiki and searching the forum but I can't seem to find a reference to these 2 sounds.

Thanks,

Avi

Did you try the "vibe" setting in the phaser block? At first I did not realize there was a Univibe in the AF because it was hidden in the phaser block. Run before the drive and amp it has a killer Univibe effect.

Not sure about the brown face, but try experimenting with all the parameters of the Pan/Trem. I really dig the Rotary Cab (lestlie) effect myself for that Mike Landau style trem- there are some paremeters you can tweak there.

I didn't know about the vibe setting in the phaser block. I've never been a phaser fan, so I've never used the AFX phaser. I'll have to give that a spin this weekend....

D

funkle said:
Did you try the "vibe" setting in the phaser block? At first I did not realize there was a Univibe in the AF because it was hidden in the phaser block. Run before the drive and amp it has a killer Univibe effect.

Not sure about the brown face, but try experimenting with all the parameters of the Pan/Trem. I really dig the Rotary Cab (lestlie) effect myself for that Mike Landau style trem- there are some paremeters you can tweak there.

So are there 2 univibes in the Axe then? One "regular" and one hidden in the phaser block? I tried whatever the one is that is documented in the (outdated) manual, and it didn't really impress me. I like my Dunlop 'Vibe better. I would really rather NOT carry the dunlop around, so I'm gonna have to check out the one in the phaser block (assuming that that isn't the same one that I'm already using). Thanks for the tip!

I posted this on the old forum:

http://www.filefreak.com/pfiles/66614/Castles-2.mp3

It uses the vibe of the phase block, stock setting... The Axe-FX does a killer vibe, IMHO!

I have also made a custom vibrato setting using the delay block... I prefer the delay block to the chorus block for vibrato - the delay block can be dialed to have no audible latency. The chorus block adds latency...

brain21 said:
funkle said:

So are there 2 univibes in the Axe then? One "regular" and one hidden in the phaser block? I tried whatever the one is that is documented in the (outdated) manual, and it didn't really impress me. I like my Dunlop 'Vibe better. I would really rather NOT carry the dunlop around, so I'm gonna have to check out the one in the phaser block (assuming that that isn't the same one that I'm already using). Thanks for the tip!

No, only one. You get to it be using the phaser block and turning the order fully clockwise. It is documented in the manual:

The Phaser also contains a special “Vibe Mode” that recreates the classic vibe effect with astonishing accuracy. Set the ORDER control to fully clockwise to activate this mode.

Amphibian said:

It uses the vibe of the phase block, stock setting... The Axe-FX does a killer vibe, IMHO!

I have also made a custom vibrato setting using the delay block... I prefer the delay block to the chorus block for vibrato - the delay block can be dialed to have no audible latency. The chorus block adds latency...

can't you just turn the delay time down on the chorus to reduces the latency?

I think a digital Uni Vibe is very difficult to get a 100% to sound like a real one. Well, most of the analog clones out there don't even sound as good as a real one :shock: . I think Cliff has done a good job with it, not great but good, but like I said, that real organic swirl...very tricky...

javajunkie said:
Amphibian said:

can't you just turn the delay time down on the chorus to reduces the latency?

Last time I checked I couldn't get it to work...

tweedster said:
2) The throbbing slow vibrato/trem of a brown face princeton (I think this was done by modulating the power tubes)

I don't know if this is possible, or if it would help, but it's an idea.

Can you attach a modifier (I'm thinking one of the LFOs here...) to some of the poweramp sim parameters and mess around with that? I know there's not a supply voltage parameter or anything, but maybe you can get close by attaching an LFO to the sag or damp or some combination of those and other params.

gdgross said:
I don't know if this is possible, or if it would help, but it's an idea.

Can you attach a modifier (I'm thinking one of the LFOs here...) to some of the poweramp sim parameters and mess around with that? I know there's not a supply voltage parameter or anything, but maybe you can get close by attaching an LFO to the sag or damp or some combination of those and other params.
The Amp parameters have too many calculations associated with them to have Modifiers assigned to them.

I thought the Fender tremolo was a standard volume adjustment and the Vox was the one that did the weird bias-adjustment thing.

I found a link describing the tremolo circuit here (as well as some others):

http://www.lynx.bc.ca/~jc/tremoloCircuits.html

This tremolo in the brownface princeton is distinctly different from that in the blackface and silver face amps. It sounds almost like a univibe. I used to own this princeton (once upon a time....). It is also in the Fender brownface concert, which I have also played. Victoria used this circuit in their reverberato (which I also owned - sigh). Currently I think it is in the current trem de la trem (not sure), Tone King has it in their Continental, which I have played, and it is the most beautiful sounding example. I like my trem really slow. Can't stand the chop chop type. I was hoping I could create it in the Axe-fx.

Avi

Back
Top Bottom