Unity gain vs Amp block level

Jens973

Inspired
hi all,

time ago there was that topic here talking about how to set the output level knobs correctly. In my opinion it was a good idea to set them full right and to adjust the patches in a way that the output level never exceeds 0dB. For output 1 this theory is working well, but not for output 2.

Echoing output 1 to output 2 for my personal monitor, the signal is amplified more if the level knob is also set to 100%. The vu-meter of AX8 shows different (lower) values than my console. To match them, the level knob 2 needs to be centered. Setting IO/levels/out2 to 0dB or 12dB pad is not working and makes no difference at all, probably only working with a FXLoop Block.

Nevertheless I need to reduce levels in the amp block quite heavy to not clip the ax8 vu-meter. The Friedman BE V2 for example needs to be set to -30dB to just reach 0dB - this is near the low end of that knob and there is still no solo boost which would require to set the amp even lower. Obvious I could set the amp to -12dB and the speaker to -12dB and the main output section to -12dB aswell to achieve more or less the same effect. But this doesnt make it transparent to me, what are your expierences about that? How do you handle it?

Thanks for your ideas !

I would just set amp block level to whatever value you need to make it work and not worry about it. It is a pure digital scaling of the signal

Set the Output knob between 9-15 ‘our clock, never to 100%, at least in main experience ...
It's all relative to the internal preset level and the capability of what is accepting the signal.

If the preset level is very high, then 10% could still be too high. If the preset level is very low then 100% could still be too low.

hi all,

time ago there was that topic here talking about how to set the output level knobs correctly. In my opinion it was a good idea to set them full right and to adjust the patches in a way that the output level never exceeds 0dB. For output 1 this theory is working well, but not for output 2.

Echoing output 1 to output 2 for my personal monitor, the signal is amplified more if the level knob is also set to 100%. The vu-meter of AX8 shows different (lower) values than my console. To match them, the level knob 2 needs to be centered. Setting IO/levels/out2 to 0dB or 12dB pad is not working and makes no difference at all, probably only working with a FXLoop Block.

Nevertheless I need to reduce levels in the amp block quite heavy to not clip the ax8 vu-meter. The Friedman BE V2 for example needs to be set to -30dB to just reach 0dB - this is near the low end of that knob and there is still no solo boost which would require to set the amp even lower. Obvious I could set the amp to -12dB and the speaker to -12dB and the main output section to -12dB aswell to achieve more or less the same effect. But this doesnt make it transparent to me, what are your expierences about that? How do you handle it?

Thanks for your ideas !
the resulting amp block value doesn't matter because the gain structure of the amp can be radically different. the same amp could be -30 or +6 depending on other settings.

Back
Top Bottom