Unitune: less is more

P

plexi59

Who knew: removing the "bullshit" polytune mode from Polytune turns Polytune into a much better product, and at half the price. Same thing, basically, except for the mode that doesn't really work and only gets in the way. I'll be buying a couple more of these. At $25 there's no excuse not to have the convenience.

PolyTune is great for under-3–seconds checks of the tuning.

Tuning accuracy is the same for both the UnitTune and the PolyTune. Not sure where the “better” comes from unless the absence of the polytune mode is what you mean by “better”.

While I don’t often use the polytune mode, I already have a polytune in each of my guitar cases so I will be sticking with the polytune.

Yeah I just bought two unitunes when I needed a few more tuners. I rarely use the polytune mode so it was nice to get a price break. I wouldn't say it's useless, but I use it rarely enough that I don't miss it.

The annoying thing about Polytune (IMO) is it turns on its Polytune mode when it thinks multiple strings are ringing. It's a usability flaw, IMO. Unitune doesn't have this usability flaw and costs half as much. And no, you can't buy a strobe tuner with this level of accuracy "for $3".

The annoying thing about Polytune (IMO) is it turns on its Polytune mode when it thinks multiple strings are ringing. It's a usability flaw, IMO. Unitune doesn't have this usability flaw and costs half as much. And no, you can't buy a strobe tuner with this level of accuracy "for $3".
Yeah this always annoys me with the Polytune, sometimes I'll be in the middle of tuning a string and then it jumps into the polytune mode.

I always use the strobe tuner mode on both, works super well..

I've had all versions 1-2-3- used them exclusively with no other tuners for years

Never had it which modes out of place- ever

Play one note- normal, play more- poly. No issues

You want a strobe tuner- buy a strobe tuner- but any clip on tuner has more accuracy than a guitar can hit the tone intonated in the first place

I also like the unitone much better. Imean, like probably many of you, I have all sorts of tuners. Way too many. Thats what happens when you play guitar for 50 years :) I do have 2 of the polytunes also....

I have a "real" peterson strobe tuner as well on my pedalboard. IMO it isn't even so much about the accuracy per se, as it is about knowing when to stop turning the knob. I find that "needle" style chromatic tuners are more laggy, so by the time they respond I've already overshot the mark a bit. This is exacerbated if you're tuning a floyd rose equipped guitar. Strobe tuners are more immediate.

Back
Top Bottom