• We would like to remind our members that this is a privately owned, run and supported forum. You are here at the invitation and discretion of the owners. As such, rules and standards of conduct will be applied that help keep this forum functioning as the owners desire. These include, but are not limited to, removing content and even access to the forum.

Please give yourself a refresher on the forum rules you agreed to follow when you signed up.

Unit froze at boot up all lights on?

BigQ

I have an older Axe-FX II XL I picked up on eBay. I've been using it without issue for some time. The freeze issue started a while back and only occasionally however over time it has increased. I would have to shut down, wait a minute and then power up, no problem. Unreliable but working. Now my unit is frozen on the boot up screen which is light but blank and all lights are on, no sound and no control. Is there an alternative boot up option? How do I get past the frozen screen to hit the reset button? I want to factory reset all parameters. Thanks for any advice or help, BigQ.

Rain

Fractal Fanatic
I have an older Axe-FX II XL I picked up on eBay. I've been using it without issue for some time. The freeze issue started a while back and only occasionally however over time it has increased. I would have to shut down, wait a minute and then power up, no problem. Unreliable but working. Now my unit is frozen on the boot up screen which is light but blank and all lights are on, no sound and no control. Is there an alternative boot up option? How do I get past the frozen screen to hit the reset button? I want to factory reset all parameters. Thanks for any advice or help, BigQ.
Hi, do you know if the Internal Battery has ever been changed ?

unix-guy

Legend!
You might try opening it up and making sure all the ribbon cables are well seated.

Also, posting this in the Software/FractalBot forum is an odd choice as this is about your hardware...

BigQ

Thanks for your responses. After leaving the unit off for 24 hours I powered back on and is working fine. ??????? I did a factory reset and have been running it for hours at a time with no issues. ?????? It is now relegated to studio work only because I don't trust it on the stage. Is Kemper having these problems?????

unix-guy

Legend!
I'm not sure why you think Kemper is relative?

It's a (used) piece of hardware. That can fail regardless of manufacturer.

You can always contact Fractal support. Even though you bought it used and it would be well out of warranty even if you bought it new, they may be able to help you

BigQ

Kemper is very relative here if they don't have freeze issues. As far as my unit being used and I should expect failures, that's unacceptable!! There are no moving parts, its all software problems, ie: Corrupt files. Why doesn't Fractal Audio have a handle on these issues? In light of recent problems my Axe FX II XL is NO longer trust worthy for live shows and is now a studio piece waiting for the next freeze up. For the money these things cost, reliability has to be part of the price point. At the end of the day, it's not about the brand name, it's about the quality of the product and that makes KEMPER very relative.

FractalAudio

Administrator
Fractal Audio Systems
The Axe-Fx II is a very reliable piece of gear. As you bought it used we have no idea of its history. You can contact support and arrange to have the unit inspected/serviced.

If you doubt it's reliability ask around the Axe-Fx II sub-forum and the responses should be nearly unanimous.

yek

Kemper is very relative here if they don't have freeze issues. As far as my unit being used and I should expect failures, that's unacceptable!! There are no moving parts, its all software problems, ie: Corrupt files. Why doesn't Fractal Audio have a handle on these issues? In light of recent problems my Axe FX II XL is NO longer trust worthy for live shows and is now a studio piece waiting for the next freeze up. For the money these things cost, reliability has to be part of the price point. At the end of the day, it's not about the brand name, it's about the quality of the product and that makes KEMPER very relative.
Please be nice on this forum.

unix-guy

Legend!
I'm thinking you didn't comprehend what I wrote.

And how have you come to the conclusion this is a software issue?

Just because there are no moving parts (which is wrong in any case unless you've removed the fan) doesn't mean it can't be a hardware issue. There are many components inside the case, just like any other computer.

Kemper, Helix, etc can and do also fail.

Rain

Fractal Fanatic
I’ve been using the Fractal Axe FX in all iterations since 2009 in hundreds of gigs under all weather conditions and venues, even electrical surges from time to time and have never had a problem.
It’s extremely reliable, Fractal Audio provides unbeatable service and also has an informative Forum with great people who are always willing to help.
Every version of the Axe FX I’ve owned has made my life a lot easier playing with numerous projects. What a great trip it’s been...

djidoe

Inspired
Never had a problem for hundreds of gigs with AxeFX2, AX8, AxeFX3... and about 20 gigs with FM3... just waiting the virus to pass on to gig again !

Very, very reliable and great tones !

BigQ

Wow! I'm a new user with a legit problem and you guy's chastise me for questioning my units reliability. F'ing bullies. Came for answers and got yelled at. Unix-guy the information I got about the software issue came from THIS Forum and the other users with the same issue and don't patronize me with your cooling fan comment (because that fan and the chair your sitting on doesn't cause your software to freeze) . Not only has the unit let me down, but now the forum of "experts" has turned into a panel of bullies behind they're monitors.
As a newer user of the product and first time user of this forum, I am very disappointed with Fractal Audio Systems and some of it's so called "experts" on this forum. Between the issue I'm having with the "software" freezing up and way the monitors of this forum treated me, my unit is now for sale! Thanks, but no thanks! You can delete my thread and user name, no hard feelings!

unix-guy

Legend!
Can you please call us Fan Boys before you leave?

You were offered help but seem to not want to hear it. That is your problem, not ours...

In fact, the creator of the Axe Fx suggested above that you contact support to have your unit serviced (a strong indicator that he also thinks it's a hardware issue).

BigQ

I appreciate your suggestions, I'm not here to hate! In a previous comment I stated that the unit IS working after 24 hours off. I was able to perform a factory reset described somewhere on this forum, thanks! I have been playing out of it for hours in my home studio without issue. I did read several other threads here on the same topic. Some guy's say that freezes returned after reset but not all and although nobody had an answer, it was suggested that presets got corrupted somehow and it causes the unit to freeze. I use a Rocktron Midi Mate to switch presets and turn effects on and off. Can this corrupt a preset? I really like this unit but this issue scares the crap out of me. Honestly so does the thought of how much a bench test costs! Right now, the issue has yet to return or repeat so I'm gonna leave it in the rack and play it as a daily practice amp to see if the issue returns. It was running into the return of my Marshall JCM800, using it as the preamp. Now its the D.I. going into a Behringer X32 then an iMac with Logic Pro X. I am not using the Midi Mate in the studio, I change presets manually. If the issue returns, I'll call directly for sure!

ducci1012

There are a myriad of hardware issues that could legitimately cause what appear to be software issues, especially randomly.

Anecdotal: My work laptop recently had a RAM degredation issue. I was receiving BSODs maybe once a week, with the message "CRITICAL PROCESS DIED" (sounds like software to me). Eventually it started to be once a day, and then a few hours after startup. Ran a memory diagnostic test, and confirmed memory was the issue. Ordered new RAM, but had to make due for work until it arrived. Low and behold it doesn't happen again for about a week, so I didn't change it until then. Changed the memory after that failure and it hasn't happened since going on a few months.

So, yes, you have received the best advice you can with this type of issue: send it in to fractal for service and inspection. Anybody's input for an issue like this is a blind guess unfortunately, these issues need physical access to diagnose and resolve. Fractal will have the know-how to diagnose and resolve the issue. They have the very specific tools to test hardware to replace any components that could be acting up. The Axe FX; like a Kemper, like a Helix, like a computer, and like an actual tube amp; is an electronic device that WILL eventually have a component failure of some degree.

Top Bottom