Unexpected MIDI Problems - Need some advice please

Jbmetal

Inspired
Hey y'all! So I've had my Axe II and BJ Devices TB-12 MIDI controller since 2013. I'm very familiar with all of their functionalities.

Alright, so I had to make my own cables for my rig because I wanted a simplified setup; I wanted to only have to run a single cable (other than power) to my board. So I got a 50ft DB25 cable and put together TRS - MIDI adapters on a couple of the channels. Alright, so this has always worked well for me, never really had any problems. So, I just returned from a month abroad - I left my rig at home -and upon return, I CANNOT get the Axe and TB-12 to communicate coming or going.

I checked for continuity between all three connected pins on the MIDI plugs and they're all fine, so it isn't my soldering or the cables. I checked and tried changing the MIDI channels, that's not it. Tried reseating all the cables - nope. Restarting both units - nada. I just can't seem to figure out what it is. And the weird thing is that it was working perfectly right before I left, and it hasn't been turned on or touched for a month.

Any advice for troubleshooting would be great. Maybe I'm just overlooking something or not thinking to try something. Thanks so much in advance!

Last edited:
Do you happen to have a USB to midi adapter?

You can connect the TB-12 to your computer and run a free midi monitor like Midi-OX to see if it's sending anything.

I would suggest buying a cheap midi cable on Amazon for a few bucks to confirm it's not a problem with your cable.

Do you happen to have a USB to midi adapter?

You can connect the TB-12 to your computer and run a free midi monitor like Midi-OX to see if it's sending anything.

I would suggest buying a cheap midi cable on Amazon for a few bucks to confirm it's not a problem with your cable.

That's a good idea. I have an 18i20 I could use. I'll try it tomorrow morning. And if that doesn't work, I'll grab another cable on Amazon.

Thanks for the suggestion!

I finally got around to doing some troubleshooting and have discovered, to my dismay, that it was one of the cables. I found a midi cable deep in the closet and replaced the MIDI out -> Axe cable and it's now receiving and sending messages, so all is good.
I found these guys on Amazon for cheap, so I'm gonna try replacing one side of the connectors and see if it still works. 56278

I finally got around to doing some troubleshooting and have discovered, to my dismay, that it was one of the cables. I found a midi cable deep in the closet and replaced the MIDI out -> Axe cable and it's now receiving and sending messages, so all is good.
I found these guys on Amazon for cheap, so I'm gonna try replacing one side of the connectors and see if it still works. View attachment 56278
That looks like a midi to TRS adapter. How does that work?

That's what it is.

If you take apart a MIDI cable, it's just 3 wires, exactly like you'd find if you took apart a TRS connector. So, if you just take care to solder them correctly, all is good.

This is what has allowed me to run a DB25 cable for MIDI and audio to and from my pedalboard for the past 5 years.

That's what it is.

If you take apart a MIDI cable, it's just 3 wires, exactly like you'd find if you took apart a TRS connector. So, if you just take care to solder them correctly, all is good.

This is what has allowed me to run a DB25 cable for MIDI and audio to and from my pedalboard for the past 5 years.
I see... So you're just using it for parts instead of buying a midi connector and wiring it up?

I see... So you're just using it for parts instead of buying a midi connector and wiring it up?

Well, I'm hoping that it'll just be plug and play. I have 8-ch TRS looms at the ends of the DB25 cable. But if not, I can take it apart, yeah.

Back
Top Bottom