underwhelming sound through headphones advice

how do you play with apple EarPods? is it even comfortable? how about the volumes?
I have them plugged into Focusrite interface, which is on top of my monitors, so they are pretty comfortable yeah.

what do you mean about volumes ?

They really sound great, I can´t complain, and I am used to really nice studio monitors (Adam A7X´s).

I have them plugged into Focusrite interface, which is on top of my monitors, so they are pretty comfortable yeah.

what do you mean about volumes ?

They really sound great, I can´t complain, and I am used to really nice studio monitors (Adam A7X´s).
I mean the impedance on these wired EarPods would be too low, so do you find your self lowing the axe volume,? also , do you use a converter? the wired apple headphones I have, have a lightning connector. I mainly use dt770 pro for headphones and tracking.

I mean the impedance on these wired EarPods would be too low, so do you find your self lowing the axe volume,? also , do you use a converter? the wired apple headphones I have, have a lightning connector. I mainly use dt770 pro for headphones and tracking.
I have the old ones with 6.3mm input jack, using 1/4 guitar jack adapter to plug them into focusrite, and the volume is reduced to around 25%.

Works perfectly for me.

I'm sure this has been discussed in the past but looking for some fresh ideas about this. I have a Kemper and an axe iii and I love both. I find I really enjoy the feel through headphones of the Kemper, mainly because of the space effect I'm sure. on the axe, I've toyed with room parameters and haven't come close to a warm effect to compare with the Kemper headphone output. I'm sure its my problem and am looking for some tips to get a good headphone "room feel." thanks!
I also used the Space effect on the Kemper a lot when I had one. On the Axe-Fx III, I used to use the Enhancer, but now I just use the Room effect in the cab block. My setting is actually as high as 80 %, but with a 3m room. To me that's actually preferable to the Kemper Space. Then I use delay and reverb as I would additionally. YMMV.

I prefer a dry sound so tend to stay away from reverbs and, personally, I don't particularly enjoy the enhancer block. I give my tone a little more depth and "space" by blending in a second IR, at about half the volume of the main one, then using the distance control to move it further away.

If you go mental you can get awful results but in certain sweet-spots (55-65mm in my case) I really dig the effect.

To help dial it in, I hard pan everything to one side, play with the distance control until i get the desired clarity, then remove the panning.

hey all, wanted to followup and let you know I plunged and bought the audeze lcd2 headphones and all I can say is holy crap they are amazing. not only for getting great sound without tweaking room settings on the axe, but even for just straight listening to music. amazing! thanks guys!

hey all, wanted to followup and let you know I plunged and bought the audeze lcd2 headphones and all I can say is holy crap they are amazing. not only for getting great sound without tweaking room settings on the axe, but even for just straight listening to music. amazing! thanks guys!
Congrats. The only thing I don't like about mine is the cable design. I play standing up and it's awkward. I prefer a cable that only goes to one ear.

• Enhancer block (Stock settings are fine)
  • Crack up the mix on the reverb - For headphones I usually use 20+%
  • Add some room on the cab block, to taste

stereo digital delay has a L/R time offset knob, barely bumped down from 100% combined with stereo width and zero feedback short delay threw all the enhancer/reverb/room attempts out the window for me

Now that so many people mentioned Audeze LCD2s: Do you use the open or closed version? Thinking about buying one.

Now that so many people mentioned Audeze LCD2s: Do you use the open or closed version? Thinking about buying one.
Open.

And I haven't tried the new versions, I have the original, made of rosewood.

It is strange that they name "Classic" the new and cheaper version of the LCD-2 made of plastic.

Their allegedly improved version of the LCD-2 is the Reference Series. but I don't know how it could be improved. I would love to compare them (without paying for it😅)

The first headphone they manufactured was the LCD-2, and it was not specifically marketed as reference headphone for studio. I believe that when they discovered that it really is, since it can faithfully substitute the studio monitors, they created a specific line based on the LCD-2 labeled as "Reference Series"

Audeze LCD-2 Vs Audio-Technica ATH-M50x.JPG

The so acclaimed Audiotechnica ATH-M50x that I've pictured above sounds artificial and congested compared with the LCD-2, and different to what you hear through the studio monitors

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom