Understanding the IIC+

Thank you Cliff! I always enjoy reading your in depth explanations.

I never got to play on a real IIC+ so before this I didn't know exactly how the different bright switches worked or sounded. I really have a better understanding of all the knobs now and pull switches that I am very pleased with. The different faceplates confused me as well as far as thinking the IIC+ had the Gain Boost on some models until I found out that was wrong last night. I hope this thread helps anyone else like me who enjoys this amp but didn't know enough about it having not played one before.

Oh, and I definitely never felt the need for additional gain :lol I get more than enough without even having to rely on a pedal to boost it. I was curious if it added any tone shaping, but I'm more excited to try the Pull Deep mode from the newly G3 modeled IIC+.

Does the Master Volume knob of the Axe FX modelize exactly the LEAD MASTER knob of the IIC+ ?

Thank you very much Cliff.

I wonder if the MASTER 1 is active in Lead mode : I assume it doesn't do anything when turning it. The MASTER 1 isn't modeled in the Axe anyway.

Thank you very much Cliff.

I wonder if the MASTER 1 is active in Lead mode : I assume it doesn't do anything when turning it. The MASTER 1 isn't modeled in the Axe anyway.

It is but they are simply cascaded. You're overthinking it. Master volumes are just a pot between the preamp and power amp. Sometimes they cascade a couple. There is no need to model both. The only reason you need two on a real amp is to balance the volume between channels.

Good times ahead methinks.

To be fair - even BETTER than good times ahead as we passed "good" years ago.

It is but they are simply cascaded. You're overthinking it. Master volumes are just a pot between the preamp and power amp. Sometimes they cascade a couple. There is no need to model both. The only reason you need two on a real amp is to balance the volume between channels.

Thank you for these explanations.

Cliff, You are awesome. Thank you for taking the time to share your wealth of knowledge. We're not worthy!

I'm starting to fall in love with this amp sim and can get great results, but would like to get a better knowledge foundation of it since it along with other Mesa amps can often be a real struggle to dial in.

One thing I would like to understand is about the Gain Boost on the real amp. The Wiki page says it is not modeled, but I notice a gain boost when using the fat switch on the sim and this seems to be common practice for Mark series users here as well. Is this a similar effect from the original? Is the Gain Boost on the real amp a simple increase in the input trim, and if so roughly how much would it be?

NatKingAlford, I don't know why I didn't think of posting this for you earlier (too busy being a smart-a$$ most likely :lol), but here's a great thread from "The Boogie Board" that is loaded with info on the IIc+:

The Boogie Board • View topic - Mark IIC+ - Guide for Dummies

Shredi beat me to it. I just came back here with the same link copied lol. It's a great informative post.

Sent from my iPad using Forum Runner

Back
Top Bottom