Understanding Power Tube Bias

@ Cliff,

Thank you for all these tech lessons! Very very much appreciated!!

In the Mark II or Mark III Simul-Class Power section.....

Randy Smith couples Class A and Class AB (Simul-Class)....
and wondering if these are exposed to the user.

Can we manipulate these parameters in the axe or is it all in the MIMIC process?

.........or is it just a matter of just manipulating the bias in those modes?

I like mine a little cold, which gives you a nice evil grind and best of all, crunch. Not Mesa cold, Marshall cold.:eagerness:
I always thought Boogies would sound so much better with an adjustable bias,
always too cold it seems, unless of course you turn them up to 8 or 9 and
get ready to bleed out of your ears, but enjoy doing it. So their the beauty lies.
Until of course, now you get can pull out your magic box and udjust the bias digitally and not
suffer from torturous DB's. I still like it every once and awhile,1/week,lol, but still, it so much fun
to have the ability to tweak all the components in the comfort of a set of headphones, or monitors.
Brilliant, I can't wait to try it! I've decided to go for the Axe-2, because my broken ass can't carry
anything anymore. Awesome for us old dudes, to be able to save our backs and not sacrifice tone!
Thanks for these awesome and spot on descriptions of staple tube amp functions and theory. Never hurts to learn!

Some amps (i.e. Boogies) are intentionally biased cold to avoid having to set the bias and thereby reducing maintenance and warranty costs.

Negative feedback around the power amp (Damping) further linearizes the power amp

That's why vintage mode orange channel of a dual rec has such tight smooth bass that makes people go 'WHY DID I NEVER USE THIS BEFORE?!?!' cold bias plus lots of headroom plus lots of negative feedback. It eats a DS-1 better than anything I've ever tried, they are made for each other, even color coded.

Back
Top Bottom