Undecided if the Axe FX II XL is for me

You of course know this,but just in case

Most after purchase worry's here , apart wrong setups and not RTFM , comes from Monitors.Crappy headphones deliver crappy sound,especially if you compare it to a tube amp running at stadium sound level

Roland

Since I got my Axe FX II XL, my Mark V and 5150III became 60lb. paperweights. Hence, I sold them! The flexibility you have with an Axe FX II rig just cannot be equaled. Perfect for live, perfect for recording, just perfect period!

I bought my Axe FX II and MFC III in November, and my Mesa Dual Rectifier and Line 6 POD X3 Pro has only come out of retirement when I have a guest musician who has not come with his rig... and now listening to the two side by side I see that I made the best investment ever ordering it! My EV-1 expression pedal arrives Tuesday!!! :)

I think success with the Fractal depends on:

1. A good monitoring solution.
2. How willing are you to put in some time to learn how to use it?
3. How adaptable to change are you?

For some folks, they just aren't suited to learning something new and don't bond with the Fractal. Typically they have playing a decent amount of time and are set in their ways with their analog rig. Nothing wrong with this! A piece of kit like the Fractal is not for everyone.

If you are willing to explore it and invest in a good monitoring solution, the Fractal really can replace your analog rig. With no compromises in tone or playability.

I went through an initial learning curve, during which, I just wasn't satisfied with the presets I was designing. I was chasing a tone that required a few "tricks" that nobody could teach me because nobody (but myself) knew what I was doing, or what I wanted. Little by little, I learned which AMPS and CABS go well together. Next I learned (some from all you guys) how to dial-in certain parameters that made a world of difference. All of the sudden…Ka-BOOM! My presets were blowing me away! Many of my presets don't even use much in the way of effects. I'm getting kick-ass tones from nothing but; COMP-AMP-CAB-DLY. All along, Cliff and the FAS team were cranking out FW after FW after FW, which added fuel to the fire. I'm LOVING this shit!! Man…my advice is STICK WITH IT !!!

It's not a tube amp. Not saying it's better or worse although IMO it's a little of both depending on the situation. If you have to sell your amps to fund this don't.. wait till you can own and live with both so you can see for yourself.

Well, I've said this before and I'll say it again and again, I sold every damn thing I owned. All my heads, cabs, effects, both racked and floored. My wife thinks I am lying when I tell her DAILY that I will never, ever have to buy anything else. This is a done deal for me, there is nothing better on the market, yet still will only get better with every upgrade. My tone has never been better, and I'm no longer pigeon holed into being a one or two tone wonder (comments I've had in the past), as there is no tone I CAN'T get. This is simply the best investment I've ever made in my 30 years as a professional musician. I too am a newbie, I have had the Axe for 8 weeks and I'll never go back, ever. It's perfect for the TV stuff I do. Combined with the Matrix amps and cabs, it's perfect for my live gigs. Did I mention it's.......... PERFECT? Ok, I'll get off my horse now.................

Had the Axe FxII for 1.5 yrs now and gigged with it all that time. Sold my Mesa 2:90, TC Electronics G Major 2 and my Engl preamp is on the market. My Fender Blues Delux amp is now my backup.

I am another user that bought with the same questions... I kept my amps for nearly a year before I decided to let them go because they were just collecting dust.

After 2 years and easily 100 gigs with the Axe FX II mkII in a direct to FOH setup, I am still more than satisfied with its performance, and tone.

That said, there is a learning curve, and it can be frustrating if you don't have an education or experience to understand what all the various parameters do.

I was very unsure myself when I was contemplating purchasing the AFX as to if it would really work for me. I have been playing tube heads for so many years and embraced the digital effects that I used in conjunction (Digitech 2112, TC G-Force) with my current tube amps, but any of the all-in-one units were a let-down for me, as they seem to have been with you as well.

I first took notice of the AFX when I saw how many influential players were incorporating it into their rigs (Vai, Petrucci, etc.). I don't choose gear based on what the pros use, but I do make note simply for the fact that it proves that a piece of gear may be tour-worthy and delivers quality that they can trust. After much thought, I decided to pull the trigger on the purchase.

Initially, I was very underwhelmed... but the more time I spent learning the ins/out of the unit, the better my tone. I've had my unit for a little while now and continue to experiment with it all the time. The one issue I still haven't resolved is my monitoring setup. I've tried FRFR, traditional cab and the mix/match of the two. I'm still struggling with the best way to translate the sounds coming from the AFX, but eventually I'm sure I'll find some happy medium. Overall, the AFX is an amazing tool that offers professional-level effects, great feel, great tones and truly bridges the gaps from live to studio... all in one magic box. It has significantly reduced the overall size/weight of my rig/pedalboard and has proven with the ongoing FW updates that FAS is truly a customer-care based company. Is it expensive? Yes. Is it worth the expense for everything that you can achieve with it? Absolutely!

I wish you luck on your decision, but can say what so many have already stated... the AFX is the best all-in-one unit that you can buy today and with the continuing FW updates, will be improving as time goes on, continuing to lead the industry as the #1 effects processor/amp simulation unit.

PS: Also, the resource of the forum is unlike any other. The members are SO helpful and truly will help you with any stumbling blocks you may have along the way. Without this forum, I would be nowhere near understanding the AFX, but they have helped tremendously. Thanks to you all!!

I was a very happy owner of a Johnson Millennium JM-150 (basically a 2 X 12 with SS power amp version of a Digitech 2101) for 12 years, but I felt limited by the fixed signal paths and dwindling number of replacement parts about 1.5 years ago. So I started researching replacements, single mfg tube amps were too limiting tonally, the Line 6 stuff didn't sound as good as my old technology, and the Eleven Rack was just missing the cojones. I tried the G-Force and again it was lacking something. I tried a bunch of the programs/plug-ins like Revalver and Guitar Rig, but I did not want have to lug around a laptop to jam.

An old school mate of mine, Chris Buono, highly recommended the Fractal as at the time he was just upgrading to the 2. We have similar ears for tone, but I was still scared not being able to go into a store and try it myself. I watched a bunch of Mark Day videos and harangued him for making such good videos, that he was going to cost me a lot of money.

I read the PDF manual and wiki. I realized that this box was the best solution for the sounds I heard in my head without spending at least $5K on a full blown Edge/Alex Lifeson style rack system.

So then I sold my old rig, a lot of vintage toys I had in storage, & I saved up and bought the AF2 in November of 2013. Without hyperbole, it is the best tone I have had in years. If I can envision the signal path in my brain, I can make it happen in the unit. If I hear something in my head and I woodshed at it, then I can make it happen.

I play more now than I ever have before thanks to having the total flexibility of playing through monitors or headphones plus all the signal routing. Every time I think it can't get better, another firmware comes out that just adds more treats and value to the unit.

After having the unit almost a year, a friend of mine got the Kemper as he wanted something that he could lazily just buy amps as he needed them and do no tweaking. It is a good sounding unit, but it is not as flexible as the Fractal IMHO if you are looking to get that 0.0005% close to the tones you hear in your head.

I would not hesitate to recommend the Fractal to anyone, friend or stranger.

Last edited:
If you are trying to replicate the experience of standing in a room with a cranked tube head and 4x12 cabinet, you might be disappointed depending on the monitoring solution you choose for the Axe. Getting the "amp in the room" feel takes work with the Axe and this can be very frustrating for those that are used to getting that experience easily from their physical tube amp rigs. You have to be willing to let go of a lot of your preconceived notions about how to get specific tones. It is definitely a paradigm shift.

If you are trying to replicate the tone of a mic'd or recorded tube amp and cab in a room, the Axe can accurately replace a truly astonishing amount of physical gear. For recording and going direct to FOH, the Axe II has no equal.

I waited one year to purchase my axe fx 2 from the time I first was looking into. I thought the same thing you did. I had previously owned a pod hd500 which sounded good but I could never get the bite and grit for solos. Always sounded digital. I then purchased my rig b4 the axe. A evh 5150 3 half Stack with 2 eventide h9 pedals. Sounded amazing. But me liking new gear I went ahead and bought the axe fx 2 and was so amazed I sold my other gear. And that was I think firmware 13 at the time. Believe me the only thing you will be thinking after your purchase is how mad you are at yourself for not doing it earlier!!!! The only time I will replace this axe fx is when cliff releases his next model!!!

Can anyone help me alleviate these concerns? I typically record these days and play many different types of music. I would like to play live and wonder if the Axe won't have shortcomings there. Help me pull the trigger or help me move on.

if it's at all possible.. try one.. then let your ears and feel decide..
it's not for everyone, but if it turns out that it's actually what you're looking for, you won't just like it, you'll adore it..

I've done all sorts with the Axe-II..
a funk album, a prog rock / metal album, film trailer music, gigged it.. and my students use it when I teach..
tones wise.. the Axe-II just refuses to fail at anything I try to get it to do.. it's simply that good..
for me personally, it's made all the other units I previously adored seem kinda pale..
there's just no going back now

i have been a huge proponent of tubes for a number of years, as many of us are/were. I really like what I know of the Axe Fx and I read up on it constantly and with great excitement.

However, I have been burned many times trying to find a tube replacement solution. From the Sansamp PSA1 to the Line 6 Pod 2.0 to the plugins of today. I have seen many promises that I will have unparalleled flexibility and incredible tone, only to be left holding a unit that depreciated in value so quickly that it wasn't worth flipping.

The Axe does appear to be different but I am always wary of getting back into digital. Obviously, times have changed since I had those original units. I don't want to be stuck holding onto this when a traditional rig is a known solution to my rig.

Can anyone help me alleviate these concerns? I typically record these days and play many different types of music. I would like to play live and wonder if the Axe won't have shortcomings there. Help me pull the trigger or help me move on.

Sounds like you need professional help more than you need an Axe FX.
With all your anxiety issues you'll never be happy with anything you buy.

the Axe-Fx has one major shortcoming: it is not a tube amp.

there are many who have tried the Axe and just can't get over this fact. no matter how it actually sounds, they can only say "but it's not a tube amp, it doesn't have tubes, therefore it doesn't sound as good as tubes."

and it will never sound exactly like a tube amp. simply because it is not. it is not a tube amp.

a fender strat is not a gibson 335. one will never sound like the other. i know people who will never play a strat simply because it doesn't sound like a 335. and that's ok.

is a tube amp a useable (some say amazing) tone generation device? yes.

is the Axe-Fx a usable (some say amazing) tone generation device? yes.

but only you can decide if you like something. if you really are a "proponent" for tube amps, you probably will not like the axe, based solely on the choice of using that word. unless you're using the wrong word.

Sounds like you need professional help more than you need an Axe FX.
With all your anxiety issues you'll never be happy with anything you buy.

You have no idea how right you are, in all seriousness. I take an anti-anxiety pill once a day. I started this thread AFTER I took the pill to give you an indication lol.

I think you guys are right. I think the Axe Fx II seems like the right decision for my needs. I think it is enough to cover the bases that I need, as well as provide a valuable tool for the studio I help run. We have a few tube heads and cabs, and I still have access to those. We have a few great plug-ins that work great. But we have NOTHING that is on the level of the AXE. FW18 sounds incredible and is just icing on the cake.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back
Top Bottom