Unbalanced Output 2

youngmic

Inspired
The powered speakers I'm currently using have this advice regarding system gain and level control (there are no level controls on the speaker):

"The sensitivity is designed to match with a wide range of professional line level audio equipment with nominal operating levels of 0 dBu (= 0.775 V). Consumer equipment has nominal operating levels of 8 dB to 10 dB below 0 dBu. If used with the latter equipment, it may not be possible to reach full output before clipping upstream equipment. In such cases, there are 3rd party devices available that can be inserted into the signal path to match the impedance and level between consumer and professional equipment."

If I read this right, both outputs (Output 1 at up to +18db, Output 2 at up to +12db) are more than capable of performing well within this context. Is this correct?

If I want to match the output from both, will running Output 2 through a passive DI makeup for the 6db difference with Output 1? Or do I need an active DI to achieve that? Is anyone doing either?

Thanks.

If I read this right, both outputs (Output 1 at up to +18db, Output 2 at up to +12db) are more than capable of performing well within this context. Is this correct?
Totally correct. What the quote is saying is that consumer equipment may not have enough output level to drive the speakers to full output. The Axe-FX, howerver, does have enough level.

If I want to match the output from both, will running Output 2 through a passive DI makeup for the 6db difference with Output 1? Or do I need an active DI to achieve that? Is anyone doing either?
If you want to match the levels of Output 1 and Output 2, just tweak the output knobs on the front of the Axe-FX.

Thanks Rex. For the sake of argument, if I did want to make up the 6db another way, would an active DI or would a passive DI suffice?

The unbalanced connections for output 1 are the same level as output 2.
A DI, active or passive, does not increase the level. If there is a change in level it will be down, not up (from line to microphone level) so no, a DI will not help, it'll make the difference bigger.

S.R.

Thanks Rex. For the sake of argument, if I did want to make up the 6db another way, would an active DI or would a passive DI suffice?

Turn up the global mixer volume by +6db on output 2 (provide that does not cause clipping).

For the sake of argument, if I did want to make up the 6db another way, would an active DI or would a passive DI suffice?
+1 on what the others said. Using external gear to set the levels would be like listening to your home stereo using a second preamp to set your left/right balance. It's added cost and complexity to duplicate controls you already have on your existing gear.

I'm not even sure there's any 6 dB difference to make up. That difference is based on maximum output levels, and doesn't say anything about how to adjust your knobs to achieve a certain level.

Back
Top Bottom