Unable to create default directory

randombastage

Experienced
I have moved from a MacBookPro to an iMac by using the Migration Assistant function of the Mac OS.

After doing so opening up Axe-Edit causes it to refresh its block definitions however it then pops the warning:
"Unable to create default directory: /Users/MacBookPro/Library/Application Support/Fractal Audio/Axe-Edit/
Permission denied "

Well there is no User named: MacBookPro on the iMac so I deleted the Axe-Edit app and reinstalled but the problem persists. So I renamed the Fractal folder in the Applications folder (so I could preserve my custom blocks, planning to copy them over from the renamed folder after the install was successful) and then I deleted the Axe-Edit app again...re-insstalled again...still the same problem of Axe-Edit looking and failing to find its apparent preference for a User named "MacBookPro".

So I created a folder in the Users folder named MacBookPro and started up Axe-Edit again and this time it refreshed the block definitions and was happy. Inside the new 'User' folder was the definitions cache file.

I guess I'll just watch that new 'User' folder to see what other software might be looking for it and not worry.

Or should I not have done that? Does anyone know where in the OS it is letting Axe-Edit think it should use the User: MacBookPro and how do I delete that incorrect preference?

Thanks!

I have the same problem, tried reinstalling, delete preferences, modified the workspace destination, it still looks for an older name I had for my home directory. I did the trick of the OP, but would be really interested to know what to do to assign Axe-edit to the right directory. Happened with my XL, Mac Os 10.12.6.

What's even weirder is that now it works after creating a folder with my old user name, but when I look at the workspace destination, it shows the new user name. Go figure.

Last edited:
I find it baffling that you can't chnage the default directory in settings. The old one doesn't exist yet it insists on using it? There has o be a plist file or something setting that. There is Axe-Edit.settings on mac.

Back
Top Bottom