Unable to Connect Axe-Fx 2 via USB to Macbook Pro

(ISSUE RESOLVED. DISREGARD THIS THREAD)

I'm posting this here because I'm not sure if this classifies as a bug or me just being technologically retarded as of lately.

I'm sure this question has been asked a million times, but I just don't know what to do. I cannot for the life of me get my Axe-FX 2 to connect to my Macbook Pro via USB. I downloaded and installed the driver, but Axe-Edit isn't recognizing my AxeFX II. When I am using Axe-Edit and I go to Settings > Midi Settings > Midi I/O, there is no option for AxeFX 2, but only <<none>>. I thought it was possibly something wrong with the driver, so I deleted it and reinstalled it. Multiple times. Still not working. Maybe the actual driver itself is bugged and needs to be patched? Maybe I need to put in some settings on my AFX2 as well?

According to the AxeEdit manual: "Axe-Edit requires that you connect your Axe-Fx to your computer. Axe-Fx II owners should download and install the Axe-Fx II USB driver for their operating system and verify that the Axe-Fx II is successfully connected to the computer via USB (see the driver documentation for more details)." How do I go about verifying that my Axe-Fx II is successfully connected to my computer via USB? Please help me, I'm completely lost.

This is getting really frustrating. I'm sure it has something to do with me, but I'm not sure what. I've had the thing for two days and have yet to play it :(

Thanks in advance.

Last edited:
Correction. Mine is working. Went to the MIDI setting, selected AXE for in and out, now it is all happy happy.

how old is your mbp? what series is it?

It's a 2009 MBP. Not sure what you mean by series but here's some info from About my Mac. 2.8 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo. Not sure if that helps. Oh yeah, I'm also running 10.5.8, if that matters. But I don't see how it should, it says anything 10.5.7+ is fine in the manual.

Last edited:
I am having similar issues, but with an few years older Power Mac G5 dual 2.0 w/USB 2.0 on 10.5.8 (about 4 months pre Intel) but I do note that the AXE II
OSx driver req's state "Intel". I am able to run and communicate with AXE-Edit but the MIDI and Audio setting don't see the AXE-FX II.

So, has anyone successfully made an AXE II to audio/midi connect with pre-intel G-5 ?? (I saw the same "Intel" requirement shown for Logic 9.0 , but installed it and am running it) I am running a lot of studio equipment on this G-5 and only the AXE-II has heartburn with it so far.

Yep, had this same issue. I kept re-installing the drivers, going to MIDI settings & checking, the AXE option finally showed up..
I also tried 5 USB cables including one that had previously worked, perhaps try another cable. ** Fix permissions & Restart the comp too ** -- It'll show up, you have the same guys who got mine working by osmosis ;-]

Yep, had this same issue. I kept re-installing the drivers, going to MIDI settings & checking, the AXE option finally showed up..
I also tried 5 USB cables including one that had previously worked, perhaps try another cable. ** Fix permissions & Restart the comp too ** -- It'll show up, you have the same guys who got mine working by osmosis ;-]

I tried reinstalling the drivers multiple times. In fact, i did it for hours last night. No luck. This is no fun. Also, this is the only USB cable I have. I guess i can buy another one but I highly doubt that's why.

As a test to help isolate the cause, bring up GarageBand. Within GB, bring up Preferences. Go to (I think it is?) I/O (don't have my MP with me). It will probably have the default Output for OUT and Microphone for IN. Click on the pull-down for either IN or OUT. You should see Axe-II listed. Of you do, the then problem is with Axe-edit.

I have an older MP (pre Snow Leapard) and it has been working.

I lost the drivers once before. And always loose them on 11rack. Open system presences and see if the device shows up. If not, restart the computer if it still doesn't re-install drivers. Still no dice? Get another uB cable.

Hmmm, that is interesting, because AXE-Edit still works perfectly with V1.0.261 on mt PPC box. It is the AXE-II -> MAC AUDIO/MIDI who isn't playing nice.
That is interesting because other PPC users have been complaining vehemently that it doesn't.

That is interesting because other PPC users have been complaining vehemently that it doesn't.

That sounds vaugley familiar:D

I can only connect via midi & so far I can only run a backup from the Axe to the computer. It either won't send data to the Axe (like firmware update) or the Axe won't accept or recognize data is coming in. No USB at all. I can update firmware with Snoise so it's not cables, setup, or midi interface issues.

kerrlehr, have you gotten it to work with USB & if so, how????

I sent Fractal Audio Support an email on January 10th, so I'm hoping they'll get back to me soon and help me fix it.

As a test to help isolate the cause, bring up GarageBand. Within GB, bring up Preferences. Go to (I think it is?) I/O (don't have my MP with me). It will probably have the default Output for OUT and Microphone for IN. Click on the pull-down for either IN or OUT. You should see Axe-II listed. Of you do, the then problem is with Axe-edit.

I have an older MP (pre Snow Leapard) and it has been working.

I'm going to try this right now. Thanks!

If you DO see it in GB, select it for your Input and leave output as Output. Then, in GB, create a new track and designate it for Real Instrument. Then, hit Record and play to your hearts content! Hope it works!

If you DO see it in GB, select it for your Input and leave output as Output. Then, in GB, create a new track andsee signage it for Real Instrument. Then, hit Record and play to your hearts content! Hope it works!

Sigh. No dice. Didn't work. I might cry, haha.

kerrlehr, have you gotten it to work with USB & if so, how????
The answer is both yes and no (but I am working and have done no more since my original post to this thread)

YES = I am able to use AXE-EDIT v1.0.261 on AX-FX v4.01 with no problems on PPC G-5 Dual 2.0.

NO = I am no seeing AXE-FX II in either Logic 9.0 or MIDI/AUDIO settings. The driver just does not seem to push it through???? (Which makes no sense to me) MIDO and AUDIO has worked fine on many many other studio pieces of gear. It has usb 2.0 why should the driver care what kind of chip set is on the MAC?

The answer is both yes and no (but I am working and have done no more since my original post to this thread)

YES = I am able to use AXE-EDIT v1.0.261 on AX-FX v4.01 with no problems on PPC G-5 Dual 2.0.

NO = I am no seeing AXE-FX II in either Logic 9.0 or MIDI/AUDIO settings. The driver just does not seem to push it through???? (Which makes no sense to me) MIDO and AUDIO has worked fine on many many other studio pieces of gear. It has usb 2.0 why should the driver care what kind of chip set is on the MAC?

What OS are you running on the G5? I have tried on a G4 & G5 with no luck. They are both 10.4.11 which according to the Axe manual should work.

I have 2 Macbook Pros, both Intel, one running Leopard and the other Snow Leopard and they both work with audio/midi for me. That doesn't necessarily help you, but at least you know it "should" work.

Back
Top Bottom