Unable to Browse for firmware *resolved*

Discussion in 'Fractal-Bot' started by dwmichaels, Nov 29, 2017.

1. dwmichaels

dwmichaels
    Expand Collapse
    Motivated

This just started happening around version 9.01 firmware timeframe. I thought that the midi used to add check marks, too, but it's been so long since I upgraded firmware, I don't remember.

Never had a problem with Fractal-Bot before. No errors, no issues installing/removing or with the Axe otherwise - drivers all seem to be recognized.

Windows 10.

upload_2017-11-29_23-23-11.png

2. paranoid

paranoid
    Expand Collapse
    Fractal Fanatic

Do you have the axe fx drivers loaded in your computer? your computer will not connect with out it. does your computer see the axe fx connected to the usb port?

3. Fabio KTG

Fabio KTG
    Expand Collapse
    Fractal Fanatic

Try unzipping the file first.

4. dwmichaels

dwmichaels
    Expand Collapse
    Motivated

Thanks guys - will check/try both. This *was* working. I didn't uninstall any drivers, but who knows, right? :)

AlGrenadine likes this.
  5. dwmichaels

dwmichaels
    Expand Collapse
    Motivated

okay - still not working. Have removed it, unzipped the file, ran the install as admin (just in case). No change. It is plugged into USB and when I turn it on, my PC is recognizing the unit as coming online. I can see it in the device manager.

Looking for new suggestions. Is there something specific that showing that "browse" in step 2 means? I thought #1 shows that my system has identified an AxeFx online. I would have thought that I could browse for a file whether I had an Axe online or not.

6. unix-guy

unix-guy
    Expand Collapse
    Fractal Fanatic

I'd suggest opening a support case...

7. paranoid

paranoid
    Expand Collapse
    Fractal Fanatic

step 2 is to search your computer for files, but your bot is not finishing the first step, so it will not browse. When mine connects, it will have three green check marks. alsoe the in and out will say usb instead of midi(IIRC).

8. dwmichaels

dwmichaels
    Expand Collapse
    Motivated

Thanks - I thought that I should have three green checks...

9. unix-guy

unix-guy
    Expand Collapse
    Fractal Fanatic

Did you try a different USB cable and port on your computer?

Did you try removing and reinstalling the Axe Fx driver?

10. dwmichaels

dwmichaels
    Expand Collapse
    Motivated

I did try removing/adding drivers again.

Support has recommended a new cable. Goofy, but I've seen it happen before, too. Thank you for the comments.

unix-guy likes this.
  11. dwmichaels

dwmichaels
    Expand Collapse
    Motivated

Removed all drivers & Fractal Bot from PC, installed them again and used a new USB cable.

Still not working. The device does appear to be recognized via USB though:
    upload_2017-12-2_14-43-41.png

12. dwmichaels

dwmichaels
    Expand Collapse
    Motivated

Feedback from support is that the problem is "It is the MIDI via USB that is the issue. It could be a USB port/cable issue or something in your system is stealing the midi (like a DAW or driver)."

I'll be poking around. I found in the recommended thread that NVIDIA installed some HD Audio drivers, I removed those, but no joy. I also have monitors with built-in speakers and something is clearly jacked up since when I reboot, my system is making them the default speaker instead of my normal speakers. Bottom line, some Windows hijackery to figure out.

13. dwmichaels

dwmichaels
    Expand Collapse
    Motivated

Well, I'll tell you, this is a nasty problem. I cleaned everything I could out of the system. No fractal anything, tried to just get MIDI to function with Midi-OX. Still getting same errors/same type of problem. All points to some sort of issue within Windows. After removing everything, I tried to reinstall an old driver (I think 1.50). That failed during install, so I installed the latest driver. That, too, produced an error after install.

I checked updates and found that I was due the Windows 10 creator update. I ran that, rebooted and when everything was back up, I opened Midi OX and turned on the Axe. It was found and drivers loaded. At that time, I was able to configure midi ox with the axe as midi in and midi out.

I installed Axe Edit and fired it up. Still showed disconnected though. I went into options and selected None for In and None for Out (both were pre-selected with the Axe). I changed it back to no Midi In and selected MS Wave as Midi Out. The program searched and produced an error. I then selected the Axe as In and Out and this time, it reached out to the Axe and connected. It gave me a message that it would do this when the Axe and Axe Edit did not match. After completing the update, it appeared just fine. I loaded Fractal Bot and it connected right away. I was able to download and install the latest firmware (9.02) through Fractal Bot with no issues.

All is well now, but that is a nasty problem and not at all specifically related to the Axe.

14. unix-guy

unix-guy
    Expand Collapse
    Fractal Fanatic

Glad it's fixed... By the way, 9.03 is now the latest FW :)