Unable to backup and sync on AXE II

sbanville

Hi All,
I'm pretty much a noob with the AXE FX II. Playing Tube amps all my life (39 years) I was reluctant, but I have to say, I love it, which brings me to this question. I recently updated to version 6.0 which sounds great, but when I tried to backup and sync my preset through Axe-Edit, the backup process seemed to hang at 1% completion. As a side note, this behavior also occurred with version 5.0.7 as well. I'm looking to find out if anyone else has seen this issue and under normal circumstances, how long should the process take?

I'm hoping this is not an issue with internal NVRAM.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Steve

Last edited:
Connected via USB? Do other axe edit functions work?

Try doing "Backup Bank A" or something like that in the Utility/Preset menu. This writes your presets to internal backup memory. Does this function work?

Sorry for the lack of data. Yes, I'm connected via USB and I have MIDI configured in my Axe-EDIT. I will try backing up through 'Utility/Preset tonight. All other functionality in the Axe-EDIT seems to work fine. For example I can change presets through Axe-edit and when I change presets on my MFC, the preset changes in Axe-edit as well. I upgraded my firmware through Axe-edit as well which was seamless. The only issue seems to be backup and sync.

I'm really concerned about a fundamental problem with my Axe FX.
There's likely nothing wrong with your Axe, so no need to panic.
1st things first... which AxeEdit ? 299 I hope. Earlier versions do not support v6 firmware.
You need 1.0.299 if you have v6 Axe-II firmware.

if you have 299, try selecting a Bank C preset, THEN doing the backup/sync. See if that works.
Try de-selecting the system backup or selecting a single bank to see what works and what doesn't.
Did not see this behavior in the release version of 299 during testing.

Also.. did you upgrade AxeEdit and create a new workspace for 299 or was it a fresh install ?

Also.. did you upgrade AxeEdit and create a new workspace for 299 or was it a fresh install ?

Can you tell me why that is relevant? I just reinstalled AxeEdit 299 over the older version - I didn't do anything with workspaces. Should I have uninstalled the whole thing, removed previous workspaces, and then installed from scratch? I can do that now if it'll save me headaches later on . . .

Can you tell me why that is relevant? I just reinstalled AxeEdit 299 over the older version - I didn't do anything with workspaces. Should I have uninstalled the whole thing, removed previous workspaces, and then installed from scratch? I can do that now if it'll save me headaches later on . . .

I am having the same issues, can't access any patch in my axe-fx. I can open local patches and save them to the axe, but not the other way.

I did the workspace "trick" but its still the same. I would love to backup some patches i made since firm 6 came out.

Tomorrow i will try again in another computer with a clean installation.

Cheers.

I'm also on a Mac, FW6/AE299, connected via USB, and I have had problems downloading System Backup since moving to this version. The "Bank Transfer in Progess" bar completes on the AxeFX, but the progress bar on AE usually stalls at around 86 or 87%. Same failure whether I do everything at once or just do the System. I have gotten the System alone to work once, so it's not totally broken.

I am pretty new and dont know 1% of what s0c9 does but a poster gave me this awhile ago and it works for me fast and easy. I have windoes so I dont know if that changes anything. Good Luck.

yesfan, I think using the C6 MIDI Filer is by far the simplest approach. Here is a step by step guide.

(1) Download the C6 MIDI Filer here: http://www.elektron.se/sites/default...6_XP_v1.4D.zip
(2) The application is a single .exe, so double click c6.exe. A simple window appears with a row of buttons such as "Send", "Receive" etc.
(3) Select the "Configure" button.
(4) Select "Axe FX II MIDI Out" in the "MIDI IN" box and "Axe FX II MIDI In" in the "MIDI OUT" box. Select OK to return to the main screen.
(5) Click the "Send" button and select the .syx file that you want to upload to the Axe Fx.
(6) A progress bar at the bottom of the C6 window displays the upload status.

That's it!! Note that in step 5 you can choose to send an individual preset or a full bank of presets. Be careful here, since if you send a bank, then all of your presets will be overwritten without warning. When sending a single preset, it is only auditioned on the Axe Fx and you will need to manually hit the "Store" button on the Axe Fx to make the upload permanent.

I changed the name of several factory presets in each bank on the Axe FX II prior to uploading the new banks, just so that I could be sure they were really changed. Hope this helps and good luck!

I'm also on a Mac, FW6/AE299, connected via USB, and I have had problems downloading System Backup since moving to this version. The "Bank Transfer in Progess" bar completes on the AxeFX, but the progress bar on AE usually stalls at around 86 or 87%. Same failure whether I do everything at once or just do the System. I have gotten the System alone to work once, so it's not totally broken.
Well Lynn, I know you are no beginner, so it would appear to be a definite issue. I can't replicate those issues (win7x64, XP32, Xp64), and none of the Beta team encountered them during testing. Need to have someone on the Beta team duplicate the issue and open a bug on it, as I'm not a Mac guy.

Perhaps killing AE, then going into the \Workspace\Axefx\BankA-C folders and deleting the .syx files, then checking permissions on those locations might help ?

Sorry if this is kinda off topic but Is there a way to downgrade to 5.07? I want to do some comparisons with my presets made on 5.07. Is there a link to the firmware as well?

Thanks everyone for the responses. I am going to try this again tonight based on suggestions from this thread.

Hi All,
I'm pretty much a noob with the AXE FX II. Playing Tube amps all my life (39 years) I was reluctant, but I have to say, I love it, which brings me to this question. I recently updated to version 6.0 which sounds great, but when I tried to backup and sync my preset through Axe-Edit, the backup process seemed to hang at 1% completion. As a side note, this behavior also occurred with version 5.0.7 as well. I'm looking to find out if anyone else has seen this issue and under normal circumstances, how long should the process take?

I'm hoping this is not an issue with internal NVRAM.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Steve

I've had this problem on 5.07 for months and have issues with AE to the point where I haven't used it for that long as well. I've been hoping the new S/W updates would fix all my issues but it looks like this one may still be around (at least for some folks). I've been holding off on upgrading the Axe, AE, or MFC until the communitye generally appear to be happy with the stability. I will upgrade soon and just hope that the issue your reporting (which I have on 5.07) goes away and I can get back to using AE.

Hey folks! May I have found a solution for this. I had the same problem (couldn's sync anymore / hanging at 2 %) and struggled with it for weeks and weeks.

My SOLUTION: Just go to the I/O Button on the Axe FX II > MIDI > USB ADAPTER MODE > Turn it "OFF"!!!

Once I did that everything was fine again and syncing / backup worked again!

Best regards from Germany

v7.0, AE v1.0.317 Windows XP, Sync and Backup lock my computer up every time. I tried USB Adapter mode on and off, same results. Ideas?

Well Lynn, I know you are no beginner, so it would appear to be a definite issue. I can't replicate those issues (win7x64, XP32, Xp64), and none of the Beta team encountered them during testing. Need to have someone on the Beta team duplicate the issue and open a bug on it, as I'm not a Mac guy.

Perhaps killing AE, then going into the \Workspace\Axefx\BankA-C folders and deleting the .syx files, then checking permissions on those locations might help ?

Not sure it is a Mac problem. I am using pc windows and have the same problem. Have been unable to sync presets since upgrade to 7.00.

Hi there
I had the same 2% problem
What worked for me was to go in the midi settings of the Axe-edit, Poll, and to declick "Sync tempo interval to Axe-fx II"
Seems like the communication of tempo is an issue while backing up
Hope it helps

Back
Top Bottom