Ultrarez Ownhammers shallow around 500hz?

solo-act

Fractal Fanatic
I bought OH packs when they came out. All but two were unusable because midrange punch was too shallow vs. Fractal mix cabs which sat way better in a live mix without needing any EQ.

The 10 OH Ultrarez are really nice, more dynamic, full and musical so I've been swapping them out, but they're still shallow around 500hz-1k.

Anyone else noticing this?

To fix I'm either bumping up 500 & 1k about 1-2db or using the RE16 to bring it out, but the mic fix only works on a few cans. If the Ownhammers that previously didn't work are this good, the FA mix cabs will be killer when they finally come out.

I actually found the factory Fractal mixes to be on the dark side and the OH mixes to have a clarity that I enjoyed. I think they are simply different expressions. One or the other may better suite a particular individual, guitar, project, etc.

Terry.

I actually found the factory Fractal mixes to be on the dark side and the OH mixes to have a clarity that I enjoyed. I think they are simply different expressions. One or the other may better suite a particular individual, guitar, project, etc.

Terry.

I totally agree with Terry / Tone Seeker

I always start from scratch auditioning new Irs with an amp at default and a cab ... Maybe sometimes a drive if I'm searching for something particularly pushed

I don't trust even in my ears auditioning a new Ir in a patch already tweaked and designed to suit the current Ir loaded ...

Maybe was this the case?

Which two from Pack 3 did you find to be usable?

I found all 10 UltraRes IR samples in the FW13 folder to be exceptional , especially the 1st and 9th samples.

I also found that it became exponentially easier for me to further tweak amp presets to my liking due to the improved resolution and clarity of UltraRes.

So you are getting lost in the "live mix" - can you describe the mix?

Does "bumping up 500 & 1k about 1-2db" get you there?

I don't know the shallowness or lacking frequencywise, but as much as I liked the high end clarity, I didn't like low end. It was kind of lacking.
I always used the mix IR's until today. When I first installed fw13, it was much of an improvement, but later i found it lacking again, I really like the fractal IR's more and more.
But I discovered something today. I suggest you to try the H-RI-55 R121 (0db) + H-RI-55 Room (-20db). I really liked it, found it thicker, and it did not have the exaggerated bump around 110Hz while it still had a powerful low end.
Now I will try the same recipe with the v30 speaker IR's.

Edit: I just want to make something clear about that 110Hz bump. I'm experiencing it more while playing with speakers than headphones. And my room is far from ideal. Beside that, more or less, I experience this with almost every cab. Not something about Ownhammer only, just on the mix IR's it is a little bit more.

Last edited:

I found all 10 UltraRes IR samples in the FW13 folder to be exceptional , especially the 1st and 9th samples.

I also found that it became exponentially easier for me to further tweak amp presets to my liking due to the improved resolution and clarity of UltraRes.

So you are getting lost in the "live mix" - can you describe the mix?

Does "bumping up 500 & 1k about 1-2db" get you there?

I also liked the 1st and 9th sample best for my existing presets as I felt the midrange was better. After loading all of my user slots with the Cab Pack 3 ultrares files, I have found myself using the 1x12 cabs on almost every preset. Again, the midrange is more forward and the lows tighter and they seem to sit in the mix better. I still think the ultrares sound better overall with my presets than any of the normal res cabs. Just my take on what I have learned so far.

I play a Tyler classic with low gain vintage single coils and low gain PAF bucker in the bridge. It could be easily be pickups, but with FA mix cabs my amp GEQ has pretty much flat, no tweaks needed. If I had higher output, midrange-heavy pickups, FA mix cabs might be too much mids/low-mids. Could easily be pickups.

You're talking about mix or single mic Ir ?
All but two of the pre-UR Ownhammers, and most of the 10 new UR Ownhammers.

I don't trust even in my ears auditioning a new Ir in a patch already tweaked and designed to suit the current Ir loaded ...

Maybe was this the case?
My pre-Ultrarez cabs sounded fine with flat GEQ and nothing special on bass, mid, treble. Most were FA mixed cabs. The Ownhammers, including the new ones have less midrange content around 500-1000hz, but they're so killer I'm swapping them in. I've just noticed this trend from cab to cab, patch to patch when the guitar is inside a mix.

From the "old" pre-UR Ownhammers, I used the MAR-CB-ALN blue & silver (mix) together with an AC 30. Really good.

So you are getting lost in the "live mix" - can you describe the mix? Does "bumping up 500 & 1k about 1-2db" get you there?
Lost isn't quite right. It's there, but isn't filling the mix at around 500hz like the FA mix cabs do (for my guitar/pickups). The "live mix" are backing tracks I've recorded, everything from sparse stuff to packed mixes, all arranged/mixed with space for the axe-fx. Here's an example w/ crappy iPhone audio: Eric Lane | Party Girl mix - YouTube

Don't get me wrong, the Ultrarez lows/highs/dynamics are sweet, but if I A/B closely to tone in original cover tune recordings and my pre-UR patches, there's a pretty consistent "shallowness' in the OH UR at 500-1000hz.

Bumping the GEQ solves it, but only in the way a GEQ does, which is good, but not great. And I've been too lazy to add PEQ block and mess with that. I prefer cabs that work with minimal compensation.

I'm looking forward to the new FA ultrarez producer mix cabs. I think they'll be extremely plug&play, just like the old ones.

Of the new UR 1x12, I've used the pre-rola the most.
Of the 4X12, I've used Pre-rola the most as well.

The iPad editor doesn't show the whole cab name so those trends are blind cab-switching. Interesting that I gravitate to the pre-rola.

I'm using the 4X12 Fane and 1x12 Jenson as well and the 2x12 when it works.

I don't know the shallowness or lacking frequencywise, but as much as I liked the high end clarity, I didn't like low end. It was kind of lacking.
I always used the mix IR's until today. When I first installed fw13, it was much of an improvement, but later i found it lacking again, I really like the fractal IR's more and more.
But I discovered something today. I suggest you to try the H-RI-55 R121 (0db) + H-RI-55 Room (-20db). I really liked it, found it thicker, and it did not have the exaggerated bump around 110Hz while it still had a powerful low end.
Now I will try the same recipe with the v30 speaker IR's.

Edit: I just want to make something clear about that 110Hz bump. I'm experiencing it more while playing with speakers than headphones. And my room is far from ideal. Beside that, more or less, I experience this with almost every cab. Not something about Ownhammer only, just on the mix IR's it is a little bit more.

Id say you have a 110 Hz bump in your room acoustics for sure!

Of the new UR 1x12, I've used the pre-rola the most.
Of the 4X12, I've used Pre-rola the most as well.

The iPad editor doesn't show the whole cab name so those trends are blind cab-switching. Interesting that I gravitate to the pre-rola.

I'm using the 4X12 Fane and 1x12 Jenson as well and the 2x12 when it works.

Love those Jensens too. Keep us posted after you try the rest of the OH UltraRez Cab Pack IRs (assuming you do so) and good luck. :encouragement:

that 125H "boom" is actually more common than you think.
I've seen it with a real Jvm and a real JMP-1 going into a basketweave 4X12
on my Marshall based patches I usually cut that by 1.8 or so.

Would be good if Cab Lab included a frequency reponse chart to confirm and clarify what we think we hear.

The previous 3rd party utility had that, and I found it helpful mixing cabs to complement each other.

Maybe we could make it a wishlist item?

Last edited:
Would be good if Cab Lab included a frequency reponse chart to confirm and clarify what we think we hear.

The previous 3rd party utility had that, and I found it helpful mixing cabs to complement each other.

Maybe we could make it a wishlist item?

I asked for this when Cab Lab was first released and a few times since. M@tt said that the GUI had been thought of already and things were in place to possibly implement it in the future.

I agree with soloact, while the 10sample IR's do sound great there is some beef missing from them in the mids for me.

I don't see any problem in that region of frequenzy in Ownhammer impulses, in my stuff (metal mostly), i find myself to carve out that area a bit (more closer to 300hz though). Never, ever boosting that.
I'm still waiting to find that "OH HELL YEAH" impulse to provide me all the depth and clarity without having that annoying FIZZ or supersonic BOOM on the low end, that's gonna stick there even when hipassing, lowpassing or taking the 5k of the basic marshall cab factor out. Ownhammers has provided the best results for that, still, im a bitch about impulses and ain't never really satisfied, A BURRRRRDEN! :D

Back
Top Bottom