Implemented UltraRes support for Cab Block

TheTrueZoltan!

Inspired
I’m kinda surprised that it hasn‘t already been asked in this forum although it has been mentioned a couple of times in the regular FM3 Discussion forum...

UltraRes support for the FM3 Cab Block, pretty please! 🙏

Last edited:
What will be the big difference if Utra Res is imported ?
I mean will all the Artists presets, retail Presets sound different ?? And need to be re done ?

Even AX8 had UltraCab support. 😒

Ultrares on AX8 was running into some sort of CPU accelerator IIRC. Maybe they want to avoid that in the FM3 in order to optimize resources, that's why they are still working on it.

Sure it won't harm to have a Wish thread for it, but it was stated since day one it was on the "to do list'.

Even AX8 had UltraCab support. 😒
Regarding the last firmware I'm actually to convince if ultrares will apport really that much. IMHO it has actually become a nice to have option. BTW it has been asked already a few times and yek just confirmed that you would not have to change all patches. But in case Ultrares eat up much CPU capacity "better" could become the enemy of "great" 😉. But of course it would be fine to have the choice. If I remember well in axe fx 2 we even won 1 or 2 pct compared to normal res, not sure about that.
Profiting of a few holidays and spending quite some time with the FM3 I can't frankly say I'm missing Ultrares today.

The names UltraRes and Normal Res can be a little misleading I think. AFAIK, there's no actual resolution difference between them. They are both sampled at 48 kHz, 24 bit. The difference is in their length. UltraRes IRs can be up to 8000 samples or about 166 milliseconds long. Normal Res IRs are up to 1024 samples or about 21 ms long. The FM3 truncates UltraRes IR's, so it only uses the first 1024 samples of them. Those 1024 samples are identical to those of the full length version though.

The benefit of those additional samples depends entirely on the particular IR. Many IR's don't contain any significant amount of data beyond the first 1024 samples, so the benefit of UltraRes on those would be small if any. The extra length can be useful for more resonant or longer ringing cabs and for including a bit of room reflections in things like distant mic IRs. Again, whether or not that is a good thing depends entirely on the cab and what kind of tone you're trying to dial in. If you're going for a super tight metal rhythm tone, that extra resonance might be unwanted and you can sometimes actually benefit from shortening the length of UltraRes IRs to make them sound a little tighter, especially in the low end.

Thanks for the detailed reply @Mr-fender.

I was going to play with some of these far field IR’s as some stated these can be more AITR like.......may not be worth it while truncated it seems .......

Wow I had no idea they were truncated to 1024 so that would explain a lot. I think it should be at least 2048 if you ask me. 1024 is a little too low which explains why the ML Sound Lab irs I’ve been using don’t sound as good compared to using them in a DAW.

You get aitr only with a real guitar speaker in a cab direct at your feet. Any IIT including a mic will be different and limiting. Personally I don't bother and get my kicks as is. Note : playing around with ADSR on reverb early reflections can give impressive results though. Also you have the room parameter in the cab block but it's not so strong. Used to do this using the standard adsr reverb forms with Digitech LE2101 on their Bigverb block and that worked really killer for rock'n'roll roll in bars, much better than a slap delay. But I was much younger in my dutch days then..

Otoh; don't worry, you'll be having great sounds from your engine. There's a lot of real tube amp fetishists in the world and very often I've got the impression of reading audiophile type discussions on the web in that regard, from guys that wouldn't stand a blind test for 10 seconds. I left tube amps in 2012, and don't regret that choice from any point of view.

Even if the ULtra Res IR would require more CPU, would be nice to have the option of letting the user choose between truncated and UR depending on the presets..... same as the Reverb block.....

I would more than welcome that 😀😀😀🙏🏼🙏🏼🙏🏼🙏🏼

The names UltraRes and Normal Res can be a little misleading I think. AFAIK, there's no actual resolution difference between them. They are both sampled at 48 kHz, 24 bit. The difference is in their length. UltraRes IRs can be up to 8000 samples or about 166 milliseconds long. Normal Res IRs are up to 1024 samples or about 21 ms long. The FM3 truncates UltraRes IR's, so it only uses the first 1024 samples of them. Those 1024 samples are identical to those of the full length version though.

The benefit of those additional samples depends entirely on the particular IR. Many IR's don't contain any significant amount of data beyond the first 1024 samples, so the benefit of UltraRes on those would be small if any. The extra length can be useful for more resonant or longer ringing cabs and for including a bit of room reflections in things like distant mic IRs. Again, whether or not that is a good thing depends entirely on the cab and what kind of tone you're trying to dial in. If you're going for a super tight metal rhythm tone, that extra resonance might be unwanted and you can sometimes actually benefit from shortening the length of UltraRes IRs to make them sound a little tighter, especially in the low end.
Great explanation!

Thank you!

Back
Top Bottom