UltraRes factory cabs?

AZG

Experienced
I know currently the factory cabinets are not UltraRes, will they be replaced in the future with UltraRes versions?

I've asked this question as well. Hopefully when they hit the studio we will get all new stock cabs.
Seems pretty silly to have UltraRes, but none of the stock cabs benefit from it.

Depends on just how much work is involved and time restraints. I will say that after buying the new UltraRes pack 3 and hearing it in my own small studio, I wouldn't mind even "paying" to have all my old ones replaced now.

Dunno if possible but obviously would be great for the axe to make all factory cabs ultrares

One obstacle is that the sound of everyone's presets change if the stock cabs change, which tends to cause a lot of short term complaining.

I'm all for it however!

If the Axe has more room to add factory cabs, they might be able to just add a bunch of new ones and keep all the old ones.

One obstacle is that the sound of everyone's presets change if the stock cabs change, which tends to cause a lot of short term complaining.

I'm all for it however!

If the Axe has more room to add factory cabs, they might be able to just add a bunch of new ones and keep all the old ones.

Good points. Let's hope for them tacking some UR cabs at the end of the current ones.

I would like to see all factory cabs replaced with UR if they are really better. Offer all the old low res ones as a download for the user slots to reduce complaining.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It would be nice if the current factory cabs could be available in Ultra Rez but that's not going to happen as Cliff has said the captures are too short. He also said they are planning to go back into the studio & capture new IRs which will be Ultra Rez. It's hard to make things forward compatible when you had no idea what was in the future at the time the original cabs were captured.

I don't see UltraRes as the typical firmware update. The capability is being provided for free, but the IR's have for the most part been on the user to acquire through other parties. I'm not really sure if this is something that FAS is compelled to supply because it goes above and beyond the original scope of the product and the addition of it does not detract from the function of the device; it simply enhances it at the discretion of the user.

I just don't see the advantage or need to do it from Fractal's perspective. Would it be nice? Sure. But they gave 10 freebies to try it out and the user can decide what they buy and whether they want to use them.

I don't see UltraRes as the typical firmware update. The capability is being provided for free, but the IR's have for the most part been on the user to acquire through other parties. I'm not really sure if this is something that FAS is compelled to supply because it goes above and beyond the original scope of the product and the addition of it does not detract from the function of the device; it simply enhances it at the discretion of the user. I just don't see the advantage or need to do it from Fractal's perspective. Would it be nice? Sure. But they gave 10 freebies to try it out and the user can decide what they buy and whether they want to use them.

I dunno... Seems like in the past Cliff has always tried to include a representation of some of the best available IRs as stock IRs. Like when the II came out he had some of the most popular OH and RW on board from the start. Then when they did the first studio capture session (to make the first fas cab packs), the next FW included a bunch of the best 'mix' IRs from those sessions.

I dunno... Seems like in the past Cliff has always tried to include a representation of some of the best available IRs as stock IRs. Like when the II came out he had some of the most popular OH and RW on board from the start. Then when they did the first studio capture session (to make the first fas cab packs), the next FW included a bunch of the best 'mix' IRs from those sessions.

Cliff is running a business and has developed new IR technology, I wouldn't hand out all of that for free. That would be foolish. We are lucky to have this stuff available to use in our Axe II's.

Last edited:
Reactions: ALE
It would seem really strange to me to sell a $2200 product and not include all the pieces needed to show its full potential. Factory presets using UR cabs are part of that equation IMO.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

As it has been stated, the stock IRs were shot too short to be useful for UltraRes. Remember, folks, that this advancement was really not foreseen by anybody at FAS and was really done on a whim after impulse response capture started getting more advanced - pretty much because of Kevin at Ownhammer and also FAS studio sessions. I can't remember which came first though - chicken or the egg stuff at this point.

There are loads of people who use the stock IRs, and for that reason alone I can't see FAS going back and shooting all of the IRs over again. Additionally, it looks like the redwirez IRs are too short to be effective as UltraRes IRs and there's nothing that Fractal can do about it. So I imagine that even IF they do release some of the stock IRs as UltraRes, if you won't have to outright pay for them they'll still be optional to be loaded in user slots. Perhaps with the Axe-fx II XL coming out, part of the incentive will be additional factory slots that come prepped with UltraRes files, but aren't we at a maximum for factory cab slots in the Axe-fx II (regular) at this point now?

Some of the cabs available on AxeChange are really quite good! I have about 8 of them that I just can't live without. I'm wishing for a process (even at cost) to convert them to UltraRes.
I don't see how that's possible though. It would seem to me that UltraRes products would have to be born in a studio, (using a different process) rather than re-processing an existing audio file.

I feel that Ultra Res if avaible in the future will be part of newer pack ... for user cab purpose ... I think the stock remain the same VERY GOOD Hires .

Back
Top Bottom