Ultra won't connect to Axe Edit

Mendes

Hey guys, just got my ultra a couple of weeks ago and I still can't use axe edit because it says the axe fx isn't connected, I know this is a common problem and I've looked into a lot of threads about it but I still could'nt fix it. The ultra is connected directly to the pc through a midi/usb cable (the previous owner connected it this way and it worked), I also saw some stuff about the need to install midi drivers but I don't know which ones and if it's only for the axe fx II or not. Help would be appreciated :-|

It's possible that a driver needs to be installed for the MIDI/USB cable.

What operating system? Which version of Axe-Edit did you install? Do the MIDI ports appear in Axe-Edit's MIDI settings menu? If so, have you tried swapping the in & out connections?

What Zelman said. You have to use a particular version of AE with the Ultra. All the new ones are for the Axe II.

Bakerman I think I need a driver too but since the cable has no brand how do I go about installing the correct driver? I'm using windows 7, axe edit 1.0.191 (same version the previous owner had and it worked), and yes the MIDI ports appear in the settings but there's only one input option.

Zelman I installed it but it's the same, the only difference is that the two MIDI yellow lights in axe edit are blinking, don't know what that means though.
It looks like this:

Attachments

• Sem Título.jpg
    Sem Título.jpg
    83.6 KB · Views: 20
If you're seeing MIDI indicators blinking, the interface may not need a driver installed. Try the "USB2.0-MIDI" output port option above the one you have selected there. Also make sure you used the MIDI IN and OUT ports on the Axe-FX, not the THRU port.

If it doesn't work yet, could you check which firmware version is on the Axe-FX? It will be displayed at boot time, or you can page right in the Utility menu to find it.

I've tried with all the output options and it doesn't work, yeah its connected to MIDI in and out and its firmware version 11.00

Also I just clicked on "tuner" on axe edit and it changed to tuner on the axe fx screen, doesn't this imply it is connected?

Last edited:
Tuner appearing means a short command (3 bytes) works from computer to Axe-FX, at least. Did Axe-Edit show any movement on its tuner display? I'm guessing not if it said not connected.

One thing you could try is monitoring data received when AE starts and the I/O indicators blink. Run a program like SendSX (link below) and select the interface's MIDI In port. It might turn out that longer messages are being corrupted.

Bome's Send SX - Bome Software - Freeware for sending and receiving any MIDI messages

Back
Top Bottom