Ultra to Axe II. The good, bad and ....

Hey guys, I received my A2 yesterday.

Brief history: I'v been an Ultra user for yrs. (Its THE reason I'm playing - too sound stellar!!) I did just change my acct. since I wanted a new user name...I'd had 250+ posts tho. And had read almost everyone else's. I have been lucky to find & test all the presets people made over the years...and tweak or use as is. I have a deep collection of many varied Rock classic tones. Even the special fx ones.

I wanted to hear how much the new unit has improved. And had planned to test them side-by-side, with a Y cable into each Axe. Then I'd bypass the one, not listening too at the moment.
Guess what? I didnt even turn on my Ultra! Just the bassman 59/1st preset had some "fun" to it. So I went thru them all. I could tell the amps were ALIVE...sometimes monsterous! That was yesterday.

Today, I knew I had to test Ultra presets into the A2 (exact signal chain, settings etc)...done maually. With my main goal to have BETTER tones w/ the Ultra presets. So I took a simpler one: EVH's Jamies Cryin, the rhythm tone. Guess what, now?? A DUD !!
SOOOOO different, not in a good way. Ultra has it so sweet & thick w/ balls. A2 = a DUD Zippo, like the sound of the A2 bypassed!

I'd asked questions recently, about Ultra presets into the A2...most said: not gonna be the same. But why? What have we/you learned technically, of why the presets dont match up??

Thanks

Last edited:
Just a different ballgame. modeling is more accurate, warts and all... tapers change on pots, all kinds of things... use your ears.

too much has changed to ever expect to just port a preset in from a standard or ultra. start from scratch and you'll make one that smokes it.

I had exactly the same experience when I went from the Ultra to the 2. My Ultra presets were amazing, but the same amps/presets in the 2 were just not as good. I tried different amps and settings and ended up with something that was far better that what I had. It took a while, but in the end it was worth it. You just have to start from scratch, work with the 2 until you have amazing tone again, and THEN a/b it with the ultra.

Thanks markyd.....I will do that. Part of my posting was to get it off my chest.

Ya know, I did a/b the Farfegnugen factory preset on both the Ultra & A2. The A2 is better & brighter, more alive. So that is a case where its not a DRASTIC diff, like I had. I may need to try more of my old into the A2, just to prove none will work.

If I can't get satisfaction w/ them in the A2, I do have them in the Ultra. They are my Classic Metal & Hair Band tones...and my favorite presets ~

Back
Top Bottom