Ultra Through a Mesa Mark V 25??

Izzwardo

Inspired
Hey all I have a question. I have a Mesa Boogie Mark V:25 and a Mesa Boogie 2x12 Rectifier cabinet. I just acquired a Axe Fx Ultra and I am wondering how that is going to work through the effects loop on that amp. Would it sound ok or is it better to run through a power amp instead? I generally play with a band once a week and it would be nice to utilize the Axe FX with my band. Thanks for the help!

I started my AFX journey about 3-4 months ago. I came from a Mesa Mark V and 1x12 Mesa widebody cab. I used the Mesa's power amp section only like it sounds like you plan on doing. It sounded amazing.

I quickly found that even though everything sounded great, it sounded a little Mesa tinged. I switched to FRFR very quickly as I use the AFX for my personal amusement only. I treat it like an amazing interactive amp and effect history book, so my needs are different from a professional musician.

If you're looking for your "tone" you can definitely use the tube amp in conjunction with the AFX. If you want to explore all of the amp models as they were intended to sound, then FRFR might be something to look into.

You could have the best of both worlds, your Mesa for your live sound, and a nice pair of studio monitors for simply enjoying everything else the box has to offer.

Edit: I have a AFX XL, which I believe had some upgrades to the AD/DA for the FX loop. The Ultra I don't think the Ultra has the upgraded electronics.

Back
Top Bottom