Ultra still is Ultra.

Chris Hurley

Power User
I was thinking about this again today having recently bought another used Axe-FX Ultra. I've owned both the Axe-FX II and Axe-FX Ultra multiple times in the past- sometimes at the same time. While the Axe-FX II has a TON of really useful new features, tweaks and capabilities along with progressively more and more authentic modelling technology, the Ultra still holds up.

It sounds great.
It feels great.
It has a ton of tone-shaping/bending tools that you can route in amazing ways.

For me, this was like buying a great used car. There are newer cars out there but this one does a great job and fits my budget.

Thank you for this post because I'm buying an Ultra next week and I'm sooooo nervous because it will be my first Fractal Audio unit. :)

Any extra info about your experience? :D

Thank you for this post because I'm buying an Ultra next week and I'm sooooo nervous because it will be my first Fractal Audio unit. :)

Any extra info about your experience? :D
It took me a little bit of tweaking but I loved my ultra when I had it , don't be nervous, just dive in and tweak like hell. That's how you will learn, learn to tweak with the front panel

It took me a little bit of tweaking but I loved my ultra when I had it , don't be nervous, just dive in and tweak like hell. That's how you will learn, learn to tweak with the front panel

Thanks a lot for the advice!! I sold all of my equipment in order to afford it,so I'm kinda scared :p

I'm planning on tweaking and experementing with it 2-3 monts before I gig with Ultra,on PAs. :)

What sort of extra info would be useful?

Mostly,why did you choose it over the Axe Fx II? Only financial reasons?

Thanks a lot for the advice!! I sold all of my equipment in order to afford it,so I'm kinda scared :p

I'm planning on tweaking and experementing with it 2-3 monts before I gig with Ultra,on PAs. :)

I did the same, sold all my gear for an axe ultra. that was over 2 years ago just before the release of the axe 2. I still dig the ultra and play it often and have not went back to tubes.

I just bought back my Ultra from the country picker I sold it to. He toured it for a year. When he dropped it off, it was covered in duct tape - and I mean covered. He told me why but, for the life of me, I have no idea. I think I was too busy thinking WTF to tune in to the story. Anyway, a gallon of Goo-Be-Gone later, it's looking like new and still sounds like a million $$$. I retired it to the recording desk. If I didn't have the II, I would have no problem gigging the Ultra tomorrow. Phenomenal.

I did the same, sold all my gear for an axe ultra. that was over 2 years ago just before the release of the axe 2. I still dig the ultra and play it often and have not went back to tubes.

That's encouraging! :)

I just bought back my Ultra from the country picker I sold it to. He toured it for a year. When he dropped it off, it was covered in duct tape - and I mean covered. He told me why but, for the life of me, I have no idea. I think I was too busy thinking WTF to tune in to the story. Anyway, a gallon of Goo-Be-Gone later, it's looking like new and still sounds like a million $$$. I retired it to the recording desk. If I didn't have the II, I would have no problem gigging the Ultra tomorrow. Phenomenal.

I'm getting my Ultra in about a week,I can't wait to explore all these posibilities that it offers.I just hope that the luck of updates won't be a problem...

damn, it was a long ride, tweaking stuff. You grow into it, learn so much. Still don't use the unit to its potential.

Guys that switched over to axe-fx 2 say its much easier to run, but I think thats mostly because they cut their teeth on the ultra/standard.

When I read the axe-fx 2 forum, there are a lot of new features/things to tweak. It sounds daunting.

I own both too and to me, the Ultra still has that special mojo! Just remember how everyone was blown away when it first came out! Well it still makes me smile everytime I plug it in! I don't really care if the SLO100 model is not accurate, it still sound awesome, like a custom modded model and on the end, that's all that matters!

I sometimes regret not keeping my Ultra. Nice backup and i had some really nice sounds in there with my Mesa 50/50 and cabs.

I with you guys on that one. Sure some models are not perfect but they sound so cool! I've dug the Ultra's presets and with a few tweaks here and there I have way too many sounds already to utilize in a lifetime of playing live. I can't see upgrading. The ultra is amazing. I have yet to push it to its limits.

You will LOVE it. It's a GREAT unit. I had mine for 5 years, I think, before I upgraded.

Thank you so much! I had many doubts when I was examining my options (Axe Fx Std,Ultra,Kemper,11rack) because of my limited budget but now because of you guys I feel great!

I've been reading old ''Ultra posts'' for about a week know and I'm realizing how amazing it will be.I don't care about copying an amp 100%,I care about the outcome.If it sounds good,it's good. (Yngwie Malmsteen quote) :D

Great Unit the Ultra is a monster you must invest some time tweaking the Axe, i have mine like 5 months ago (is my first Axe) and it's great the guy who sold me the axe to upgrading to the axe fx 2 miss the Ultra's sometimes

Back
Top Bottom