Ultra res/Producer pack live?

gdgross

Experienced
So I bit the bullet and purchased the OH Ultra Res producer pack the other day. Played around with them in the studio through my FBT monitors at a good volume and generally was pretty impressed. As others have mentioned, there was something more, alive, more 3d, more chewy to the new cabs.

I did notice however that after a few gigs this weekend that my sound was generally fizzier, for lack of a better description. I found myself rolling down the tone knob more often, and i just generally felt like my sound had some more high end that I wasn't used to. This is through different monitor situations, one IEM, and the other through a XiTone 2x10 cab. I didn't notice much of this when I was auditioning the new cabs in the studio, even when I was at pretty decent volume.

Has anyone else observed this? I generally stuck with the "median" mixes from the cab pack, although now I'm curious if either the "live" or "studio" mixes might tame that top end for me a bit. My gut says that the "live" mixes probably have more bite to them, but I really have no idea. Might have to do some experimenting with that...

As for the fizzy's, yea. sometimes if i tried to match up a similar cab as before it didn't work the same. So I loaded up my cab choices, closed my eyes (or rather stopped looking at the screen) and flipped thru them til I came across the tone I was looking for. It's very interactive, the same cab sounds a lot different with different amps. Use your ears instead of your eyes, you'll find what you're looking for.

I trusted the engineers that mixed the cabs so If OH had a speaker classified as vintage, I used the live vintage mix. Likewise if OH had a speaker classified as modern, I used live modern mix. I put them on cab X. then I put the SP mix on cab y. Jury is still out as for which mix set I prefer. Seems to vary by the day, guitar, room I'm playing in etc.

Question is, which IRs did you use before the OH UltraRes IRs?

As to which cabs I used before, they varied with the amp/preset, but generally from the latest cabs from fractal that they released several months ago - a lot of the av and TV Marshall cab mix, some of the 2x12 Alnico silver an blue mixes, some fender ish cab that I don't recall at the moment.

To replace the av and tv cabs I often picked the 4 12 v30 mix, the English one. Clearly not a 1 to 1 can at all, but I liked the way it sounded. To replace the vox cabs I'd been using, I think I used the OH 2x12 bogner with the silvers, but I can't remember now that I'm away from my axe and (home) computer.

Now that I'm talking about it, it seems to me that the patches that used the bogner 212 with silvers were the ones where I noticed the most fizziness, so maybe that's where I'll start looking.

And yeah I trust the engineers who mixed the IRs way more than myself, so I'm definitely starting with the mixes rather than the raw IRs. Lots of options even with the mixes though :)

I think that what you should compare, are the regular OH IRs against the UltraRes ones.
Because (depending on the exact IRs) the regular OH IRs also are brighter than the FAS Producer IRs.

I generally stuck with the "median" mixes from the cab pack, although now I'm curious if either the "live" or "studio" mixes might tame that top end for me a bit. My gut says that the "live" mixes probably have more bite to them, but I really have no idea.

Kevin's purpose when he created the "live" voicing was to tame some of the high end that FRFR users had been expressing concerns about. You in fact, were his target user! :)

For reference, here is the progression from bright to dark of the various Ownhammer voicings from this thread (http://forum.fractalaudio.com/axe-f...mix-bundles-modern-vintage-19.html#post935750). . . .

Another way to think about the mix voicings is vaguely similar, but not exact, to how my V1/V2 libraries are laid out with numbers where as you go from 1 to 5 you go from brightest to darkest (also loosely applicable descriptors):

Studio-Modern = 1 = Brightest
Studio-Vintage = 2 = Brighter
Median = 3 = Middle
Live-Modern = 4 = Darker
Live-Vintage = 5 = Darkest

Terry.

I trusted the engineers that mixed the cabs so If OH had a speaker classified as vintage, I used the live vintage mix. Likewise if OH had a speaker classified as modern, I used live modern mix.

The terms "vintage" and "modern" have a different meaning or purpose when describing Ownhammer speaker collections as opposed to describing voicings. When the context is speaker collections "vintage" simply means the speaker was manufactureed somewhere between the late 1950's and the mid-90's. Modern is mid-90's to current. However, when the context is voicings, Kevin is referring to the tonality of the microphone mix, and the mixes are useful and meant for any speaker in any of the mix collections.

Here's some information from an older thread (http://forum.fractalaudio.com/axe-f...-mix-bundles-modern-vintage-8.html#post901367) that puts this into context. . . .

Sorry for the dual use of the words, unfortunately they were the best words to describe each situation - one literal and one a textural adjective.

Modern vs Vintage in reference to the separate libraries:
- as noted in the product descriptions the Modern Collection consists of speakers manufactured after the mid 1990's
- as noted in the product descriptions the Vintage Collection consists of speakers manufactured before the mid 1990's

Modern vs Vintage in reference to the Mix files:
- as noted in the PDF, they consist of different microphone mixes
- Modern has a more forward, cutting sound
- Vintage has a more laid back, rounded sound
- as yek noted, there is a difference in the mids (in this collection), vintage having more of them

Terry.

Back
Top Bottom