Ultra Res IR cab pack (Mesa, Bogner,Two Rock,Matrix,Marshall ...)

Tonic

Inspired
Hi all!

I'm planning to capture a bunch of IR's in a very great professional studio.
All cabs will be in wav (I hope as long for Ultra Res of course).

The studio is a really great place with a very good acoustic and of course high quality gear.

Preamps: API, Neve 1073, Universal Audio 610-710, Focusrite red, Chandler,...
Microphones: Royer R-121, Shure SM57, Neumann KM84, Neumann U87, Sennheiser E609, Sennheiser MD421, Beyer M88, EV RE-20, Audio Technica AT4050,...

All captured with the Axe FX2 and a Matrix GT1000FX

Cabs are:

- Mesa Boogie 2x12 traditional (Vintage 30)
- Mesa Boogie 4x12 Rectifier (Vintage 30)
- Marshall 1960 A (G12T75)
- Bogner 4x12 straight Greenbacks (G12M25)
- Bogner 4x12 Ubercab Frontloaded (V30/G12T75)
- Bogner 2x12 Goldfinger (Scumback M75/G12H30)
- Bogner 2x12 Oversized (V30/G12H)
- Two Rock signature cab 212 (TR65/WGS65)
- Matrix NL12 (Century Vintage)

Different positions (close, far, room, back)

They will be available around 20th March (I'm going to the studio on the 15th and 17th March) ,so just one month to wait.

I prefer to have 4-5 good positions usable.
I think that IR's with so many good preamps are rare.

If you have some ideas or suggestions please welcome.

I dont think it's legal to sell them so I'll maybe share them for free and using a paypal donation solution.

I'll keep you in touch by email too about updates and I'll make some pics of the recording.

Anthony

PS:Sorry for my bad English (I'm speaking French haha :))

Last edited:
I suggest to shoot a few examples first. It really depends on the quality of the tone you can provide. If they sound good, then people will be interested in getting more, right away.

I suggest to shoot a few examples first. It really depends on the quality of the tone you can provide. If they sound good, then people will be interested in getting more, right away.

Yes of course,
I'll give some IRs in example before selling them.
But at this time I need to know how many people are interested in them.
I already have captured some free IR's (and I'll take this at a higher level thanks to a great studio recording and Ultra Res)

Axe FX 2 Presets and IR: Axe FX 2 IR's and presets Tonic collection

Just curious, anyone can shoot their cabs and sell them? do you need to have some sort of arrangement with FAS for royalties or what?

Just curious, anyone can shoot their cabs and sell them? do you need to have some sort of arrangement with FAS for royalties or what?

Good question...
Of course if it's illegal , I'll not sell them ;)
I want to refun the money invested in the recording but yeah you are right, I'll be using the Axe fx to capture them it would be logical.
So, if it's the case I'll remove my post.

Maybe Cliff would let you pay the monthly fee for hosting this forum, so you could use his site to start up your new business?

Maybe Cliff would let you pay the monthly fee for hosting this forum, so you could use his site to start up your new business?

HAHA.... in all seriousness though, because Ultra Rez is proprietary, I was just curious. I personally have no intention of trying to milk the Axe FX II modeling community. :p

BTW, if anyone knows how the "dump to USB" works I'd appreciate an explanation in another thread in this sub forum, Thanks!

If you read Cliff's comments, he tries to encourage IR-makers to create Ultrares IRs.
I don't see the problem here.

Yes to share them but I highly doubt that we can sell them.
My main goal is not to make an IR business, but just to have money to capture them in a great studio.
So I'll think about it and maybe share them for free with a donation paypal possibility

No. UltraRes is proprietary. Ownhammer and Redwires UltraRes will be sold through the Fractal Store.

What you may see happen to IR's at large is the wav captures will be longer than 170ms so they can be converted to UR with CabLab.

But if you capture IR's and then convert them yourself with CabLab, and resell them, you are pirating.

Ownhammer's Wav files for the latest release of 1x12 and 2x12 were already 500ms (the wav files are available for download on the OH site if you already purchased these speaker sizes) and can be converted to UltraRes once the new CabLab is released. Ownhammer's previous IR's were only 100ms and would not benefit fully from conversion to UltraRes. Of course, they compiled the UltraRes pack being sold in the Fractal Store, which includes some 4x12 cabs, but it will be awhile before the wav files are made available to people who already own the OH collection of 4x12's so they can convert them with CabLab.

Wouldn't IR capturing with the AF2 and selling the IRs be the equivalent of recording with the AF2 and selling the music? I don't see a problem here, and I do like your existing Bogner Greenback IRs Tonic.

If you read Cliff's comments, he tries to encourage IR-makers to create Ultrares IRs.
I don't see the problem here.

I think he meant, he is working with the established IR makers to partner together by converting their IR's to UltraRes....so the product can be sold in the Fractal Store. Since it is only going to function in a Fractal product, it would do them no good to sell UltraRes processed IR's to any other market segment. Cab Lab will have the conversion capability - for private use - not for commercial enterprise. If you want to start an IR company, and offer UltraRes versions of those for sale - you would have to partner with Fractal. If you want to shoot IR's and convert them to Ultrares for your own personal collection - go right ahead.

I have a barbeque grill in my backyard. I can grill all the weenies I want. But if I put up a sign, and a drive-thru speaker, and start charging, the health inspector is going to come and shut me down - I haven't cleaned my grill in a long time (but that makes everything taste better).

You can sell .wav files no problem. In order to sell Ultrares files directly you may be required to buy a commercial license for cablab.

Even if the .wav file has 170ms or more of samples, I wonder what benefit, if any, you get, if in fact, there is no energy in the .wav file say after 43ms or so?

I would guess the benefit comes when the IR .wav file actually has some valid data way out to 170ms and beyond before the UR processing would be value added?

Back
Top Bottom