Ultra preset names cannot be edited

jcm800

Hi All. I couldn’t find this issue discussed anywhere so forgive me if it has. I have recently dug out my old Ultra with fw 11.0 installed to sell, but have run into an extremely frustrating issue. (ULTRA was put away when I got my Axe fxII). If anyone can dig back in their own memory banks it would be appreciated.
The Ultra functions / sounds as it should, except for the fact that I am unable to change the preset names either through Axe Edit (which functions perfectly otherwise), or directly on the hardware unit itself. The preset name will initially show up as intended but then reverts back to the name with some of the characters off by one letter. For example if the preset is Studio Lead it shows up as Studin!Lebd or Crystal Echoes displays as Crysual!Ecioes. As you see in my examples it often replaces a space with an ! Which is next to the space / blank character when using the rotary dial
All presets display properly when choosing axe edit files, or other computer files as the “source“ file in Axe Edt.
It doesn’t matter how many times I edit and save the name to the unit I still get the same result. Even when I transfer the factory banks into the unit there is no change. Even though the transfer is successful.
Any suggestions would be much appreciated.
Mark

My first suspicion would be that the internal battery in the Ultra might be on the way out and needs replaced

No experience prior to Axe Fx II BUT this doesn't sound like an issue with "cannot be edited" because clearly you CAN edit them.

It sounds like an issue with "not displayed correctly" or maybe "not saved correctly" although my gut says it's the former.

I would open it up and check all the ribbon cables are seated correctly and nothing else is loose.

It really sounds hardware related to me... It could even be something up with the display, as some displays store the character sets internally.

You can always contact Fractal support. They might have ideas.

What happens if you save a preset? Does the saved name look correct or also wrong? That might be a clue...

Thanks for responding guys. When I save a preset it reverts back to the incorrect one as soon as I change the preset number.
I am starting to think it is hardware related and may just be the battery as suggested.
I’ll certainly take the advice given and hope for the best.
Cheers

Thanks for responding guys. When I save a preset it reverts back to the incorrect one as soon as I change the preset number.
I am starting to think it is hardware related and may just be the battery as suggested.
I’ll certainly take the advice given and hope for the best.
Cheers
If the battery is bad you'll lose your Global settings when powering off as well as (I believe) any presets and user IRs.

Try changing some global setting, power off/on and see if it's still as you set it...

Back
Top Bottom