Ultra or Fx8 mk11

MICK

hi I have a chance to get ultra and mfc at a really good price I'm still going to use my amp anyway but I want all the effects of the ultra, I want to use it like a foot switching system but for a few quid more I could get the new fx8 mk11 which would be a good buy,

I had an Ultra and have a AX8. Never owned an FX8. Amp modeling improved a lot from the Ultra to the latest fractal firmware. That doesn't matter if you are using a tube amp. But the drives also improved a lot. If you want to use the drives, there is a pretty significant difference with the latest firmware. (I used to some external pedals. I don't anymore.) If you mainly want the modulation effects, there's not that much difference. The AX8 is built like a tank. Presumably the FX8 is, too.

Can someone tell me can the ultra be used just as a multi effects unit (i.e.) bypass and the amp sims and cabs and just use the effects with your own amp

I don't own an FX8
Can someone tell me can the ultra be used just as a multi effects unit (i.e.) bypass and the amp sims and cabs and just use the effects with your own amp
Yes, it can be used as a multi effects unit. Each preset is a blank slate. You choose which blocks to put in, the order, etc. and can choose where your fx loop (if used) will be. Any block in the preset can be bypassed.

Back to your 1st post: I own an Ultra, Axe II MKII, and an AX8. If you just want to use the unit for fx then I'd go with the FX8. The reason is that the FX8 includes the pedal board so you don't have quite as many cables to worry about. Some of the fx (reverbs, drives, etc) have been improved since the Ultra days. It's still receiving updates so you'll have the latest fx capabilities, bug fixes, etc. Finally, all of the Ultras have been around for a while. Mine still works fine and is worth keeping, but if you don't mind spending a little more I'd get the latest device that's made to do exactly what you say you want to do.

Last edited:
Note that the Ultra is WAY more powerful than a AX/FX8.

I use one with tube gear and it easily manages around 18 - 20 FX in FX only mode. There is a bug where you can run out of PRAM so I tend to stick to 18 FX as my max to avoid it, though it depends on which FX are in use (this bug doesn't exist if the amp models are used as you run out of CPU before it's triggered etc).

I make multiple FX chains and switch between then, plus the Ultra mixes/switches my two tube preamps as well.

If the 8 FX of the AX8/FX8 are enough go that route, though if you need more the Ultra will do it!

Back
Top Bottom