Ultra + Interface = All I need?

zerolight

Inspired
So I plan to get an Ultra - hopefully sooner than later - to replace my PODXT. I don't gig, so am looking for something for both computer recording, and for playing via headphones. I'd prefer the ultra over the Axe-PC so that I don't need to be tied to a PC (well Mac) whenever I wanna just play. I'm guessing that all I'm gonna need is an Ultra and a USB Interface with Midi, Stereo In/Out, and a Headphone socket, right? Something like the Tascam US-144 or US-122? Can you really say all and Ultra in the same sentence.

Thanks.

Try to find a interface with digital in. That way you can utilize the AxeFX digital out. Make sure to check the list of known compatible midi interfaces. Midi is a bit of a bitch sometimes, so you want a good start, which is a interface that is known to work well.

If not, you can get a box for it, like the midisport.

The Axe-fx doesn't have any headphone out, so you're correct to be shooting for an audio interface that has that feature.

I would highly recommend also planning to get a foot controller, preferably with one or two built-in (or plugged-in) expression pedals. You *can* use the Axe without this, but its power is tenfold once you start adding continuous control of parameters.

Daniel

Dpoirier said:
The Axe-fx doesn't have any headphone out, so you're correct to be shooting for an audio interface that has that feature.

I would highly recommend also planning to get a foot controller, preferably with one or two built-in (or plugged-in) expression pedals. You *can* use the Axe without this, but its power is tenfold once you start adding continuous control of parameters.

Daniel

Any decent audio card is going to have a headphone jack, but you can plug headphones into the Axe-Fx by buying a simple Y-cord for $8 and plugging that into one of the output L/R jack pairs and into the headphones.
Like this: http://www.long-mcquade.com/?page=products&ProductsID=3271

If you plan to listen to your Ultra via the headphone out of the soundcard, make sure that the soundcard has zero-latency-monitoring which routes the input signal (the Ultra) directly to the headphones. If it does not have zero-latency-monitoring, the signal will get into your computer, into the DAW-software and back out of the soundcard = latency = the sound will be delayed by an annoying amount of time.
To remedy this, I would get whatever soundcard (cheap is good, but MIDI should work with the Axe-Fx) and get either a cheap Behringer/Samson/... headphone amp or a cheap little Behringer/Samson/... mixer for monitoring without the need to run your whole computer setup.

vinnieRice said:
jerotas said:
Any decent audio card is going to have a headphone jack, but you can plug headphones into the Axe-Fx by buying a simple Y-cord for $8 and plugging that into one of the output L/R jack pairs and into the headphones.
Like this: http://www.long-mcquade.com/?page=products&ProductsID=3271

Wha? That's not going to work surely. Where's the headphone amp? :shock:

Headphone amp is not required. I did this plenty of times on the Vetta out of the twin 1/4" line-level outputs (not speaker jacks). I see no reason why the Axe-Fx line level outputs would be any different.

Thanks guys.

My Mac has a digital in, so I have that covered when I need it. I need the interface primarily for the headphones, midi updates, and it won't hurt to use it as an input in case the Mac's digital in is rubbish. Trying to do this on a budget as the Axe is very expensive. Future plans would be to get a foot controller / pedal board and some studio monitors.

So, zero latency monitoring... does the Tascam offer that, or are we looking at hefty expensive for a suitable interface? Would I be better just sending the output to a cheap mixer and using that for headphones, then using the digital in on the Mac for recording? Doh, but then I'd still need Midi for updates. Pah.

Double Doh. Re-read Rif's post... Mixer and Cheap interface.

Back
Top Bottom